Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #176
KontanKarite

Actually, the best way to dress eccentric and be different is when you become the envy of every silent voice and all you ever hear is praise for being so cool.

Stick to that philosophy and you can pretty much be as eccentric as you want.

Don't dress odd in hopes for drama. Dress odd because it's who you are and that you are free of the confines of common and mundane expectations.

Make friends, not enemies.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #177
prophecyofdoom

I enjoy being noticed, when it's not in an intrusive way. Anonymity is not in my nature.

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #178
ionic_angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophecyofdoom
I enjoy being noticed, when it's not in an intrusive way. Anonymity is not in my nature.
Yes! Exactly. There is no fun to be had, in my opinion, in just "blending in".
ionic_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:03 AM   #179
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Don't dress odd in hopes for drama. Dress odd because it's who you are and that you are free of the confines of common and mundane expectations.

Heh heh. Best explanation ever. XD

To add to that, I dress oddly [when I feel like it] because then at least I can say to myself, "Hey, that guy is staring at me because I have blue hair and interesting clothes" rather than "Hey, why is that guy staring at me, it's creeping me out."

At least with Gothism, it gives me something to aspire to fashion-wise..
Old 03-12-2008, 07:05 AM   #180
Tam Li Hua

Oh, and about xenophobia...

After living in Asia for a while, I'm pretty sure the correct definition is "irrational paranoia or fear of foreigners and/or strangers". I think a lot of small Japanese towns are like this, or used to be...
Old 03-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #181
Opteron_Man

Why even metion it if you don't care? So your Goth, good for you.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #182
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
The same reason you'd look at a guy covered in shit and singing Chim-chim-cheer-e weird.
I love you!!

But yeah to the OP, shut up. If you look in the mirror before you leave house, and you know you look weird as shit, but are happy with how you look, nothing else should matter. If it does, go put on a polo shirt, some jeans, and a pair of nikes.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #183
xCrimsonx

I do not care if someone stares at me because they really have reason to it.
The only thing now that is diffrent before i had this style is that I did choose it. Before i thoght everyone stared at me so i got paranoid :P
But now its better and they can stare if they want. I just dont care much
xCrimsonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #184
Godslayer Jillian

People staring at me has become a part of my life. It's not something I 'ignore' so that I won't feel bad; it's just simply normal for me, just as that there are clouds in the sky, and I don't go around saying "OMG clouds!"
It's my friends that make a big deal that people stare at me. Some feel annoyed people look at me weird. Some like that people turn to look when they're with me.
As for myself, I like wearing political stuff on my clothes so that if they stare at me, at least I have given them a social message, even if not all of them know who the Zapatistas are or what's wrong with Nike.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #185
blackwater1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Actually, the best way to dress eccentric and be different is when you become the envy of every silent voice and all you ever hear is praise for being so cool.

Stick to that philosophy and you can pretty much be as eccentric as you want.

Most awesome. I went to a big outdoor drinking party last night, and the fun thing about it was, that everyone who I knew was comfy with me being goth because they saw past it at my attitude, and some of those people who didn't know me came up and said they had seen me around school and had wanted to meet me because I seemed "interesting." One friend came up to me really really drunk and said, "listen, I just wanted to tell you that you're really awesome." I found all of this fascinating, because, being the only "goth kid" at my school (it's very small), I've had to reconcile my identity as a personal thing, and not as a group thing; instead of just seeking out other "goth kids," I've hung out with a lot of diverse and interesting people who I would never have thought I would meet or get along with. The only way to seemingly explain this paradox, is that it is just as Kontan said--when you are yourself, no matter who that is, without reservations, people don't care who you are, they just admire the fact that you are you, without compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
People staring at me has become a part of my life. It's not something I 'ignore' so that I won't feel bad; it's just simply normal for me, just as that there are clouds in the sky, and I don't go around saying "OMG clouds!"
It's my friends that make a big deal that people stare at me. Some feel annoyed people look at me weird. Some like that people turn to look when they're with me.
I was hanging out at the beach with my father one day, long after I had started dressing unconventionally, and he pointed out that people were watching me. I looked around and, surprisingly, there were a lot of people eying me; I had forgotten that, although I'm used to dressing as I do, and that it seems the 'norm' relative to my life, other people would consistently be perceiving me as different from their perspective. It's true, after a while, you become so accustomed to people's reactions that you don't even process them anymore.
Quote:
As for myself, I like wearing political stuff on my clothes so that if they stare at me, at least I have given them a social message, even if not all of them know who the Zapatistas are or what's wrong with Nike.
That's actually really brilliant. I do something of that nature in that I wear shirts with thought-provoking quotes on the back, because then when people do look at me, they might read the quote and think about it, which would be like positively affecting complete strangers.
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote