Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
Liberty

Do you play guitar?

I've been playing for just about a year now, but have unfortunately reached a dead end if you will when it comes to progressing and refining my skills. I've had a lot of trouble finding inspiration lately as well. I'm hoping some of the more experienced out there will give me some tips and advice. One of the biggest issues for me right now is the fact that I've been stuck on a song that I've been writing for months now. Thanks in advance!
Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
BourbonBoy

While I'm not a guitarist, I do appreciate artistic endeavors and recommend Zakk Wylde for people who play the guitar. I honestly think he's the last Guitar God myself
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:52 AM   #3
Lyonel

I've been playing guitar since I was 13. It's my life's joy and meaning honestly. lol I've been there, I remember when I struggled so much with learning how to guitar solo. I spent a lot of time trying to understand solos on tabs. I had no problem reading tabs, but the solos had so many numbers it was almost unbearable when I was younger. One day I came to the realization to know what scales are traditional in the style you're playing and practice them a lot.

Pentatonic scales are the heart of blues and rock and roll music, so I spent a lot of time trying to get my finger speed up playing them. I came to find out, using backing tracks to the songs (which you can find plenty of on youtube) I was practicing while doing those scales really helped me understand better how a solo works and I learned how to finally just play them and a lot of music by ear. Backing tracks are huge help.
Lyonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
Liberty

Ok cool I'll keep that in mind thank you guys.
Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #5
batbratwolfheart

Wink dont give up my friend

i love guitar its one of the few things i enjoy doing okay thats a lie i have too many hobbies but i love guitar its fun but difficult to learn i find that getting to the level i want is very frustrating i completely understand your situation just dont give up
batbratwolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:31 AM   #6
Diessa

Yes, play always
Diessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:14 PM   #7
Sinjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
I've been playing for just about a year now, but have unfortunately reached a dead end if you will when it comes to progressing and refining my skills. I've had a lot of trouble finding inspiration lately as well. I'm hoping some of the more experienced out there will give me some tips and advice. One of the biggest issues for me right now is the fact that I've been stuck on a song that I've been writing for months now. Thanks in advance!
Write songs. Seriously.
The best guitarists are inventive with their ethic, but that doesn't come from thin air. Simplicity and embracing the root notes will save you, because it saved me. I'm my favorite band guitarist for the time being-what draws you will entice you in the process even when it seems like you're at a halt. Branch out if you have to.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:56 AM   #8
Saclen

I study only. But it very likes me. I hope that I will play soon.
Saclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:16 PM   #9
Jeztone

Yes I play guitar. Currently in this lot which is more of a Shoegaze meets Classic Rock type band.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/26bn...ZQ&dl_branch=1
Jeztone is offline   Reply With Quote