Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Saya

Bitch, Please

The 30 Harshest Author On Author Insults In History:

http://flavorwire.com/188138/the-30-...lts-in-history

I never wanted to dig old men up and argue with them before.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Waldo Emerson
on Jane Austen:

“Miss Austen’s novels . . . seem to me vulgar in tone, sterile in artistic invention, imprisoned in the wretched conventions of English society, without genius, wit, or knowledge of the world. Never was life so pinched and narrow. The one problem in the mind of the writer . . . is marriageableness.”
that's pretty accurate actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain

on Jane Austen

“I haven’t any right to criticize books, and I don’t do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticize Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can’t conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Every time I read ‘Pride and Prejudice,’ I want to dig her up and hit her over the skull with her own shin-bone.”
AWWWE YEAH!!!

I hate Jane Austen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
Sinjob

I read what Capote had to say about Keroauc, "that's typing"-and am in full agreement with the great Vidal that he is a full-fledged housewife from Kansas with all his prejudices.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
JCC

I would fucking box Vladmir Nabokov right now over that Dostoevsky shit. COME AT ME BRO.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
CuckooTuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjob View Post
I read what Capote had to say about Keroauc, "that's typing"-and am in full agreement with the great Vidal that he is a full-fledged housewife from Kansas with all his prejudices.
But you can't hate the art because the artist has some ridiculous views on pretty much everything... well, you can, but you'd have to strike LOADS of good things off your list.

Personally, I like Kerouac - he wasn't the greatest writer ever to grace the world, by any means. But I think the guy was talented, and despite how fucked up he was, I find his worldview was essentially full of beauty and good intentions. Which, granted, is easy enough to achieve when you're tripping balls all the time... but still. Visions of Cody is just a stunning piece of work. Big Sur is bloody good, On the Road is overrated but still has its moments. In fact, the only book of his I've read that really left me "meh" was Maggie Cassidy.

One of the few novelists on my all-time list who springs to mind as brilliant, talented, engaging, AND morally beautiful, is Kurt Vonnegut. Apart from him, my favourite books collection is peppered with cuntery.
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
Sinjob

Don't get me wrong In Cold Blood is a fine book.

I don't hate the art, I hate the artist.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
CuckooTuli

Oh, sorry, ignore my last post - irrelevant. I thought you were talking about Kerouac when I was drunk-posting. I got all earnest about it and everything. The clue should've been in the housewife comparison.

So very, very suave...
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
I would fucking box Vladmir Nabokov right now over that Dostoevsky shit. COME AT ME BRO.
I'm willing to put that one down as jealousy. But Nabokov sounds like a smack talking bitch regardless.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
Alan

“An enthusiasm for Poe is the mark of a decidedly primitive stage of reflection.”
I'm gonna start quoting that on introduction threads.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
AshleyO

I'm with Alan to a small degree.
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
“An enthusiasm for Poe is the mark of a decidedly primitive stage of reflection.”
I'm gonna start quoting that on introduction threads.
I am going to chalk that one up to jealousy. I have known Poe's Pit and the Pendulum since childhood, yet at 55 never heard of Henry James until now.

Oh, the irony.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #12
AshleyO

To be brutally honest, there's really only a handful of Poe stories that I found enjoyable. I chalk a lot of that up to the fact that the language is just redundant. Lovecraft is kind of similar in this regard. I do enjoy a writer with a bit more precision and frankness.
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote