Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
Maggoty Anne

The most ungoth band you like?

What is the most unbelievably ungoth band you listen to?
For me i'd say it's bloodhound gang.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #2
Extraordinary

They still exist?
Old 06-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
Kraven de Sade

They're more goth than most people give them credit for... the word "blood" is in the name...

xD
Old 06-11-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
Underwater Ophelia

ABBA, Britney Spears, Shakira.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
Extraordinary

Ophelia, you're one of those girls who are going to grow out of being goth before you're 20.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
La_Mort_Heureuse

Hmm. The Beatles, Jethro Tull, and Fiona Apple are probably the least goth artists to whom I listen. Oh, and showtunes. I love showtunes, but not the pop ones (no Wicked, no RENT, no Phantom of the Opera). I like the classics (Sondheim, Kander & Ebb, Bernstein, etc.).

Maybe I'm a bad goth, but whatever. I listen to what I like, not what I "should" listen to in order to profess my gothitude.
La_Mort_Heureuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:11 PM   #7
Raptor

I listen to loads of stuff thats not goth at all. I like Placebo, Children of Bodom, Rammstein... sometimes I still listen to Blink 182. Doesn't bother me what people think of that, I know what I like. I didn't really listen to any goth bands before I came here anyway, and even though I've found lots I like, its not going to stop me listening to the other stuff too.

And I think I'd bet against that Extraordinary
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:19 PM   #8
Extraordinary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
And I think I'd bet against that Extraordinary

Realistically, probably none of the teenagers on this board are going to stay the way they are beyond teenage years. Of course every single one of them would argue how committed they are, but hey, I've seen it happen every time, and I can't say I've ever known one person who was a teenaged-goth and stuck with it. But what do I know?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
Romantic Raven

There are many bands I like that aren't goth. For example, I listen to Doom, Black and Gothic Metal, and sometimes even Pagan and Celtic music.
"I have cultivated my hysteria with delight and terror. Now I suffer continually from vertigo, and today, 23rd of January, 1862, I have received a singular warning, I have felt the wind of the wing of madness pass over me." - Charles Baudelaire
Romantic Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
Raptor

And you're intitled to your opinions. I just don't think that going from 19 to 20 is a big difference. Maybe you're right, but time will tell.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:25 PM   #11
Romantic Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary
Realistically, probably none of the teenagers on this board are going to stay the way they are beyond teenage years. Of course every single one of them would argue how committed they are, but hey, I've seen it happen every time, and I can't say I've ever known one person who was a teenaged-goth and stuck with it. But what do I know?
I regret to inform you that there aren't only teenagers on this forum. There are many adults who have started being goths from their teenage years and who remained loyal to their dark inclinations later on in life. Goth is not something you grow out of, it's something you grow into.
"I have cultivated my hysteria with delight and terror. Now I suffer continually from vertigo, and today, 23rd of January, 1862, I have received a singular warning, I have felt the wind of the wing of madness pass over me." - Charles Baudelaire
Romantic Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:30 PM   #12
Raptor

Yeh, growing into goth is what I feel like I'm doing. So I only have just over a year and a half to finish doing that and then grow out of it?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #13
dreamydancer

I like Pet Shop Boys and The Sneaker Pimps.

~Clan of Xymox
dreamydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #14
badteccy

Beck, The Spice Girls, Ladytron...etc.

Quote:
Ophelia, you're one of those girls who are going to grow out of being goth before you're 20.
Just because she likes a few very non-goth bands? Well, that doesn't make a lot of sense.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #15
Paigeybobert

A lot of rap, Celine Dion - Yeah, now I forget the rest.
Paigeybobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:37 PM   #16
Extraordinary

No, the music has almost nothing to do with it. I'm constantly surprised about how many of you guys insist gothic is about the music...I don't see what it has to do with the music at all. If anybody was really that moved by music and vampire movies that it inspired them to become gothic, then it's definite that the gothness is going to wear off for you. I didn't mean that because Ophelia listens to Britney Spears that she's not a "true" goth, come on...how cliche is that? It's a combination of things. Few people on here are really fundamentally different than anybody I've seen on any non-goth forum. Sorry if I'm just not buying every single persona. I don't think that's an offensive thing to say, so if you find it offensive, feel free to tell me why.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #17
Raptor

I don't quite get your point, you said she was going to grow out of being a goth based on the other music she likes? And now you're saying gothic isn't about the music? I don't find you offensive.
Anyway this is all off topic. What ungoth bands do you like?
Old 06-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #18
honeythorn

I would say..AFI is the most non goth band for me. And what little metal I listen to as well.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:16 PM   #19
Minyaliel

Umm... *thinks*

Well, for starters, there's show tunes. I'll be studying in a musicals class next year, so, yes, I love show tunes. I also love rockabilly, especially Elvis and the Stray Cats ("Rockabilly rules, okay!"). I have always loved folk music, especially irish/ scottish, but also norwegian/ german. Then there's ballads. I still love Celine Dion's ballads, and romantic spanish ballads a la Ricky Martin. Actually, I love his music; he was one of my teenage crushes. Then there's the jazz - Sinatra and all those folks, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, 60's stuff. Oh, and meditation music, and folkrock/ metal a la Subway to Sally, and....
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:45 PM   #20
Splintered

Quote:
You do realize what you basically did right?

You inserted an assumption, and then made a claim in which it would defeat any counter argument. It leaves no room for disproving. No matter how hard I could try and demonstrate a counter argument, your argument would still resume to "As I said, everyone will argue as to how committed they are."

To retort this, I simply have to say: There are quite a few from many days gone by who didn't leave when they graduated from being a teenager. How else would the subculture survived?

I like;
Linkin Park, Public Enemy, Cypress Hill, and an assload of techno and electronic music.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #21
badteccy

Wow, the goth movement WAS and is mostly about music. I mean, hurf durf. I'm not offended...I just think you are waaaaaaaaay off about this,
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:05 PM   #22
Haunted House

Quote:
No, the music has almost nothing to do with it. I'm constantly surprised about how many of you guys insist gothic is about the music...I don't see what it has to do with the music at all.
Gothic Rock is a music genre and goths are the people who love it and listen to it. Any one person who has lived to 20 years old and still listens to gothic rock has proven you wrong. Anyone who is over 19 and has discovered gothic rock and the subculture that is its following has proven you wrong. Done and done.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:16 PM   #23
Miss_Hazie_Lane

I'm from Barcelona, they're incredibley sweet and happy
Miss_Hazie_Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #24
Extraordinary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintered
You inserted an assumption, and then made a claim in which it would defeat any counter argument. It leaves no room for disproving. No matter how hard I could try and demonstrate a counter argument, your argument would still resume to "As I said, everyone will argue as to how committed they are"...How else would the subculture survived?

Obviously -- it's not like there's something to debate. I can't prove anything, you can't disprove anything, and nobody has to believe a word I say. The only reason I added "everyone will argue anyway" is because trying to refute it (like you're doing) would be futile: You and everybody else can make whatever claims you want, but until you hit twenty years old, it's only presumption.

And I don't know how the 'subculture' survived, but 1.) does it not include teenagers and 2.) how many joined the "subculture" after their teens?
Old 06-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #25
Extraordinary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted House
Gothic Rock is a music genre and goths are the people who love it and listen to it. Any one person who has lived to 20 years old and still listens to gothic rock has proven you wrong. Anyone who is over 19 and has discovered gothic rock and the subculture that is its following has proven you wrong. Done and done.

1. I didn't mean that music has nothing to do with the "gothic subculture", I meant that music has nothing to do with my statement about Underwater Ophelia. Although I still don't see how gothic/death rock is related to Edgar Allan Poe.

2. Nowhere did I say, "There is not a single person in the world who became and stayed gothic from teens to adulthood." In fact, I never said anything about the people outside of this very forum. Good try, though.