Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:14 AM   #1
Nosferatu-1967

Original Goth

Bauhaus,Sisterhood,Siouxsie & the Banshees,Alien Sex Fiend,Sex Gang Children...These are a few of the bands i love,i was there when these bands first started and i think since then gothic has lost its way,ive been a goth since 1979,Bauhaus(Pete Murphy & co)got me started and i havent looked back since,but now the boundaries have blurred...whats an EMO?? Gothic is a passion,art literature poetry and music,i have to say goth is in the heart,in itself an art form,its not about doom and gloom..see the girl in the red dress...eyes of fire yet lips so tame (Fields of the Nephilim) no doom or gloom there just poetry to music,take a listen to crowds by Bauhaus...its a love song...gothic has lost its way,The sisters of mercy,the mission(NOT the mission uk)thats an american interpretation..all these bands put poetry to music.i admit some gothic is doom and gloom but i think its been taken too far.But i rant,books Edgar Allen Poe,H.P.Lovecraft,Mary Shelly,Bram Stoker and even Charles Dickens.Films Near Dark (grown up Lost Boys),John Carpenters Vampires,Dusk Til Dawn,and of course Nosferatu.i am a passionate gothic,to end i have to say i never lost touch with the scene,Blood and Roses, Hearts and Flowers,Love and peace,romance and passion all contribute to being a goth.
Nosferatu-1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:12 AM   #2
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Welcome. And Edgar's middle name is spelled Allan, not Allen. Made the same mistake myself. I like your taste in music, but I like Mission U.K. too.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:01 AM   #3
Steppenwolf

Wellcome to gnet , hopefully Ill see you around here . Original goths are the exception (not only here) , and you all have a lot to share with us ...
Old 10-29-2008, 05:05 AM   #4
Bat Attack

Shit man, those words are just flying everywhere.
Bat Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:01 AM   #5
Tam Li Hua

Hrm. I'm a bit skeptical about your age, but I'll put it aside for now. Welcome to G.net! ^_^

I rather enjoy The Mission UK, though they aren't my favorite. I haven't been able to find just The Mission, though.

As for the genre 'losing its way', I don't think it has at all; you have bands like The Birthday Massacre who still have that same sound, but are newer. Besides that, I don't really think the artists from back then were gung ho about starting a movement; they were just playing the music they liked to play.

Besides, if history is any indication, the bands that 'started' the Goth movement will last a long long time, and will still be available several centuries from now, as long as we don't blow ourselves up.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:15 PM   #6
Pantherlette086

Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
Bella Sophia

Hey, nice to meet you. I like your attitude. Hopefully you'll be around here a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_dreams
What the Hell is wrong with you!?!?! who the Hell kill's helpless and innocent babies? that's f***ing sick!!!
Don't you have anything better to do than pollute our forums?!?
Bella Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:10 AM   #8
Steppenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Attack
Shit man, those words are just flying everywhere.
Do they?
Steppenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:22 AM   #9
Tam Li Hua

Yeah, they really do unfortunately. But I have a feeling that a rather interesting person is under all that bad grammar.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:06 AM   #10
Man In Room 5

That wasn't an introduction. It was a rant...but it was interesting anyway. Glad to see you mentioned the movie Near Dark; it's underrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu-1967
whats an EMO??
Emo is "goth lite" for 13 year old wanna-be goths who don't want to make the full commitment. They mistake "emotional" for "gothic" as if any passionate display of any given emotion is gothic. They also seem to be woefully ignorant of any other aspects of either scene other than the music. IE: they can't discuss gothic literature or even any gothic movies made before they themselves were old enough to see them in the theater. Their desire to be emo and wrapped up in their own little emotional drama trips means they seldom look at the scene objectively or in the long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu-1967
and even Charles Dickens
I wouldn't put Dickens into the gothic column just because he wrote tear-jerker emo novels. A few years ago I gave away all my Dickens novels and then asked for them all back shortly later. Looking at them now, I can't imagine why I ever asked for them back. Huysmans called Dickens's works "charming novels which are so satisfying to invalids and convalescents who might grow fatigued by works of a more profound and vigorous nature" and I have to agree.

Anyway, welcome to Gnet.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #11
Albert Mond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5
Emo is "goth lite" for 13 year old wanna-be goths who don't want to make the full commitment. They mistake "emotional" for "gothic" as if any passionate display of any given emotion is gothic. They also seem to be woefully ignorant of any other aspects of either scene other than the music. IE: they can't discuss gothic literature or even any gothic movies made before they themselves were old enough to see them in the theater. Their desire to be emo and wrapped up in their own little emotional drama trips means they seldom look at the scene objectively or in the long term.
Emo takes more from punk than Goth, in my mind. Emo Music, for instance is essentially a genre of hardcore punk (with a mix of pop and metal thrown in). Plus, the style generally involves tight pants (another punkish thing). Wannabe Goths are wannabe Goths. Emos aren't.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:22 AM   #12
Desdemona

Welcome to gnet fellow newbie
You have great music taste
Desdemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #13
Beowulf

Hello and welcome, I hope you enjoy your time here !!!.

You have a brilliant taste in music !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:09 AM   #14
Dr. Unicorn

You seem like an enormous ass.
Case and point: ImariginalGgoth!
Dr. Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #15
Unimatrix 00

This site is a fucked up horrific shithole with people sick in the mind. They will make your life miserable.

Please, please please get out while you still can.

x x x x
Unimatrix 00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #16
Albert Mond

Beware the Ides of March!
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:38 AM   #17
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5
That wasn't an introduction. It was a rant...but it was interesting anyway. Glad to see you mentioned the movie Near Dark; it's underrated.

I wouldn't put Dickens into the gothic column just because he wrote tear-jerker emo novels. A few years ago I gave away all my Dickens novels and then asked for them all back shortly later. Looking at them now, I can't imagine why I ever asked for them back. Huysmans called Dickens's works "charming novels which are so satisfying to invalids and convalescents who might grow fatigued by works of a more profound and vigorous nature" and I have to agree.

Anyway, welcome to Gnet.
Dickens is amazing. Hard Times for These Times for the win.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #18
Opteron_Man

Welcome to Gnet
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote