Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 01-21-2005, 09:02 AM   #1
CptSternn

Goth - A Lifestyle Choice

For some reason, Europe is seeing a new resugence of all things gawth. There have been no less than 3 shows in the past week on RTE2 and a few on BBC about goths, vampires, and alternative lifestyles (which focused mainly on goths).

Anyway, after the last show the BBC updated their site with this brilliant article. Check it out...

Goth - a Lifestyle Choice

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A473924

Slán

-S
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:36 PM   #2
MrMaelstrom

Thanks for el linko dude.

Others who want more info should do an online search typing "goth with a sledgehammer".
Old 01-28-2005, 07:46 AM   #3
darkangel81

A very interesting view on the 'subculture', as it is called by the mainstream. I think that apart from the fact that individual Goths may disagree with certain details in this article, I think it has captured the "main idea" of the Goth lifestyle very well. For as far as there is a main idea. Like they say in the article, being Goth is being an individual.
darkangel81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 07:27 PM   #4
Jane13

I love how there are just eccentric people that overlap... like normal people wouldn't see them as goth, but are accepted by other goths as one of their own... and not posuers. I love outliers on charts. They didn't do so great in the industrial music department, though....
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 08:28 PM   #5
WolfMoon

It basically says what every other article I've ever read about our sub-culture says.And i don't agree with half of it, again.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 01:27 PM   #6
Disfunction

I can't help but feel that the definition isn't even significant anymore. It's seldom the miniority's view that is even addressed as the correct one, even if the minority is in reality closest to what is true. I've reached a point where I wage battle on a different plane; the sort where people call themselves vampires and I seek to hit them. That's my rebellion. Rebellion against the rebellion that's rebelling for sake of rebellion to conform to the rebellion's rebellion against conventional rebellion.

Convention, conformity, rebellion; it's all becoming the same to me. Let me write, let me draw, let me pain and sing; I've grown apathetic to anything that may be distinguished as a viable cause to follow.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 09:17 AM   #7
WolfMoon

There's a cause to follow?
Old 02-07-2005, 05:16 PM   #8
Jane13

I think it's funny how outsiders think we have something to prove or change or contribute.... simply because we are. Heh heh.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 02-07-2005, 06:51 PM   #9
Disfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
There's a cause to follow?
Nope, but "they" want you to think there is... They stuff you full of... stuffing... and where does that leave you? ...I don't know...

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:26 PM   #10
Jane13

Stuffing leads to turkey, and turkey is bad because you have to kill it to eat it. Turkey leads to Marajauna, which leads to Crack Cocaine, Which leads to DEATH! Dieing makes you goth

Sorry. My friend always says "You're not on druggs, so you have no excuse!".
-Cinema Strange
Old 02-08-2005, 02:32 PM   #11
Loy

I thionk the article got the vanity of goths right. Other than that....Goth, a lifestyle? Oh please, goth is nothing more than aesthetics posing as a philosophy, nothing more.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:38 AM   #12
akhira

WHetehr we have something to prove ore not doesn't matter to most outsiders. They who live in a comfortble little predictable world need to classify, categorize & pigeonhole evrything. Those few poor slobs who try to understand us ..inevabley mess up somthing in order to put us in an acceptable culture..

But you already knew that.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:36 AM   #13
TeapotScar

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhira
WHetehr we have something to prove ore not doesn't matter to most outsiders. They who live in a comfortble little predictable world need to classify, categorize & pigeonhole evrything. Those few poor slobs who try to understand us ..inevabley mess up somthing in order to put us in an acceptable culture..

But you already knew that.
1. I missed you.

2. Good point. I mean, people don't feel comfortable if they can't understand. I know if somebody says to me "You wouldn't understand." that's the most... killer sort of phrase.

3. You're purdy.

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:48 PM   #14
akhira

I missed too darlin. Missed all of you. (Stupid workload)

Yeah it would be a real irritant if someones said "you don't understand" to me. Especially if they just before, they were hypocritical & tried to patronize us regarding our lifestyle.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:33 AM   #15
skoteinh

Personally I found that this article was a good introduction for someone who has never heard the term "goth". that is why I printed it out and gave it to my boyfriend, who, until he met me, had no idea that such a thing existed...

(we'll talk about how difficult it is for a goth to be with a non-goth some other time - happens to me all the time)

I use that line ("you wouldn't understand") all the time. makes me feel superior :twisted:
Old 02-12-2005, 02:15 AM   #16
pitseleh

Heh. Nerds with fashion sense... some of the real hardcore computer/RPG geeks I know have long hair and wear black, but have no fashion sense... Plus, they listen to power metal, which is like the antithesis of style. None of those guys call themselves goths, or anything else for that matter, but of course they dig the whole style. Had to put my foot down and whip out my <Goth Authority> when one of them tried out the smudged Crow-makeup look, but generally speaking, those nerdy types are all-right!
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 05:59 PM   #17
Jane13

Deffinitely! Most of my friends are the ones that get labeled either geek nerd or punk (but both I and they know that they aren't punk). I like my friends because they're interesting... I don't get why people shun them 0.o
-Cinema Strange
Old 02-13-2005, 05:17 AM   #18
drgnlvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
Deffinitely! Most of my friends are the ones that get labeled either geek nerd or punk (but both I and they know that they aren't punk). I like my friends because they're interesting... I don't get why people shun them 0.o
Simple. Sheeple fear that which is different from them.
drgnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 07:14 AM   #19
Jane13

I like you, D! "Sheeple"... that's an awsome word
-Cinema Strange
Old 02-13-2005, 07:54 AM   #20
drgnlvr

Thanks! You're welcome to it! After all, I stole it fair and square from someone else.

Whoever first coined it is a genius, IMO.
drgnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 07:54 PM   #21
akhira

As long as "that someone else" hasn't "sheeple" copyrighted. :wink:

My friends don't get labeled as geeks by someone else, because practically the whole class consists of them. :shock:
Old 02-14-2005, 11:29 AM   #22
WolfMoon

Ha ha sheeple!

Imma use that word now!I normally use the old stand-by 'norms', but sheeple's just awesome!
Old 02-14-2005, 11:32 AM   #23
Deadhymn

you actually called people 'norms'? what a dweeb....
Deadhymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 11:48 AM   #24
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhymn
you actually called people 'norms'? what a dweeb....
Yes Jerk-ass, but now I have a new word!
Old 02-14-2005, 01:15 PM   #25
winged_dreams

I'm a geek and I have some fashion sense. Of course those nerdy types are all right! I am just so amazingly dorky. Yeah, I'm finished now.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote