Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 03-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
MissInformation

Gothic and Industrial Festivals in your area?

As I might have mentioned in my introduction post, I started self publishing a novel in May of 2007. Since then, I've had some sales, some online, in one case, a few sales at an author meetup.
However, I got the most in person sales at a gothic/industrial music festival called Black Sun. One key to sale of any item is knowing your demographic, as some of you clothiers, artists and creators among you know.
I don't really forsee Black Sun happening again for various reasons. I would like to know if anybody here has the weekend long music festivals in their home states, and if there is vendor space available. Not only would I like to sell off the stack of novels in my apartment, but I'd like a small vacation, a reason to travel, and of course the opportunity to meet board members in real life. Any information is helpful.
MissInformation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Heretic

While not music-specific, we have a couple of events here in Minneapolis that just might provide you with access to your target audience:

Minnesota CONvergence
July 1-4, 2010
Sheraton Bloomington Hotel

http://www.convergence-con.org

From the CONvergence FAQ:

"CONvergence is a convention for fans of Science Fiction and Fantasy in all media, and is held at the Sheraton Bloomington Hotel in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota on the first full weekend of July each year. CONvergence is a production of The Minnesota Society for Interest in Science Fiction and Fantasy, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, and acts as an annual fundraiser for that organization.

CONvergence features four days of nearly round-the-clock entertainment including: Local and National Guests, Two Full Floors of Cabana Room Parties, Panels and other Programming, Live Music and DJ Dance, Costume Contest/Masquerade, Cinema Rex Movie Room, Theater Nippon Anime Room, Dealers Room, Art Show and Auction, ConSuite, COF2E2 Free Coffee Shop, Harmonic CONvergence, Connie's Space Lounge, Silent Auction, and more!"

Goth Prom
May 17, 2010
The Saloon (Downtown Minneapolis)

http://www.myspace.com/gothprom

From City Pages:

"No matter what your gothic persuasion (or lack thereof), the Saloon's Goth Prom makes for an excellent party. If you're goth already, you'll feel right at home amid pounding industrial music and a sea of black eyeliner and pleather. If you're a "normal" by nature, you're still more than welcome; just don a little black, put on enough white makeup to render your visage pallid, and blend into one of the more visually interesting crowds in Minneapolis. Last year's theme was Steampunk, that delightful mix of sci-fi and Victorian sensibilities, with head-turning sights like shoulder-perched animatronic ravens, goggles, and lace-lined corsets. This year, the theme encompasses the alchemical elements of fire, air, water, and earth, hinting that the celebrants may be more colorfully arrayed than in previous years. With door prizes, drink specials, and live DJs, it has all the makings of a fun time even without the eye candy. There's no cover for the event, but a nonperishable food donation is requested; it'll go to a deserving food shelf. 18+. "

- Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
MissInformation

I'd love to do the gothic prom, except I'll be at a convention on the 15th for my webcomic and won't get the time off for the Tuesday.
MissInformation is offline   Reply With Quote