Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:39 AM   #1
Edward Strange

Scarlet Traces

Has anyone else read these rather swish Steampunk graphic novels?
I had the pleasure of receiving them for christmas and I've been happily thumbing through Scarlet Traces and it's sequel The Great Game since. If you don't know what Scarlet Traces is, then the idea is this...

...Basically it's a sequel to War of the Worlds. In the book it never suggests that the Martians landed anywhere other than Britain. So when the Martians all die out, they leave all this wonderful technology lying around for the industrious Victorians to incorporate into their lives and help the British Empire gain (and hold onto) 2/3's of the world's surface.
London Cabbies and Royal Cavalry have given up their traditional mounts for spider legged machines, while a modified version of the martian heat ray keep homes warm.

However, all these luxuries come at a price. One which is explored in terrible detail in Scarlet Traces.

Has anyone else read these wonderful books? What did you think of them?

Breathing heard just below the floorboards.
The sense of something terrible rousing itself from
from its torpor.
Edward Strange is offline   Reply With Quote