Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
gothicusmaximus

I'M A WrITEr

I thought Sir Helpmann brought up a good point in another thread. I'm still experiencing heart palpitations, because you don't see good points around here too often and running into one unexpectedly can be quite a shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpmann
The idea is terrible. Everyone on this forum that comes up with ideas for "novels", "comics" or "screenplays" will never get it done.

Want to know why?

Because they're all teenagers who don't understand how the fuck the world works.

HumanPain is an exception - he's middle aged and calls himself a "writer". That's cheap - he's not a writer, he isn't even published.HumanPain is an exception - he's middle aged and calls himself a "writer". That's cheap - he's not a writer, he isn't even published. Simply writing for internet forums does not make you a writer, nor does having a youtube account entitle you to the title "director".
We may have discussed this before, but I don't believe we've had a thread on it. I understand Helpmann's frustration with those who refer to themselves as 'writers', or do similarly annoying shit such as attempt to modify their statements with 'as I writer, I feel', yet can't name a single piece of their work which has seen print anywhere besides high school literary magazines, fanfiction dot net, or deadjournal. This would only be a small ideological grievance, but for the fact that the dignity of those people to whom the title 'writer' can reasonably be applied is besmirched through association with this piteous lot.
I recognize there is no way to curb the behavior of which I speak, but the solution to the problem may rest with those of us who take umbrage to it. Given the facility with language we possesses, this should not prove a difficult task.
From now on, with regard to my vocation, I will refer to myself exclusively as a mythscrawler.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
Eclipsing the Son

HumainPain is the worst kind of asshole. He comes to these forums, claims to be an accomplished writer and works members(typically females) of the forum into his 'stories' in the literature section. It's pathetic and pretty creepy actually.

Usually people won't challenge him because of his age and though I said some nice things about his work earlier I was probably being a bit lenient because he complimented my writing and felt that I should return the favor.

Since then he has been a straight up ass to me so I can be more honest. Beside his touch for communicating subtle relations between characters his timing and plotting is very bumpy and suffers from poor timing.

I agree with the statement above. The simple act of writing does not make you a 'Writer'. Just like Despanan being in some plays in college doesn't make him an 'actor'. The same way participating in 'cosplay' doesn't make shade a 'model'. The same way listening to two or three metal bands doesn't make Sanguine Mind a "Metalhead".
Eclipsing the Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
Sir. Helpmann

HumainPain isn't even published.

/thread
Sir. Helpmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
AngelikDemonik

Go to a goth club. There are more "models", "photographers", and "writers" than you can swing a dead cat at.

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelikDemonik
Go to a goth club. There are more "models", "photographers", and "writers" than you can swing a dead cat at.
Sad isn't it? I know exactly what you're talking about.

Especially regarding photographers - how the hell is anyone supposed to get recognized as a photograopher if all they photograph is badly dressed goth girls with nice tits?

They don't even know how the industry works - it's just a means for willfull morons to use a respected proffesion as a lie to try and get laid.

(which never works, unless the girl is 18 and grew up in a box)

Unless you're photographed by one of the greats, stop calling yourself a model girls... you're just a myspace tart who got photographed with proffesional lighting by a total mediocrity who'se parents could afford to waste money on their pipe dreams.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
AngelikDemonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir. Helpmann
Sad isn't it? I know exactly what you're talking about.

Especially regarding photographers - how the hell is anyone supposed to get recognized as a photograopher if all they photograph is badly dressed goth girls with nice tits?

They don't even know how the industry works - it's just a means for willfull morons to use a respected proffesion as a lie to try and get laid.

(which never works, unless the girl is 18 and grew up in a box)

Unless you're photographed by one of the greats, stop calling yourself a model girls... you're just a myspace tart who got photographed with proffesional lighting by a total mediocrity who'se parents could afford to waste money on their pipe dreams.

As you said in a different post, MySpace and deviant art have caused a lot of these types to attain undeserved, unwarranted egos...and they run with it.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #7
Albert Mond

Smile

Writing makes you a writer, and directing makes you a director. If they have unwarranted ego sizes, don't blame the internet: it's their own fault for taking their work too seriously. All it takes is money to get a book published (you can publish your own book and have it printed). Also, Helpmann's actual point seems to have been lost on you. The point was to annoy El.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtS
HumainPain is the worst kind of asshole.
HumanePain is a creepy old guy. Slabodan Milosevic is the worst kind of asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
Writing makes you a writer
Are we really going to quibble over semantics like this? Sure, in the sense that they all habitually use some medium to record sequences of words, individuals of the sort I'm addressing are technically writers. However, to say "listen bud, I'm a writer" or "speaking as a writer" implies some authority or clout that these people simply can't claim, as no one beyond they themselves and their personal circle of friends recognizes their work to have any value whatsoever.
I occasionally etch shapes in the margins of my notes, but to go around at a party introducing myself as visual artist would require me to be a delusional douchebag, and would probably be frustrating for any successful artist who might be in attendance, because social tact forces him to refrain from qualifying his statement that he, too, is an artist with "but the real kind, not the delusional douchebag kind".
There is 'writing' the immediate action, 'writing' the hobby, and 'writing' the vocation-- trust me, people know when they evoke each one.

Quote:
If they have unwarranted ego sizes, don't blame the internet: it's their own fault for taking their work too seriously.
I agree.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #9
AngelikDemonik

Quote:
Writing makes you a writer, and directing makes you a director. If they have unwarranted ego sizes, don't blame the internet: it's their own fault for taking their work too seriously. All it takes is money to get a book published (you can publish your own book and have it printed). Also, Helpmann's actual point seems to have been lost on you. The point was to annoy El.

I blame the internets for feeding said egos.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I don't know if this counts with you folks, but this was published last year:

http://angst-zine.com/archives/57

http://angst-zine.com/archives/83

I did not seek them, they asked me.

And also selfpublished on FictionPress dot com, but then fictionpress publishes anybody.

And I pride myself on being creepy, it's like, so Goth.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #11
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelikDemonik
I blame the internets for feeding said egos.
The internet is unerringly neutral, it can be a force for good or for ill. Just as it can unite great minds across oceans, so too can it bind two or more talentless hacks in a circle jerk of self-delusion. Stupid people, in their great numbers, will find each other and complement one another's 'art' no matter how little technology they're allowed, the internet just makes everything easier.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #12
Eclipsing the Son

Quote:
Also, Helpmann's actual point seems to have been lost on you. The point was to annoy El.

I can just as easily say that it was El's point to annoy us. Did you read that dreck?

You cannot possibly blame helpmann for not liking it.

Also. Aren't we supposed to be on ignore?
Eclipsing the Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #13
Saya

The internet is partly to blame, but without it people will just have their egos stroked by friends who don't have the heart to tell them they suck at writing. Back in the days of dial up and when posting something online meant nothing, "writers" were around.

You'd think the internet would make people feel that with anonymity they don't have to be nice.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #14
stolide

Things like that are annoying. I have an account on Deviant Art, I'm fairly active, but no one criticises my art... Even when I specifically ask people to they just tell me "It's great!" Most of the time they add the piece to their favorites without even telling me why. Then when I go to their page and ask them what made it good enough to favorite they get defensive...

I think the problem with saying you are a writer is that it is implied that writing is your primary source of income. Most of the time they were published once or twice in a magazine.

EDIT:http://stolide.**********.com/art/Th...iews-105733784 Here's a good example. In my comment I ask that they tell me what could make it better, and it is set to say "encourage advance critque" in the box they leave a comment in. "Dude it's epic" doesn't help me.
stolide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #15
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain

And also selfpublished on FictionPress dot com, but then fictionpress publishes anybody.

If it's not published on paper and recognized by any worthwhile critic, it's not worth reading.

Most educated people recognize that.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #16
gothicusmaximus

Quote:

That's almost embarrassing, dude.
I'm a good guy deep down, so if that website asked to publish something I wrote, I'd probably let them, but I wouldn't actually tell anyone else about it.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #17
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:

Ho, ha, ha, waa, haaa, you have nothing to threaten me with, nothing to do with all your strength!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #18
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
That's almost embarrassing, dude.
Why? Please critique. L'Oiseau Noir and blackwater were the only ones who would critique my work. I really want to know how to improve it, as most writers would, unless it is simply a matter of different tastes.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #19
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Why? Please critique. L'Oiseau Noir and blackwater were the only ones who would critique my work. I really want to know how to improve it, as most writers would, unless it is simply a matter of different tastes.
I didn't read your thing, I was talking about the page.
Maybe I'll take a look at it later.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #20
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
Who on earth are these people? Could I bring their names up in the presence of REAL writers without looking stupid?

I thought not.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #21
Man In Room 5

Why do I suspect this thread was started at least in part because of my taking the piss out of Alarica in the "I dont read much books" thread earlier today? If that is the case then I plead guilty and apologize to any offended parties (other than Alarica). I was being an exaggerated arrogant prick for the sake of argument but I did have a point I wanted to make.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #22
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5
Why do I suspect this thread was started at least in part because of my taking the piss out of Alarica in the "I dont read much books" thread earlier today? If that is the case then I plead guilty and apologize to any offended parties (other than Alarica). I was being an exaggerated arrogant prick for the sake of argument but I did have a point I wanted to make.
I have no idea what you're talking about, so I'm reasonably certain you don't need to worry about anything.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #23
ZyklonB

I got a book review published a very long time ago in a shitty teen newpaper/magazine thing called Teen Ink. Does that make me a writer?

/wanders off.
ZyklonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #24
Man In Room 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
I have no idea what you're talking about, so I'm reasonably certain you don't need to worry about anything.
I played the arrogant writer card pretty heavy on Alarica earlier today full well knowing that I sounded like the typical coffee house poseur writer.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #25
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZyklonB
I got a book review published a very long time ago in a shitty teen newpaper/magazine thing called Teen Ink. Does that make me a writer?

/wanders off.
It would have at the time. More specifically, it would have made you a reviewer.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote