Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
ape descendant

Awesome Lunar Eclipse

"Early in the morning on Dec. 21, a total lunar eclipse will be visible to sky watchers around the world. The eclipse is visible across all of North America -- for viewers in western states, the eclipse actually begins late in the evening of Dec. 20. Viewers in Greenland, Iceland and western Europe will be able to see the beginning stages of the eclipse before moonset. In western Asia, the later stages of the eclipse will be visible after moonrise. All of the eclipse will be visible throughout Mexico and Central America and northwest South America. Viewers in Peru, Chile and Bolivia will see most of the eclipse, but the moon will set before the end of the Penumbral phase. Viewers in Brazil will see the moon set during totality. Parts of Africa in the northwest will also see the moon set while it is eclipsed. All but the westernmost tip of Australia will see an eclipsed moon as it rises. Unfortunately most of Africa, the middle East and India will not have a view of this event. This map will help you determine the viewing in your area."

http://www.nasa.gov/connect/chat/lunar_eclipse.html

It is happening right now, and it is AWESOME!!

So, if you're in place where you can see it and you're up, I highly recommend taking a look at it, if you're in to celestial events.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
Corpsey

..... It's the middle of Summer and all I can see is clouds and 130kph speed winds pushing them...

Perfect lunar viewing material.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:19 AM   #3
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
We have widespread rain here in So Cal so can't see it, but I have seen a dozen or so in my lifetime anyway. Yes, they are awesome. I have seen comets too including Haley's comet, and saw the multiple comet strike on Jupiter. That was pretty cool, looked at Jupiter with my refracting telescope and could see black dots on Jupiter's disk. Gives one 3D perspective of our little solar system.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:46 AM   #4
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Unfortunately here in Wisconsin, its too cloudy outside to see it,I have never had the chance to see a total lunar eclipse, and unless I can travel to where another one is, I likely will never see one unless I live to be hundreds of years old. I wasn't alive during Haley's comet, I'll be lucky if I live long enough to see it's return, and I don't have a telescope to look at Jupiter.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
KontanKarite

I saw it. The moon was blood red. It was epic.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
Underwater Ophelia

It was pretty cool, but freezing.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
Beneath the Shadows

This is the fourth day straight for rain, so I missed it.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain View Post
We have widespread rain here in So Cal so can't see it, but I have seen a dozen or so in my lifetime anyway. Yes, they are awesome. I have seen comets too including Haley's comet, and saw the multiple comet strike on Jupiter. That was pretty cool, looked at Jupiter with my refracting telescope and could see black dots on Jupiter's disk. Gives one 3D perspective of our little solar system.
How big is your telescope? (oh that sounds really rude). Try a blue filter on the moon - it's wicked.

I missed the eclipse but there will be another one. I like the solar eclipses. I've seen Mercury and Venus transit the face of the sun.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
in.the.moon

Quote:
I have seen comets too including Haley's comet,.
I read a book that revolved around this comet!^_^
Random, I know...

I tried to see the lunar eclipse too but it was way too cloudy
in.the.moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
MergingEntropy

The eclipse was gorgeous!
My friends and I were out at our friend's farm where you could see the sky for miles & it was crystal clear. We also caught glimpses of the Ursid meteor shower. I was so glad it wasn't cloudy like they were predicting.
MergingEntropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:02 AM   #11
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by in.the.moon View Post
I read a book that revolved around this comet!^_^
Random, I know...

I tried to see the lunar eclipse too but it was way too cloudy
I misspelled Halley's comet, how embarrassing! Especially for one who in his teen years aspired to becoming an astronomer!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #12
Lascivia

I saw it on my way to work.. pulled the car over to have a proper gaze at it too
Lascivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:54 AM   #13
in.the.moon

Quote:
I misspelled Halley's comet, how embarrassing! Especially for one who in his teen years aspired to becoming an astronomer!
so what did you decide to be/do?
in.the.moon is offline   Reply With Quote