Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 07-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #26
Catch

Okay, I favorited the video. It was an okay comment. FEMA really took the spotlight.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:30 AM   #27
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Why would he mean Americans or white people when he said 'you people' in his comment? That obviously makes less sense than the idea that he was referring to the people commenting the video. If Alan wasn't Mexican, would you have suggested that he was calling out white people? You are an ass.
Really? Because if I went into a video on something involving a person of a different colour, race, nationality, or religion and started a comment berating them that started with 'you people', I'm pretty sure that would be considered very offensive.

If you don't see that, then you are either ignorant or being intentionally obtuse.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:31 AM   #28
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Wow dude. Seriously, where the hell did I accuse you of machismo?
You realize you're bringing up YOUR OWN accusations and getting all pissy about them, right?
No, you tried to play the race card by claiming Machismo was some sort of racial slur. Do you even bother to read your own posts here anymore? Is there even a filter between what you think and type?
Old 07-29-2011, 05:15 AM   #29
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Sternn, shut up with the whole Mexican thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
Excuse me? Where exactly did I 'bring that up' in my last post?
Here's "exactly" where you brought "that" up:

Quote:
First, refering to them as 'you people' is not the best way to address anyone. You people as in you damn Americans? You people as in you damn white people? Which 'you people' are you trying to 'teach'? Addressing anyone as 'you people' never goes well, Senor teacher.
It's not subtle. It's not confusing. It's not possible for you to claim you weren't suggesting he might be calling the race card in any context other than as a Mexican. It's not the first time you've used Alan's status as a Mexican as a point of negative commentary. Even before this post I had come to the conclusion that you are a not-so-closeted racist.

Three different people all saw the same thing in that post. Think very carefully about what approach you use in your next post when you deny it (because you will.) This is another example of why I've found myself largely avoiding opportunities to talk to you.

Quote:
Why would he mean Americans or white people when he said 'you people' in his comment? That obviously makes less sense than the idea that he was referring to the people commenting the video. If Alan wasn't Mexican, would you have suggested that he was calling out white people? You are an ass.
THIS. EXACTLY THIS.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:30 AM   #30
CptSternn

Addressing anyone as 'you people' is offensive, no matter what the circumstances. If there is a difference between you and them in any way, then you are saying that you are somehow superior to them. It is blatantly offensive and bigoted to start any statement with those two words. Period.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:22 AM   #31
Alan

Am I not people? Where am I making a difference?
you're a fucking dipshit. The only way your argument makes any sense is if YOU already assume that I will say 'you people' because I'm of a different ethnicity than you.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #32
Solumina

Is "you guys" offensive to you Stern? What about "you all"?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #33
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Is "you guys" offensive to you Stern? What about "you all"?
No, but I find that 'you people' is though. Are you suggesting it is an issue with local lexicon or a regionalised colloquialism that is to blame?

I could see that.

If you watch old films or films about early America in the 1920s - 1960s that is a phrase that is however associated with some extreme racism, which would be why I have an aversion to it when I hear it. Even if you look at films today that make fun of racism they often use that very line in racial jokes as it has a history of being a racial slur - Blazing Saddles, Bad Santa, Tropic Thunder, and the list goes on.

A quick Google will show I am not alone in thinking this -

http://www.google.com/search?q=you+people

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22you+people%22+racist

@Alan -

I don't have to assume your ethnicity for your slur to be valid. Your comments were made towards white, conservative, Americans. Does it matter if they are not aware of your background when you make a comment? Look at it from the other persons perspective. If a white, conservative, American went to a forum involving a group of liberal Mexicans and started a scathing comment about his views of them with the phrase 'you people', would he not be branded as a bigot? What if he did it in a group of Afro-Americans?

The fact you don't see that leads me back to my comments in the other thread about Mexican exceptionalism, this would be a prime example of how it does exist, as it does in every culture. America is not special because of it sure. You don't get a pass when using a racially charged statement against people just because they are not aware you are different from them, no matter who you are.

Then again, it could be Solumina was correct in suggesting it's a local dialect issue, but sure, your response defending your statement is the same the white bigots in America use when they get caught out, which makes me reluctant to think you used it by accident in that manner.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #34
Alan

What's racist here is that you immediately go into a bitch fit when someone from a different ethnicity than you says "you people" without making one single ethnically related comment.
You yourself fucking said it:
Quote:
if I went into a video on something involving a person of a different colour, race, nationality, or religion and started a comment berating them that started with 'you people', I'm pretty sure that would be considered very offensive..
real classy
Old 07-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #35
Grausamkeit

Are people giving out infractions over debating, now? That's a dick move.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #36
Saya

Yeah, what the hell?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #37
AshleyO

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Let's make it clear, Alan aint people...

He's a commie
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:23 PM   #38
Solumina

If someone gets an infraction it will appear on the offending post, clearly it wasn't a post in this thread.Also I fsaw the post and removed the infraction so now a bunch of people will be confused.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:31 AM   #39
CptSternn

Who got an infraction?
Old 07-31-2011, 01:42 AM   #40
Alan

I did, but I know it wasn't you, so no worries. It was just Deadman being Deadman.
real classy
Old 07-31-2011, 05:44 AM   #41
Ben Lahnger

Yeah, I got two from him a while back over the silliest of things. They were reversed shortly thereafter.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #42
CptSternn

The threads my break down into flame wars and childish name calling but sure it's still good craíc and a great outlet for releasing frustrations from the real world. No reason to give anyone an infraction at all.

I quite enjoy the posts here even when it is just a half dozen people filling half the thread lambasting me with insults and infantile name calling.

It many a day fills an otherwise boring morning.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #43
Alan

The fact that you keep whining about me calling you a dipshit as if that were more infantile than mocking me for being Mexican just shows further how empty and sad your point is.
real classy
Old 08-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #44
CptSternn

It's not whining as much as it is pointing out your limited grasp of the English vernacular and total lack of the ability to express yourself through more advanced communication techniques.

I could end my posts with personal attacks on you, but even if I were to do so I would at least try to be original and not fall into some mundane, repetitive, banal canned response.

At least be original. For example if I were going to insult you in each post I would keep it interesting, saying something like...

Tu madre chupas mis heuvos

Your responses have become passé maricón.

Happy Monday. Or should I say feliz lunes.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:48 AM   #45
JCC

How can you simultaneously be a Marxist and a racist fat fuck without being ideologically inconsistent?
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:39 AM   #46
CptSternn

Don't worry, we didn't forget about you! Thanks for chiming in sure!

What makes me a racist here? The fact I speak Spanish? I have been to Mexico, travel to Spain often, and am actually now planning a holiday in Cuba to visit friends there.

I just got back from France, and also speak French, not as well, but if Jules were to be French I would have posted the same response, just en français camarade!