Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
Cyntrox

Artificial intelligence

Computer software is becoming more and more sophisticated and at some point, one has to consider the many philosophical and ethical concerns.

What is an intelligent machine? Anything that can pass the Turing test? When is a machine considered sentient? Will it ever be possible to replicate the human mind?

Will robots ever be able to replace humans? Machines meant to replace man in wars already exist, but what about a robot police officer? Or a 100% impartial and unprejudiced judge?

Oh, I ramble. What do you think?
Old 05-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
Solumina

An unprejudiced judge would be cool and all but judges need to be able to understand the motives and emotions behind the action being judged, even when the judgment is made by a jury the judge still sets the sentence and there is quite a bit of leeway in sentencing.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
Godslayer Jillian

I can't think of how we would reach a technological singularity, but let's talk about how to know there's actual artificial intelligence. I personally have no idea. The turing test is not enough.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
tyciol

I`d see a robot as more impartial so long as people didn`t program any biases into it. They`re already replacing us in man respects, like factories too.

I also think humans are machines, albeit biological ones.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
Seth Whisper

I give you...the A.I. wiki page...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence

A.I. is a very complicated topic, while it may be fun to sit and ponder over it, the subject is infinitely complex. The hurdle of creating a self aware A.I. is a huge one as the criteria for meeting such a goal are extremely high. It isn't so much a hardware issue as it is a software issue. In theory, you could easily do it via the internet through distributed processing...the skynet theory. The problem would be in creating the software to do it...the personality...the soul. It's interesting to say the least and people dedicate their lives to A.I. research and development. Philosphical arguments withstanding, it's fascinating beyond measure once you get into the details of it all.
Seth Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
voodoowitchdr

The idea of the judge reminds me of the three magi computers form Neon Genesis Evangelion (I'm and anime whore). Did you by chance go to see the new terminator movie?
voodoowitchdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
Seth Whisper

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoowitchdr View Post
The idea of the judge reminds me of the three magi computers form Neon Genesis Evangelion (I'm and anime whore). Did you by chance go to see the new terminator movie?
No I opted for watching Drag Me to Hell instead....have you seen it?
Old 06-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
voodoowitchdr

No, until just recently my local movie theater was closed. I did get to see Land of the Lost though. That movie was awesome, I don't care what critics say. It was a perfectly rediculous movie.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I don't think humanity is ready for true artificial intelligence just yet, there are too many things that could go wrong. Frankly I don't know if we'll ever be ready, we are imperfect beings, anything we create is bound to be even more imperfect than we are.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
Seth Whisper

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoowitchdr View Post
No, until just recently my local movie theater was closed. I did get to see Land of the Lost though. That movie was awesome, I don't care what critics say. It was a perfectly rediculous movie.
I avoid all movies with will farrel
Old 06-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #11
voodoowitchdr

Makes sense, I just like a dose of rediculous humor now and then.