Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:26 PM   #476
Iriacynthe

I don't know, I've never dyed my hair in more than one color, but it looks like a good idea and I've seen them for very low prices, so you could always try it.
Iriacynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #477
Tall One In Black

It's called a highlight cap. It's good for natural-looking highlights. However, it will not work for chunks of color because the holes are very small and only allow thin locks of hair through.

If you want chunks of color, you'll need to enlarge the holes, like with a hole puncher you would normally use on paper.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:41 PM   #478
missholly

anyone ever used "fire red" permanent hair dye by jerome russel?

i ordered it online. the picture looks awesome. the photos on the side of the box showing end result color is completly different. looks way orange. im afraid to use it and was curious if anyone has tried it. in my attempt to find a cool permanent hair color, this was all i could find.
and, what would happen if i added manic panic to it? im dying for a bright crazy color, but im not willing to deal with redying all the time.

missholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:41 PM   #479
peeves

Does the picture on the side corispond with your hair color? Usually dyes only work the way they're suposed to if the hair they're put on is blonde. So maybe if you bleach your hair first it will show up how you want.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:34 PM   #480
grimreaper993

I kinda just use Manic Panic colored gel. I don't have to bleach my hair to use it but its not permanent.
grimreaper993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:40 PM   #481
grimreaper993

I thought I met your ignore button....
grimreaper993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:22 AM   #482
spookypurple

Off the topic, I know, but this just came in with my Cyberdog newsletter. Thought it might be of some use to someone...

"* If it's the first time you're dying your hair make sure you do a strand test. *

1) Begin with washing your hair with a PH balanced shampoo.

2) Do not condition as this will coat the hair and prevent the dye from fully penetrating the hair shaft.

3) Towel dry so that the hair is still damp.

4) Rub Vaseline along the hair line and ears to avoid staining the skin.

5) When bleaching it is best to wash hair 24 hours prior to colouring rather than directly before as this will irritate the scalp.
It is also better to leave 24 hours between lightening and colouring, this way the hair will take the colour fully and not fade as quickly.
Always totally saturate the hair with dye.

6) If you're dying your hair more than one colour, ideally you should do each colour separately Apply-develop-rinse next colour apply- develop- rinse and so on. Be sure to section off the desired hair carefully and when dyed wrap in tin foil to avoid colours bleeding in to each other. If you don't have time for this you can do it all at the same time but you must remember to keep all colours wrapped separately. It is very important to wash out each section one at a time when using this method so keep each section wrapped until it gets washed.

There are loads of different ways to get your hair colour to last longer, so here are just a few;

* After you have applied the colour, wrap some cling film around the hair and, using a hair dryer, apply moderate heat for about five minutes.

* You could also try washing the colour off with cool water which closes the hair follicles, locking the colour in."

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:15 AM   #483
Tall One In Black

That all seems like valid, helpful advice.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:24 AM   #484
missholly

now that i look at it, the pic on the front of the box looks photoshopped. that kind of pisses me off. i feel like ive been lied to.
with all the modern miracles, they cant make a decent permanent hair dye? geesh...
missholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #485
Tall One In Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by missholly
now that i look at it, the pic on the front of the box looks photoshopped. that kind of pisses me off. i feel like ive been lied to.
with all the modern miracles, they cant make a decent permanent hair dye? geesh...
The pic is definitely PhotoShopped. It even looks fake, especially with the lip color being identical to the hair color.

I've seen dye that came in three different colors, and the photo on the front of each box was exactly the same except for the hair color. It's very common to manipulate the images on wacky hair dye boxes.

I don't trust advertising of any sort, including the "results" photos on hair products. Cynical, I am.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:46 AM   #486
spookypurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall One In Black
That all seems like valid, helpful advice.

Thanks, Tall One.

On the colour front - I've come across a brand called (ironically) Tints of Nature which I believe do a range of bright shades, red, green, orange etc. I've heard (and seen) some really good results with it. I'll try and see if I can track down some web info and post it.

Hamlet
Old 03-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #487
Persephone Hazard

I've been dying my (naturally blonde) hair black for ages now but I think it's time for a change-maybe dark red, you know, all kind of pre-raphelite? The only problem is, what will take on four year's worth of jet black permanent dye?

Last edited by Persephone Hazard; 03-08-2006 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Gah! Spelling!
Persephone Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #488
spookypurple

Or how about lovely henna - that'd be so Waterhouse...

Hamlet
Old 03-08-2006, 02:09 PM   #489
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypurple
Thanks, Tall One.

On the colour front - I've come across a brand called (ironically) Tints of Nature which I believe do a range of bright shades, red, green, orange etc. I've heard (and seen) some really good results with it. I'll try and see if I can track down some web info and post it.

Here's their Home Page

http://www.herbuk.com/ton.htm
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:07 PM   #490
Tall One In Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone Hazard
I've been dying my (naturally blonde) hair black for ages now but I think it's time for a change-maybe dark red, you know, all kind of pre-raphelite? The only problem is, what will take on four year's worth of jet black permanent dye?
In my experience, nothing but serious bleaching. Since you're planning on another dark color, you might be successful in lightening your hair enough to cover nicely with a dark red. I would strongly recommend going to a professional for a task as momentous as four years of permanent black dye.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:41 AM   #491
Draculette

So I Desperatley want to change my hairstyle, But everytime i got to the hairdressers i have no idea what i want,he suggested showing a picture, but i dont know where to find any pictures of hairstyles that i'd like, I definately want Dark purple and black sortof streaked together, but im more concerned abotu the cut, cuz i have naturally culy hair and its hard to have curly hair and short cut, does any1 have any tips? or know where i can find pics of gothic/punk like hairstyles? Please help
Draculette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:30 AM   #492
Tall One In Black

Google "photos hairstyles" and you'll get a zillion links. Some of them have pop-ups, though.

www.lip-service.com and www.hottopic.com sell clothes, but their models often have unusual hairstyles. It's worth a look.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:14 AM   #493
Draculette

I google'd manic panic, Couldnt find anything i liked, all the pics there seem rather outdated, I want something more modern, Ill carry on searchin for hairstyle pics though.

Xnguela -Yes its me, Thankyou so black is too dark huh? I do straighten it, but only with a hairdryer because i find hairstraightners cause me lots of split ends! But i'll try again with some ceramic ones. I have already had it cut, Before this pic it was Very Long! Maby a trim will do? And im glad you're blunt Im not sure why i wear my makeup light...I'll take you're tip and try some darker makeup, No harm in that :P Thanks alot btw
Old 03-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #494
Draculette

Hey thanks for getting my pics to show up!!
I do intend to keep straightning it, But I want to be able to wear it curly because its so hard to always straighten.
It looks messy curly, sometimes in a good way, Also it looks alot shorter and the streaks are less visible, I have curly hair now, Ill take some pics later and post them up. You've kinda changed my mind about black now, Im having major second thoughts..The thing is i have so much trouble with my roots, and my natural colour is a dark dark brown almost black, so i thought if i dyed it black id have less trouble ive always dyed it red but red fades soo much...So how about all of it purple?
Old 03-10-2006, 09:23 AM   #495
Draculette

"a lighter color framing your face" That sounds like a good idea!
Old 03-11-2006, 01:15 PM   #496
Deviant Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draculette
Hey thanks for getting my pics to show up!!
I do intend to keep straightning it, But I want to be able to wear it curly because its so hard to always straighten.
It looks messy curly, sometimes in a good way, Also it looks alot shorter and the streaks are less visible, I have curly hair now, Ill take some pics later and post them up. You've kinda changed my mind about black now, Im having major second thoughts..The thing is i have so much trouble with my roots, and my natural colour is a dark dark brown almost black, so i thought if i dyed it black id have less trouble ive always dyed it red but red fades soo much...So how about all of it purple?
Hi Draculette!
I have the same problem as you - my natural colour is a very dark brown too, but if I go black it looks a bit harsh on me. I might try Xng's idea and frame my face with a lighter colour. I love red hair too, but you're right that it fades fast. It's a bitch to keep up with the re-dying! Purple's good, but you'd definitely have to bleach it first. I'd love to have purple hair, but my hair can't take the bleach. It just turns to straw!

~ Wei Hui
Deviant Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #497
Kirsti

hey, I was wondering if I could borrow your guys opinion?
my hair is currently brown with thin maroon and blonde streaks. I hate it. And I want to dye it black with, red, purple or blue streaks. do you think the black would be to much against my pale skin, and if not, which of the three colours above should I use? I'd love blood red, but its the most commonly used. I was thinking of lilac, but apart from the two, 1cm wide streaks of blonde in my hair, ive never bleached it before, and i'm not to sure how well it will take it.
what can go wrong when bleaching hair?
huge thanks
- Kirsti
Kirsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:49 AM   #498
Deviant Kitten

Could you post a colour pic, Kirsti? It'd make it easier for us to give you advice on what might suit you!

~ Wei Hui
Deviant Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:07 AM   #499
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela

There, now your pictures are showing up.
No disrespect to Xng, but your base makeup is perfectly matched to your skin tone in that picture.

Unless there is another photo I'm not seeing. I don't see any shade difference between your jawline and your neck, which is usually a tell tale sign of improperly matched foundation. Your application is excellent, and so is your eye makeup.

I can say this with experience, since I was a Make-Up Artist for many years..

I wouldn't change a thing personally.

You're beautiful and so is your make-up. : )
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:34 AM   #500
WolfMoon

Draculette, If you want to go black I say "Go for it!"

You'd look a lot like the original Morticia Addams. And because you already have darker hair, I don't see it as being that harsh. I think it would fit you.

WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote