Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:43 AM   #51
coffeeblack

I am an admirer only of a select few of Burton's movies. However I am definately looking forward to seeing this one.
coffeeblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #52
gothicfairywarroir

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavelockV View Post
I am a tad tired of seeing Mr. Depp and Ms. Bonham Carter in all of Tim Burton's films. However, there are many fine names in that cast list. Most interesting. Perhaps it shall merit a look.
ok so first of all Mrs. Carter is in all of Tim Burtons movies because she is married to the guy and second of all both Bonham Carter and Depp play awesome fucked up characters that is why they are always in Tim Burtons movies... if you have a problem with them being in his movies then stop watching Tim Burtons movies... problem solved
gothicfairywarroir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #53
CountVonCount

You are all so simple. This movie is an outrage.
CountVonCount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:02 AM   #54
The Divine Ms. M

Well, the big day's next week already & I'll be seeing it w/a friend @ the El Capitan. In the meantime, I'm reading the Alice books, & this... http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Ali...5344135/?itm=1

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh you ca'n't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here."-from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

"A real friend will stab you in the front."-licence plate frame a friend & I saw
Please read My Blog!
The Divine Ms. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:51 AM   #55
tesks60

Post 36_48

omg! there's an auction thats ending soon with the WEEDS cast!
Walk-on Role on Showtime's Weeds, Lunch with the Director and Meet theCast! auction is ongoing and ENDS TOMORROW! check it out! You can bidto actually meet the cast and director! Filming ends on July 18.Experience must be scheduled by that time at a mutually agreeable time.Background check required. There's totally a reason why Weeds was thehighest rated series for Showtime in 2005 - so check it out! Go tocharityfolks.com, then to the Artists for a New South Africa charityauction, then right to the WEEDS auction item! Good luck everyone!Weeds is the hit Showtime dark comedy television series about afictional California suburb and its residents, a handful of whom areinvolved in the distribution and consumption of cannabis (hence thetitle). The first successful season has finished its run with tenepisodes.
weeds dvdAbsolutely lovely!!!
"Weeds" is absolutely lovely. I just finished the third episode, and sofar it is one of the best shows I've seen.

It really has it all. The acting is superb! Mary-Louise Parker playsNancy Botwin, a woman with two sons who suddenly becomes a widow andhas to struggle to raise and support two sons and the family's highliving standard. She becomes the rich LA neighborhood's pot dealer. Thecharacters are interesting, the dialog feels natural and it's just socharming. I love all the little secrets these strange, rich peoplehave! But I do hate the song in the beginning =) I guess it has somekind of function based on the lyrics, but it's truly awful.

I really hope this comes to Sweden some day, for the rest of thecountry to enjoy!!
weeds dvd
tesks60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #56
Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
He wants to make a movie of 1984.
I like Burton overall, but how the fuck is he going to make 1984?!
Will Big Brother have a skinny tuxedo?
Will Winston break into song about destroying the system?
Will the totalitarian architecture have fancy spirals everywhere?
Will the proles be proficient in swing?
I like Tim Burton films...but if he really does try to make a movie of 1984 (a book I absolutely love) I think I will come to hate Tim Burton. He will fail miserably at making such a movie.
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #57
Underwater Ophelia

This movie was an abortion. Everything about it was terrible.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #58
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
This movie was an abortion. Everything about it was terrible.
Like worthy of cult classic/laughably terrible or something out of Mr. Cranky's worst nightmares terrible?

I'll probably still see it either way and even might give a write up on it.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #59
Saya

I personally hated the Disney cartoon version with a passion, so I'm not going in with high expectations. Just amuse me, Disney, and I'll turn my brain off as Depp dances.

Actually plotwise it seems very similar to a mini series (tv movie?) called Alice, it had Tim Curry and Kathy Bates in it. But I think that was fairly recent too so it could just be coincidence.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #60
Alan

The Disney movie was a combination of Wonderland and Looking Glass. It was a pretty dark movie for children but a children's movie all the same. You got the mad hatter and the hare, you got the dodo and his wacky ideas. You got the chill caterpillar. And you got Alice's cute kitten.
This one is a movie about a nineteen year old who has to kill the Jabberwocky to save Wonderland.
You really think it won't disappoint you?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #61
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
The Disney movie was a combination of Wonderland and Looking Glass. It was a pretty dark movie for children but a children's movie all the same. You got the mad hatter and the hare, you got the dodo and his wacky ideas. You got the chill caterpillar. And you got Alice's cute kitten.
This one is a movie about a nineteen year old who has to kill the Jabberwocky to save Wonderland.
You really think it won't disappoint you?
I did have an underlying inkling that with this much hype (even with the sweet Disney Couture jewelry), this movie would do quite a bit of wrong. But even if my suspicions are proven correct, I might as well wring some humor out of it.

And you forgot the 3D AND IMAX factors.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #62
Saya

The combination of the two books was one of the reasons I didn't like it, it was like the books were butchered and put back together all wrong, and it was a psychedelic mess (curious enough, according to Wikipedia it was a disappointment and only did so so at the box office, only enjoying popularity years later as a trip movie). I remember as a kid just being absolutely annoyed, and I can't finish the movie when I try to watch it now.

I did however like American McGee's Alice and the very similar Alice tv movie wasn't horrible for a tv movie, so no I'm really not opposed to the idea of grown up Alice returning to Wonderland out for blood. Its unoriginal, and I'm told the plot is pretty vapid, but I don't see how it can possibly be worse than the cartoon.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:44 AM   #63
Underwater Ophelia

Besides the premise of the plot being dumb, the acting is just bad. Even Johnny Depp sucked. The script was stupid, and through the whole thing I wondered why things were even happening.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:00 PM   #64
JethroAranas

I only like the dark and weird theme.

I still find Malice in Wonderland more interesting.
JethroAranas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:30 PM   #65
the-nihilist

Ah, yet another "remake."
Old 03-12-2010, 11:36 PM   #66
Entropic

I really want to hate this movie, but Stephen Fry and Alan Rickman made the entire movie for me. Their few scenes were gold.

Christopher Lee should have had way more screen time too.
Entropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:19 AM   #67
The Divine Ms. M

Now that I was able to see the whole thing from beginning to end (missed an hr. @ the El Cap) I can say it wasn't the greatest film ever, but it could've been worse. I loved the Cheshire Cat as usual & Absolem was as cool as I originally thought. Danny Elfman's score is the thing I find I like best...plus I loved the Red Queen's courtiers' outfits & the Hatter's hat. I give it 6 & a half outta 10.

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh you ca'n't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here."-from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

"A real friend will stab you in the front."-licence plate frame a friend & I saw
Please read My Blog!
The Divine Ms. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:17 AM   #68
Alan

Disney made the Cheshire Cat. He's not that big of a deal in the original book and you guys know it. That's the biggest reason I love the Disney version.
real classy
Old 03-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #69
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Disney made the Cheshire Cat. He's not that big of a deal in the original book and you guys know it. That's the biggest reason I love the Disney version.
Ditto. The Disney Cheshire Cat was special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
Bonham Carter is my secret lover. I'd seriously grow a dick if I was guaranteed a shag with that woman.
I'd pay money to see that!

========================

Okay, I'm probably going to see this thing in 3D sometime this week, but I'm prepared to be disappointed for a number of reasons:

1) I liked Tim Burton a lot when he started out. Edward Scissorhands and Batman Returns were revelations. But I liked George Lucas when he started out too. There's something that happens to these directors when they get too big, too successful, start believing they are as great as everyone says they are and don't have to listen to critics or objective voices any more. They don't sweat over a script the way they used to (and it all comes down to the script, doesn't it?) The movie studios just say, "Yes, please, whatever you want to make for us!" because all they can see is the first weekend's box office. (Trey Parker and Matt Stone discuss this phenomenon with Lucas' career) So, yeah, I'm over Tim Burton.

2) Nobody takes the time to develop characters anymore. On an action flick like Predators or Avatar that doesn't matter as much, but in Alice the characters ARE the story. I'm afraid that in this jump-cut, CGI-spectacular, 3D-hungry market, the style will obscure the substance of the story. Plus, I like the observation of this writer (Memo to Spielberg: Hands off "Jaws!") who describes very effectively when CGI works and when it doesn't. So yeah, I'm over CGI.

3) I used to like Johnny Depp. He seemed like a very versatile lead; an actor's actor. Now after playing a wacky pirate, a wacky candy factory owner and a wacky hatter, he's devolved into a comical character actor. If he chose engaging dramatic roles between his turns of wackiness, I might take him more seriously, but "Public Enemies" isn't gonna get it. So yeah, I'm over Johnny Depp.

4) And finally, I really did like the immersion the 3D of Avatar created, but that doesn't mean every movie has to be made in 3D ... or even should. Because everyone is desperate to boost that box office revenue in these trying times, Avatar and Alice are going to convince theater owners everywhere that 3D is the ticket to riches. I'm not over 3D yet, but I am worried about it's affect on quiet little character studies and dramas or even simple romantic comedies that should be driven by dialog and insight into the human condition but will be changed so we can have 3D sight gags. *sigh*

Sorry for the rant. I'll let you know what I thought of it.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #70
Cassandra13

I've seen the movie. It is a wonderful adaptation of the story.
Cassandra13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #71
Alan

I saw it now. Saya, you we're right.
After I got all my hopes down, knowing it has nothing to do with the books, I appreciated it for its own merits.
It's nothing special. It kind of reminded me of Pirates of the Caribbean, but it was better.
That is it. It's amusing. No masterpiece, but what current movie is?
real classy
Old 03-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #72
honeythorn

Partly what kind of ruined it a little for me was the effects. I ddn't go in expecting it to be anything like the book ( few film adaptaions ever are )

I think some of the CGI was pretty poor , come on CG horses? What? . Real live horses trained in film work are easy enough to find, espescially for a director with a fairly large budget.

I have to agree with BtS about some of the CGI looking rather Shrek-like. It's quality seems behind the times when compared with other films doing 3D and CGI now.

I did love the Cheshire cat, he was spot on and Stephen Fry's voice is perfect for the character. I would have liked to have seen more of Alan Rickman's Caterpiller too.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #73
Sinjob

The film was terrible and...kinda weird. Not the tasteful Burton weird, but the "thats just creepy" weird. Helena's bobbing head every two seconds made me feel like I was going to have a seizure.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #74
DRM

I enjoyed it....
Old 03-18-2010, 03:08 AM   #75
Lila

I can't wait to watch this one
Lila is offline   Reply With Quote