Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:43 AM   #26
Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
While walking to places is pretty nifty, I feel that it's important to point out that this article is about THE BRONX, and also mentions HARLEM. (my neighborhood). This lower-income obesety is occuring in what is arguably the most walkable city in the country (if not the world).

All the people CAN and DO "Just walk to the Market". There are a total of three markets, and at least ten bodegas within a five-block radius of my apartment.

Yet here, where no one needs a car, we have an obesity problem.

The problem is the high cost of living, coupled with the relatively low wages that these people make. This forces them to work long hours just to be able to pay rent. The cost of property raises the cost of food because the local markets need to turn a higher profit just to offset the cost of their space.

People buy cheaper, easier foods, and drink more alcohol to deal with the stress of the bills, and have less time to excercise, and don't when they do have time because they're tired from working.

Shit, I've gained nearly 15 pounds since moving to NYC.
A very important point Despanan, I live in the suburbs of Pennsylvania and things are very spaced out here, driving is needed to get everywhere but obesity is not as bad here as it is in the the Bronx.
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #27
Despanan

Pretty much the only affordable lunchish food I can get (If I don't pack my own lunch) is fast-food. If I go to a "Wholesome foods" (kinda the NYC Panera) for lunch, and get a salad and an apple, I'm out 7-9 bucks (nearly an hours wage). If I go to the grocery store and get hot food, or the salad bar I'm out seven (soup is $4 luckily).

If I didn't work right across the street for a Morton Williams, I'd have to depend on Dunkin Dougnuts or McD's for cheap food that O have time to buy and eat on my break.

Hell, even dollar-Menu items cost at least $1.30 in NYC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #28
Lethe

I feel really hungry now, thinking about all of these wholesome foods which are unavailable to me. My walkable score is zero out of a hundred. Woopee for car dependency?
Lethe is offline   Reply With Quote