Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
Anarasha

The Goth genre

Hello.
As you may or may not know, I am going through a period of research and learning about different music genres that I claim to know something about, but lately turned out may be failed information.
Therefore, I am probably gonna be making a few threads in here with some sincere questions that may seem dumb, but all I am doing is trying to understand.
As the title hints, this is about the Goth and Gothic Rock genres.
If at all possible, I would like an authentic source for some of your info, but I will take anything.

I read somewhere that Goth and Gothic Rock are two different genres with Goth as a very "Doom and Gloom depressing" sound and lyric quality offspring of Punk and post-punk while Gothic Rock is a more rocking and energetic. Does this hold truth?

Also, I have heard a lot of you in here and other places who seem to know a lot about the gothic genres and scenes say that it has nothing at all to do with the dressing or looks at all. But how can that be true when the old goth and gothic rock bands did tend to dress up for the effect? Is it not partly true that the looks played a big role in the original gothic scene?

Yet another question would be, are all Goth and Goth Rock bands from the 70's and that era, or are there actually any real Goth or Goth Rock bands today?(not counting the still active bands from back then)

Also, are there any Goth or Gothic Rock bands through the misunderstood history of said genres that used growling vocals?

This is all I have for now. I thank you for eventual answers and help.
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
Still Jack

Man, we're not google, and I doubt anyone really cares about this sort of thing anyway. I listen to music I like, full bloody stop. I suggest you do the same...
Old 11-16-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
Anarasha

I did actually get this info from Google, I just wanted to run it past the pros on here.
I too listen to music I like and leave music I do not like alone, but the history of music genres interrest me.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
JCC

The specifics of the goth genre aren't exactly a secret, you'll learn as much anywhere else as you will here.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
Anarasha

I suppose that's right.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
Malice In Wonderland

Stop making these fucking threads.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
csuewas

Good work !
Very cool, looking great so far. Keep going, I wanna see it finished!
Old 11-17-2009, 09:11 PM   #8
gothicusmaximus

Go to a fucking bookstore, buy a copy of Moby-Dick, and read it. Don't even think for a second about 'researching the goth genre' until you're finished. In fact, don't eat anything or get off the exercise bike until you're finished, you fat piece of shit.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
Not Tha Duckman

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland View Post
Stop making these fucking threads.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
Krick Wurkheiser

Ok, I can't answer the last two, but I might as well give the first two a shot. It would be better for people to stay out of threads they don't like, instead of going in with nothing useful to add. If a thread is stupid/'stupid', leave it alone.

Alright. As far as I'm aware, "Goth" is an abbreviation of the term "Gothic rock". This covers quite a lot, from the classic 'doom and gloom' post-punk, known at the time as "positive punk" due to its relative lack of aggression, through styles such as deathrock (classic gothic rock/punk) and gothabilly (rockabilly music with a dark sound and lyrics with morbid themes). I've not been aware of a difference between those terms, Goth and Gothic rock.

As to the fashion, as with punk the music (and often the ideals) are the heart of the culture, for instance advocating freedom of expression and so forth. However, anybody who claims there is no fashion involved is very wrong. The fashion is important as artistic expression, and expression of tastes and beliefs and a way to show others who you are. It shouldn't be used to try to be cool/popular and it definitely shouldn't just be copied.. make it your own. Wear whatever you like, but Gothic clothes tend to be black and such. For some reason. It fits, I suppose.
Krick Wurkheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #11
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krick Wurkheiser View Post
Ok, I can't answer the last two, but I might as well give the first two a shot. It would be better for people to stay out of threads they don't like, instead of going in with nothing useful to add.
You think your deft paraphrase of Goth Subculture's wikipedia article is more useful to Anarasha than the suggestion that he stop making these fucking threads? You're the one indulging his piteous display of excessive enthusiasm for 'researching' musical genres, which he only puts forth because he believes it will secure him the social validation he desperately craves from gothic fucking dot net. We're encouraging him to stop being a sniveling imbecile and do something worthwhile with his time.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #12
Not Tha Duckman

Lightbulb

He's a good guy, just misplacing all of his priorities.

Anarasha, IF THAT IS YOUR REAL NAME, genres are for people that run HMV.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #13
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarasha View Post
If I type more tired goffity goff shit, maybe I'll finally be thinner, taller, go clubbing in my collar!
The fact that I actually had to type ThouShaltNot lyrics in response to this means you should to give up the ghost with the quickness.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:19 AM   #14
Anarasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
You think your deft paraphrase of Goth Subculture's wikipedia article is more useful to Anarasha than the suggestion that he stop making these fucking threads? You're the one indulging his piteous display of excessive enthusiasm for 'researching' musical genres, which he only puts forth because he believes it will secure him the social validation he desperately craves from gothic fucking dot net. We're encouraging him to stop being a sniveling imbecile and do something worthwhile with his time.
You have misunderstood my desire to learn about music genres. I don't fucking care whether or not people in here like me or not, if I did, I would have left a long time ago. I am well aware that a lot of people in here including you hate me.
But did you ever stop to think that maybe I am researching music genres for me, not for you? I value information and I am interrested in music genres, and I had the failed impression that people in here knew something about these different genres through a longer time as a music fan than I do, and therefore I believed that these people could help me in my studies, but I see that this is in fact not the case.
You are no more informed than I can be by reading the sources by typing in Google.

Edited in: But yes, all of you, I will be the first to admit, I am not tall or thin, neither am I really popular. Yes, I am lonely and therefore spend my time researching useless information to keep myself busy. But I am clear about it, and I can live with it. YOU are the ones with the need to point it out, therefore saying more about yourselves and your appearent need to make assumptions about my motives.
I may be a loser with my priorities on useless and non-constructive things, but how about you?
Think on that.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:32 AM   #15
Not Tha Duckman

Unhappy

If you were more belligerent, you'd remind me of me when I was younger.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:38 AM   #16
Anarasha

I will take that as a good thing Duckie.

It never ceases to amuse me how people in here believe that the world centers around them and this board at all times, yet they accuse me of being the only one in here who has that view when in truth that is not so.
Appearently, both gothicus and Malice In Wonderland believes that I will in fact crawl into a dark corner and cry at their oh so horrible burns based on a misunderstanding of my interrests. They need to learn that the world does not in fact revolve around them, nor does it revolve around this board.
Let me inform you here:
The world's course is around the sun. This board is not the sun. Deal with it.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:43 AM   #17
Not Tha Duckman

Exclamation

I doubt they want or expect you to go cry under the stairs. I see it as more an attempt at getting you to go out and make something of yrself, rather than trying to understand something as pointless as musical genres or whatever. Go read a book, make a movie, become snot flicking champ of Denmark or something.

Just please, for the love of God, stop making threads like this.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:44 AM   #18
Not Tha Duckman

Exclamation

Also, GM is cranky.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:45 AM   #19
Anarasha

I suppose that holds some truth.
As stated earlier though, music genres interrest me, and I really do have nothing better to do.
Aye, agreed. I have never seen GM post anything OTHER than flames. Nor have I ever seen him make a thread of his own.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:49 AM   #20
Not Tha Duckman

Thumbs up

He posts some funny shit. I have to give him that.

Dude, there's ALWAYS something to do. You just gotta DO IT.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:49 AM   #21
Anarasha

Aye, he does. I enjoy his long wordy rants.
And yes, I suppose so.. I am playing the guitar actually.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:46 AM   #22
Krick Wurkheiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
I haven't been to Goth's wikipedia article... I don't know where you've dragged that one from. I wrote from accumulated general knowledge.

I've only seen two threads by Anarasha, myself. I don't think he thinks it will give him social validation - it'd be (more than) incredibly naïve to think that. For that, I see no reason why i shouldn't tell what I know - perhaps if I tell him, he won't ask again.

Last edited by Krick Wurkheiser; 11-18-2009 at 02:47 AM. Reason: fix
Old 11-18-2009, 02:49 AM   #23
Krick Wurkheiser

Also, if nobody ever replies to these threads then that should be more of a discouragement than flaming them.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:59 AM   #24
SiouxsiePernova

Quote:
If I type more tired goffity goff shit, maybe I'll finally be thinner, taller, go clubbing in my collar!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik View Post
The fact that I actually had to type ThouShaltNot lyrics in response to this means you should to give up the ghost with the quickness.
I always find your responses to threads like these highly amusing.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:24 AM   #25
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krick Wurkheiser View Post
Also, if nobody ever replies to these threads then that should be more of a discouragement than flaming them.
You're wrong.
So wrong.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote