Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

View Poll Results: Goths wear black because:
They feel no need to express emotion through fashion 70 12.94%
Black is how they feel inside 114 21.07%
It looks smart, and suits the night time. 113 20.89%
Black being dominant, Goths are trying to dominate! 31 5.73%
other (please state) 213 39.37%
Voters: 541. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2004, 09:29 PM   #101
HxC-Ron

Goths wear black because......black ink stains don't show up
....................so they can avoid shopping at Old Navy
.....................it gives them an excuse to lamet
......................they wont have to worry about wearing white after labor day
.......................they're Oakland Raiders fans
HxC-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 05:56 AM   #102
centurion

It`s the natural color of His Infernal Majesty`s realm.... the perfection of the void of darkness.
Seriously, I take goth seriously as the way of total darkness.... I don`t think there should be any other explanation than that.

Society and fashion be damned, I dress according to my religion and belief. I`m not trying to make some juvenile "rebel statement" with the clothes I wear, I`m not some teenager trying to find his social niche.... For me, goth is a way of life!
I find it offensive so many would abuse it`s name for the sake of fashion or image.... if it`s just for show, don`t call yourself a goth.

Rant over
centurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 09:48 AM   #103
OnixxFilth

Oh yes, there are way too many skin goths running around. I personally feel that goths needn't always wear all black, but it is a mainstay. What people (in general) don't seem to understand is that goth isn't all about the clothing (though it is fun!), it's a life philosophy.
OnixxFilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 09:50 AM   #104
OnixxFilth

Oh yes, there are way too many skin goths running around. I personally feel that goths needn't always wear all black, but it is a mainstay. What people (in general) don't seem to understand is that goth isn't all about the clothing (though it is fun!), it's a life philosophy.
OnixxFilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:09 PM   #105
WitchBlood

Location: somewhere among the purple flowers and candy clouds
Goths wear black because they havent invented anything darker! :lol:
WitchBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:10 PM   #106
Green

So many reasons...

I have many reasons that I personally wear black.
-Slimming
-With the right shoes...it makes you look taller *wink, wink*
-No....'stains' show up, unless they are bleach
-why not?
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:27 PM   #107
ThwanCondu

It just makes me feel more comfortable. I'm sure there's some great psychological reasoning behind it, but I try to wear colour, I really do. I just get extremely uncomfortable after a while. Why the fuck?

I don't think 'goth' is quite being a life philosophy. I got the impression it was more simply an appreciation of gothic literature, art work, music, etc. If not, then I'm screwed, I aint a goth, and I don't know what I'm doing here.
ThwanCondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 05:32 PM   #108
Jane13

I've never really seen it as a philosophy... or really even a mind-set... I think there's just something about us that makes the world different for us, like we live in a whole other world than normal people. I guess "living" there is what makes us appreciate these things. Or I cold be rambling and sound like a moron...
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 07:16 PM   #109
winged_dreams

Some people are different from others and it's nice to be with others who are different. I get along with most people but it's nice to have intelligent conversations with people, like I have with all the people here. I do like the supposed 'goth' style of clothing but the words goth don't even come to mind when I'm talking with people who are gothic or not. I don't even bother to try defining it (except that it's just not slapping on some black makeup and black clothes to scare your parents).

In short, I love you guys! Hehe. Actually my point is who cares why people wear black? People will do what they want to do and you can't stop them unless your Micheal Jackson because you might be sent to jail!

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 01:51 PM   #110
ThwanCondu

hehe, actually i did once do dress up with the fishnets and the black make up to freak out my dad... But that was the only time I've actually done it for the sake of freaking someone out. I wish I'd had some fake blood on me that day...
ThwanCondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:08 AM   #111
Krayher

To tell the truth, I always feel taller and 'superior' when wearing black. on none-uniform day, I heard some girl say "oh my god! look at the state of THAT" Because I was wearing black. I turned to look at her, gave her a really icy stare, and said "THAT? I have a name" then walked off. Hopefully it worked. I felt that the way I was dressed made me look more dramatic
Krayher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:24 AM   #112
TeapotScar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayher
To tell the truth, I always feel taller and 'superior' when wearing black. on none-uniform day, I heard some girl say "oh my god! look at the state of THAT" Because I was wearing black. I turned to look at her, gave her a really icy stare, and said "THAT? I have a name" then walked off. Hopefully it worked. I felt that the way I was dressed made me look more dramatic
And that, boys and girls, is the definition of "poseur".

:roll:

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:44 AM   #113
edible_eye

HA!

Old 01-27-2005, 08:55 AM   #114
darkangel81

I like wearing dark colours, (not necessary black) because it has this "mysterious" look. I tend to wear a lot of Victorian style clothes, because i like these a lot.

My new shirt. I ordered the red one.
darkangel81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:34 PM   #115
Jane13

X, you're barbie is WAY cooler than the other goth barbie ^.^ uh.. I think I look more like the "build your own southpark character".
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 01-27-2005, 02:46 PM   #116
Disfunction

i ware black bcuz it iz the goffix thing to ware!

I don't always wear black, especially since I go to a catholic school (complete with uniforms) but the reason why I wear it so often is that it is simply the colour which holds greatest appeal to me. Simply put.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:57 PM   #117
Solumina

I generally wear black because light colors make me look anemic and bright colors make me feel like a highlighter, though I do often layer the black with another color like red, blue, and occasionally neon pink.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:15 PM   #118
Electrocutioner

...'tis not normal...

I wear black because ... i want to.

After reading through this (entire) thread, (which took about half an hour (*sigh*)) my previous feelings on the subject have only been enforced.. That is to say, there is no fixed definition for a Goth, whether you consider yourself to be a 'True Goth', a 'Pure Goth', or even a 'Worshiper of Satan', you are still only the person that you are trying to be.
Goth CAN be a religion or a culture, or to others, it can be a fashion statement, and to a number of people I know personally, it is a way of meeting people, scaring preps, and enjoying life how they want to enjoy it.

Personally, i'm in it as a personal statement. To me, wearing black means that I am fed up with the world, look at me if you want, i don't care, take a picture because it lasts longer... I want to wear shiny metal things on my fingers, wrists, neck, feet and other places, because i think they look purdy...
I want to wear black as opposed to other colours (and I know black isn't a colour...) because to me it represents something different from normal, something mysterious and unusual.

Regardless of what you consider yourself or others to be, there will always be arrogant, ignorant, stupid, shallow, etc... people within the same community regardless of how big it is.. even you consider yourself to be the only person within your community, you can guarantee that someone somewhere will dislike you for some reason.

Although I feel I am making a valid point here, I also feel that it has veered from the question, so I shall now desist...
Electrocutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:35 PM   #119
Jane13

Yay! A good n00b! And a pretty new font color ^.^
-Cinema Strange
Old 02-20-2005, 05:43 PM   #120
Solumina

No No No!!! A noob can never be good, a newb can. Trust me I’m the one that invented the word noob…I think it was a typo too…Anyways I just wanted to enlighten you all :wink:
-Carbon Leaf
Old 03-01-2005, 04:01 PM   #121
Solumina

Of course we love you. How could we not?

Oh and don’t worry most people do use them interchangeably so you're not alone
-Carbon Leaf
Old 03-02-2005, 03:27 PM   #122
no_transitory

i wear black because i feel that my colourful personality will be better recognized without being liek everyone else. not alot of poeple at my school are any type of *goth* and so, it stands out to be all black or mostly blackl adn neon colours. people get to know me not by brand names but by, who i am inside i think.
no_transitory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:37 PM   #123
winged_dreams

Maybe some people wear black because it matches oh so well. Besides that I don't know. People wear what they want to.

Oh!! I have a very colorful personality!

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:49 AM   #124
drgnlvr

I wear black because I'm CHEAP! I do the "mix'n'match" thing with my clothes, and black seems to go with just about everything. :P
drgnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:40 PM   #125
Solumina

Good, with your personality I would have been scared if you didn’t
-Carbon Leaf