Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:27 AM   #2926
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Twitch View Post
I'd been thinking about going to university for the last few days, but I accidentally listened to too much music. Now I'm too angry, and I believe I killed my desire to go back to school.

God damn it punk rock, why do you kick so much ass, yet get me so fucking angry!
You can go to school AND be angry!

Go to MUN so we can be school buddies ^_^
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #2927
vindicatedxjin

Saya, whatcha majoring in?
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #2928
Saya

Religious Studies, I'm debating about what I'm going to double major/minor with though, either Sociology or Women's Studies.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #2929
vindicatedxjin

I took one sociology class just for the credit. The teacher was a conservative republican. I wanted to die.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #2930
Saya

Oh, that sucks, I know we can't always remove bias but I hate it when a course is the prof's soap box. Our sociology department seems to really try hard to be objective, though, which is why I'm debating between that and WS, I heard when you have a degree in WS people don't view you as, erm, objective. I'm going to have a hard enough time with RS, everyone assumes you're religious and Christian. I usually have to say "I'm doing religious studies BUT FOCUSING ON EASTERN RELIGIONS. I'M NOT STUDYING TO BE A PASTOR."

Even the Christanity courses are objective, my Religion In The Modern World prof scared some students away with his heretical views, I think XD there's one guy I haven't seen in class since we talked about homosexuality and how its fine and its silly of the church to be against it.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #2931
vindicatedxjin

Come to think of it, my religion teacher was a baptist preacher. I guess that's what I get for going to a community college in Texas. It's so ridiculous here.
I always though it would be interesting to get into sociology or psychiatry. I just never pursued it, because I knew it would involve me having to interact with people eventually. Which I'm not good at.

What is your goal job?
Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #2932
Saya

Hahaha, tell me about it.

It depends on how well I do, if I get an honors degree I'd like to go on to get my masters, and go into research and teach. I'm going to be learning Chinese so if I don't go get my Masters but I did well with Chinese, I wouldn't mind going on and getting a second degree (I can't double major with it as its within the RS program here, I'd have to go to another university), or I'd like to go into social work and work with women, either in women's shelters or **** crisis centers, or general violence prevention work. And if none of those things work out I can get an Education degree in two years, so I could go on and become a high school teacher. There's lots of things I'd like to do! There's a program they've set up now called ArtsWorks that goes into all the types of career choices you can get with an arts degree, so maybe I'll think of more eventually ^_^
Old 12-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #2933
vindicatedxjin

If you take Chinese, you might want to consider business. Theres big money right there. Although social work is more "fulfilling" I would think.

I miss school so much. I stopped going one semester away from getting my Associates degree in art. All because I landed my current job. I love what I do so much that its hard for me to pull myself away to go back to school. I mean how many ppl get to take pictures of jewelry and photoshop all day on top of rambling on they're favorite forum? When I weigh that, against paying for school...the job wins. But I KNOW I need to go back. I was supposed to go into 3d animation and become a video game artist...Now I take pictures of necklaces. HA
Old 12-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #2934
Saya

Oh, me no do business. For many reasons, but the big one is that I'm atrocious at math. I was awesome at it in high school but I haven't done any courses in uni, and I was told since I took advanced math I would probably bomb the math placement test, since I was trained to be completely dependent on the calculator, and I still am.

That does sound like a tricky situation! Your job does sound pretty sweet, honestly one of the reasons I'm back in school is because I worked in retail and I couldn't bear the thought of doing it for the rest of my life. Sitting at a desk playing with photoshop and surfing the web? I could do that.

Is there any possibility of doing school part time while you work?
Old 12-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #2935
vindicatedxjin

I could... maybe.

I work from 8 to 5... closest school to me is about an hour away. And the night classes offered are very scarce...mostly basic courses that I've already got out of the way. If anything I'm going to have to work part time and have two full days to solely go to school. I would do this. But Connie has car payments.

Also I suck at math too, don't even have my multiplication tables memorized.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #2936
Solumina

You could always try online classes, that way you could work around your work schedule and keep up a full time job, plus it should be easier to find the classes you want/need as you would have more schools to pick from.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #2937
vindicatedxjin

I just might have to do that.

Off subject...I'm going to victorias secret today to redeem my secret gift card that could be from $10 to $500. I HOPE ITS 500!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #2938
Solumina

Soooo how much was it worth?
-Carbon Leaf
Old 12-15-2010, 06:13 AM   #2939
vindicatedxjin

$10 dollars, my hopes and dreams were shattered.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:39 AM   #2940
vindicatedxjin

But I scored 5 cute panties for 15 bucks.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #2941
Solumina

5 cute panties are way better than nothing.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 12-16-2010, 06:33 AM   #2942
vindicatedxjin

Yep....I was just bummed cuz I had fantasized about handing her the card and seeing big numbers appear on the screen. She said that a lady the day before had a $500 card.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #2943
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
My testosterone levels must be up. I became fixated on reading and rereading the way Vin and Solumina were talking about "I scored 5 cute panties".

Meh, just part of being a man.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:11 PM   #2944
korinna5555

I have bronchitis again. Fuck this shit.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #2945
Saya

Did you know there's a bug called a cockchafer? This is the most fantastic thing I ever learned.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #2946
cannibalnuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555 View Post
I have bronchitis again. Fuck this shit.
I can fix you up man.
Firmness in enduring and exertion is a character I always wish to possess. I have always despised the whining yelp of complaint and cowardly resolve.- Robert Burns
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:07 AM   #2947
Solumina

Does anyone (I'm looking at you Honeythorn) know if it is a problem for the water in your fish tank to evaporate rather quickly? I mean I know it would be bad if I let the water level get low but at the moment I'm just adding about half a gallon half way between my water exchanges. The only thing that has changed is that one of our fishies got sick so we added some stuff to get him better (which worked), not really sure why that would make the water evaporate faster, it could also just be the weather, winter is our driest season.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 12-20-2010, 01:12 AM   #2948
sp-1070

I'm So bored right now
sp-1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #2949
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Does anyone (I'm looking at you Honeythorn) know if it is a problem for the water in your fish tank to evaporate rather quickly? I mean I know it would be bad if I let the water level get low but at the moment I'm just adding about half a gallon half way between my water exchanges. The only thing that has changed is that one of our fishies got sick so we added some stuff to get him better (which worked), not really sure why that would make the water evaporate faster, it could also just be the weather, winter is our driest season.
If the room is warm then yes it will evaporate faster. Increased surface agitation from filters and spray bar attachments will also make the water level go down a bit. Obviously if the tank is the open topped variety with the clip on/floating light system, or just has no lid at all, then that will be the biggest problem.

Your water changes should always be once a week, more depending on what fish you have in what size tank . The water level shouldn't really be going down that significantly in the space of a week though O.o
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #2950
vindicatedxjin

Question. Are room humidifiers useful health wise? I heard it helps keep your skin from being all dry which I really, really need..but I have a history of pneumonia and don't want to end up dying from the air being TOO moist.