Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Ben Lahnger

Thumbs down Steal $100, get 15 years in jail. Steal $3 billion, get 40 months.

Steal $100, get 15 years in prison. Steal $3 billion, get 40 months in prison.

SOURCE

Quote:
Ex-Mortgage CEO Sentenced to Prison for $3B Fraud

Alexandria, VA - The CEO of what had been one of the nation's largest privately held mortgage lenders was sentenced Tuesday to more than three years in prison for his role in a $3 billion scheme that officials called one of the biggest corporate frauds in U.S. history.

The 40-month sentence for Paul R. Allen, 55, of Oakton, Va., is slightly less than the six-year term sought by federal prosecutors.
Quote:
Homeless man gets 15 years for stealing $100

A homeless an robbed a Louisiana bank and took a $100 bill. After feeling remorseful, he surrendered to police the next day. The judge sentenced him to 15 years in prison.

Roy Brown, 54, robbed the Capitol One bank in Shreveport, Louisiana in December 2007. He approached the teller with one of his hands under his jacket and told her that it was a robbery.

The teller handed Brown three stacks of bills but he only took a single $100 bill and returned the remaining money back to her. He said that he was homeless and hungry and left the bank.

The next day he surrendered to the police voluntarily and told them that his mother didn't raise him that way.

Brown told the police that he needed the money to stay at the detox center and had no other place to stay and was hungry.

In Caddo District Court, he pleaded guilty. The judge sentenced him to 15 years in prison for first degree robbery.
Lessons learned here?

1) If you're going to steal, think BIG!

2) Criminals in Shreveport, Louisiana have no reason whatsoever to act on their own remorse and should absolutely never voluntarily surrender.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Grausamkeit

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark...

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
Angelic Dissonance2

Have I ever said not to be surprised if I turn out to be a serial killer later in life...?
Angelic Dissonance2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I hate to say it but Hitler was right about lying big.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Corpsey

Both stories fill me with rage. This is just repulsive human behavior of the highest degree.

Something is VERY rotten in the state of Denmark. Thanks for the Hamlet quote.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
AshleyO

God. Fucking. Damn it!
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:15 AM   #7
CptSternn

Every exec, banker, and stock broker who has been actually put in front of a judge in the past ten years has walked away with mere months for causing the worldwide economic meltdown. All have been able to keep their ill gotten gains, which does not encourage anyone to stop engaging in that behavior.

It just goes to show America has already become a two class society. The ruling class and the working class. Pay is already divided up between these two groups in an unfair manner. There is now enough evidence to say there are two laws, one for the rich and the other for the working class.

Police do not even investigate the rich, they are left to their own devices while regular Americans in the working class are constantly lambasted for doing things like recording a police officer while standing on their front porch.

This is the exact sort of thing Kafka wrote about. The police/judicial system being used to keep the workers down. Pitting the police against the workers to keep them busy while the ruling class walks off with all the riches in a society.

A perpetual war without end to keep the masses busy. What's really sad is he wrote this over a century ago because it was happening then. It really is true that those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote