Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:44 AM   #1
MissCheyenne

Help please?

I've just started a new piece of writing and have run into a small problem , I don't know how to effectively write a fight scene.

Any advice at all on writing fight scenes of any kind would be greatly appreciated, I have plans for a number of fights and battles within the story so I need to get this right as they will be of importance to the story as a whole. Websites, tips or ideas for recommended reading in order to improve this area of my writing would be great.

Cheers
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
lady_cthulhu

It depends on how you want the action to come across - artistic and graceful, or gritty and realistic? The best thing to do is find visual references, then write to describe what you saw. You'll gain a sense for what combat looks like, and what it sounds like on paper. You can also read books detailing combat, but since it will be filtered through an another author's point of view it may not be as objective as is best for learning.

For artistic/graceful/unrealistic but beautiful fighting, watch films like "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", "Kill Bill", etc. Comic Books are good for this too, but tend to leave mechanics out as they are difficult to illustrate. Sitting in on a martial arts class will also give you some experience with 'idealized' combat.

For realistic/gritty combat, first be aware that most real fights don't last more than a minute or two. They are brutish and full of hurt, even when dealing with martial arts. "Kill Bill" is a good reference for the hurt part, but your best bet are the more realistic movies out there like "Full Metal Jacket". "Sherlock Holmes" has some good tips in it too, at the beginning.

Since it's hard (and traumatizing) to actually witness serious combat, see if you can make friends with a mentally-stable war veteran who is willing to talk about their experiences. Don't push anyone, PTSD is a very real problem and can lead to all kinds of Bad Stuff if pushed.

As a last tip - it can be more dramatic and make for a better read, but less realistic, to have the bad guy get in a few really good hits before the good guy wins (or vice versa). You won't see too many examples of that in real-life combat, but it makes for more interesting reading. Good luck!

Last edited by lady_cthulhu; 07-09-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: split paragraph in two for easier reading
lady_cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
lady_cthulhu

One last thing - also, remember to include your environment. Most combatants will utilize handy environmental features (such as locker doors) to inflict maximum damage. Have them fight intelligently, as if really trying to avoid hurt while kicking the crap out of the other person, and it should read pretty well.
lady_cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Apathy's_Child

What kind of fighting - gun, knife, or just a bar brawl? Personally I find it useful to place the action secondary to the mental processes behind them. Also agree on the visual elements. You could try youtubing some and thinking about how certain elements would translate - or not - to prose.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote