Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
HavelockV

Sherlock Holmes

According to Latinoreview.com, the Guy Ritchie film adaptation of Sherlock Holmes, starring Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law, will be a reimagining of the traditional Holmesian mythos.

"In a dynamic new portrayal of Conan Doyle’s famous characters, “Sherlock Holmes” sends Holmes and his stalwart partner Watson on their latest challenge. Revealing fighting skills as lethal as his legendary intellect, Holmes will battle as never before to bring down a new nemesis and unravel a deadly plot that could destroy the country."

This brief synopsis was accompanied by an early poster for the film, pictured here:

Now, while I am something of fan of the Master Detective and am open to different portrayals of the role, I confess I am a bit bemused by the plan to transform Holmes from a classic, refined yet eccentric intellectual and into a scruffy Victorian action hero that seems to take after any number of Johnny Depp-type roles. I can only suppose that this uncharacteristic transformation has been motivated by the assumption that the traditional Conan Doyle tales are not engaging or exciting enough in their own right to appeal to a modern-day audience.

I still maintain that the inimitable Jeremy Brett, God rest him, gave far and away the most faithful and yet endearingly human performance as Sherlock Holmes in the Granada Television series produced in the 1980's and 1990's. It is especially in the early episodes, comprised by the groundbreaking The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and the equally excellent The Return of Sherlock Holmes, that Brett shines, prior to his mental breakdown as a result of the death of is wife.

I submit for consideration, The Naval Treaty episode, in which Brett's exuberence, energy and fidelity invested in the role shines. David Burke, the Dr. Watson only in the Adventures series, is quite excellent as well. Other installments of the series can be found on YouTube, as well.

In any case, for the time being I remain unimpressed thus far by this latest entertainment venture based on Conan Doyle's most iconic creation. Mr. E. Nigma, perhaps you would care to share your views on the subject, seeing as you are a fellow Sherlockian?
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:18 AM   #2
Lady Christine

The movie industry is a fickle business. They need to make something overly sexy or something with a lot of explosions to get the money, generally, because the production cost of most films is never equal to the revenue they receive, so the movie industry relies on the cash cow movies to make them they're money back. The Dark Knight being the most recent money maker, I can see where they've decided to deviate from a traditional audience to appeal to the masses.
Lady Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
HavelockV

It is a damnable trend indeed. Then again, perhaps I am too sentimentally attached to the more classic depiction of a beloved character. Still, it seems inexcusible to see a muscle-laden Holmes shirtless and sweaty in some shady fighting arena.

Rubbish.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
Lady Christine

What's all this now? Why are those perfectly sculpted muscles under a layer of beautiful skin showing themselves in a movie like Sherlock Holmes. This deed will not go unpunished! How dare Holmes have a body belonging in 300, I mean, just look at that chest, and those abs! I could wash a... uhm... what was I saying?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
HavelockV

Horrors! The insidious mechanations of Hollywood have taken hold of you. Come to your senses, woman!
Old 03-31-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
isobel black

While I agree that while the idea of Holmes as a hollywood action hero is preposterous, I do seem to recall Holmes getting in fist fights as well as fire fights in the original works so I wouldn't say it's that uncharacteristic.

Provided they keep the action bits subtle, it could be rather interesting, I like the look of the stills.
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
HavelockV

While it is true indeed that Mr. Holmes engaged in some acts of physical daring, including getting into fisticuffs, running through cover of darkness and scaling walls, there was, as far as I can recall, nothing so outlandish as bare-chested bloodsport.

Perhaps, as more about the film comes to light, I shall be proven a reactionary, but for now I remain critical of the direction that has been demonstrated thus far.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:33 PM   #8
Lady Christine

I smell a Holmes Nazi.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
HavelockV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Christine View Post
I smell a Holmes Nazi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jepOYFiAzDY

Take a whiff of that, milady. *Grins*
Old 03-31-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
Lady Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavelockV View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jepOYFiAzDY

Take a whiff of that, milady. *Grins*
I think I just became a Holmes Nazi!
Old 03-31-2009, 08:56 PM   #11
HavelockV

Now, now, pray don't go about mixing up regimes. I am an Officer of the Brettish Empire, and proudly so!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:11 PM   #12
Mr E Nigma

Well.. here's hoping it's good.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #13
HavelockV

I am curious, Mr. Nigma, if you have a favoured flim or television portrayal of the Master Detective.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #14
Mr E Nigma

Hard to have one when the literary versions of him are loads better...
Old 04-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #15
HavelockV

A fair answer. I debated as to what subforum to start this thread in originally, but seeing as I discussing the forthcoming Guy Ritchie film at the time, it seemed more logical to place the topic here than in the Literature section.

How about your favorite Sherlock Holmes case?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #16
Mr E Nigma

Oh this is definitely the best spot for the thread.

I am quite a fan of the Hound of Baskervilles.

(Also, a quick nod to the Disney film based on the book "Basil of Baker Street")

The Great Mouse Detective Love that movie.

But yeah, I like Hound of the Baskervilles.

and The Adventure of the Empty House.

There are others but those are the 2 that pop up in my mind.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:13 AM   #17
HavelockV

I am fond of the case of The Blue Carbuncle and I agree that The Empty House is a fine story as well.

And yes, The Great Mouse Detective was a highly enjoyable romp. Vincent Price as Professor Ratigan was particularly delicious.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #18
HavelockV

I was prompted to unearth this thread in response to the release of the first trailer for the upcoming film, which can be seen here in standard and high definition resolutions:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41120

I feel as though the style channels The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or Pirates of the Caribbean more than a Sherlock Holmes story. Likewise, the characterizations of the lead roles are nearly unrecognizable as their literary counterparts. It's as though the creators of the film did not feel confident enough to create a completely new universe and characters, so they fell back upon borrowing the well-worn names and settings of the Conan Doyle tales.

The slow-motion fight sequence was rather annoying, though perhaps that was for the sake of visual impact in the trailer and will be presented at normal speed in the cut of the film. There are one or two amusing visual gags, and the last scene in the trailer actually elicited a chuckle.

Overall it seems like it could be an entertaining film, but I reiterate that I believe it would have been better off as an original creation and thus freed from the expectations and comparisons that will inevitably be raised by Holmes fans.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #19
Lady Christine

*sigh* As brilliant as the trailer is to me, I have to say I really wish that A) They casted Sherlock differently, and B) They made it less over the top actiony. Alright, Sherlock Holmes jumping out of windows is funny, but the whole 'I'ma take my shirt of and fight a guy' is stupid to me... I don't know... maybe if I actually see the movie I'll like it... I just think RDJ is the wrong pick.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #20
schmungo

You cannot beat Jeremy Brett,here are a few episodes of the ITV Holmes series http://masterpiece-theatre.blogspot....lmes-1984.html
schmungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #21
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavelockV View Post
I feel as though the style channels The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or Pirates of the Caribbean
Why would you say that? It looks good to me.

Quote:
Likewise, the characterizations of the lead roles are nearly unrecognizable as their literary counterparts. It's as though the creators of the film did not feel confident enough to create a completely new universe and characters, so they fell back upon borrowing the well-worn names and settings of the Conan Doyle tales.
Firstly, you must concede that alleging yourself to have gleaned any substantial impression of Watson's characterization from what you've seen of him, which amounts to maybe 30 seconds of footage, is unequivocally demented. Moreover, I don't know why you feel that this Holmes' behavior doesn't accord with that of his literary counterpart. Of course, here we see him facing circumstances that call upon his martial capacities and demand that he be shirtless to a far greater extent than any to be found within Conan Doyle's library of work, but that's to be expected. Sherlock Holmes is coarse, anti-social, arrogant, and unorthodox.

I'd be willing to bet that the success of 'House, MD', whose central character is widely known to be based on Holmes, did not go unmentioned when the movie was pitched. Those of you who have seen the show should try keeping it in mind while you'd watch the trailer, the repartee that transpires between Holmes and Watson really mirrors that of House and his own buddy.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:53 PM   #22
Still Jack

I think it's going to be acceptable. But that's largely because I trust Ritchie not to cock it up.
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:11 AM   #23
Joker_in_the_Pack

It actually looks rather interesting. Oh, and Gothicus, you're right, I did see a parallel between House and Wilson's interaction with that of this version's Holmes and Watson.

Also, I'm going on record of saying the stories aren't really great. The writing of the stories is phenomenal, but the actual concepts kind of suck. Five Orange Pips, anyone?
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote