Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
Wynneth

Not-a-Goth Goth

Hi, everyone. My name is Wyn, I'm almost 29 years old, I'm originally from Louisiana, but I now live in the MidWest. For as long as I've been cognizant of such things, I suppose I've been a not-a-goth goth. It's the best term I can think of to describe myself, currently. Allow me to explain... I have some heavy goth leanings, but I don't outwardly appear goth.

Generally speaking, I'm just kind of a gloomy person. I find dark, cloudy days to be far more comforting than sunny days. My aesthetic--while eclectic--is by and large dark, running along the lines of Tim Burton and Edward Gorey. I love dark Victoriana. I love macabre-cute.

This is harder to explain than I thought. I suppose it's that, while I believe that I'm inwardly gothic, I don't necessarily fill all the "goth" requisites of today. I don't listen to goth music, much--though, I do have great love for music by Apocalyptica, Evanescence, Switchblade Symphony, Nox Arcana and so on. I don't know all of the esoteric goth trivia. I don't wear all black or lots of makeup.

But, it's my sensibilities, I think, that are goth. And, I really feel there should be a place for people like me in the goth community, if there isn't, yet. I've done some searching and, unfortunately, I've been unable to find anything close to what I've described on any site, anywhere. If I've missed something, please, point it out to me.

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
I read, write, watch TV/movies and LARP. I'm currently in a catch-all position at my place of work, but I mostly do accounting and administrative work.

2. Where are you from?
Originally, northeast Louisiana. Boy, I miss the food.

3. Who is your favorite author?
Jeez. These "favorite" questions are always hard, because I have diverse tastes... Hmm. I'll say Edward Gorey, as he fits in with this site and a lot of my other favorites don't.

4. What are your favorite films?
Oh, man. Another "favorite" question. Corpse Bride, Nightmare Before Christmas, Interview with a Vampire, Undertaking Betty, Twelfth Night, Twister, Bram Stoker's Dracula and more.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
Well, I already had my wedding, so this question's a bit moot... But, I walked down the aisle to Pachelbel's Canon in D.

6. At your funeral?
Hmm. E.S. Posthumus' album Unearthed.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
Painlessly, in my sleep, at the same time as my husband, a long way down the road.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
A very pretty, intricately carved miniature casket in an ivory wood...in which my ashes (and my husband's) would rest.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
Well, I can't afford what I'd really like to wear. My outfit of choice would be along the lines of Elegant Gothic Aristocrat/L*lita. (Not sure why "l0lita is censored, but there you have it. Also, I tried to include Wikipedia links to both EGA and EGL, but it's not allowed for new members. Pff.)

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
Oh, hells. Everything. The lack of responsibility, if I had to choose one, I guess. Thankfully, I still have that childlike wonder, often.

11. What's your favorite band?
They're not goth--at least, they don't identify as such, but... My Chemical Romance.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
I completed high school with good grades, then dropped out of college twice. Don't know that I'll be going back. But, I was a Music Performance major--French Horn.

13. Why did you join?
Guess I just want to visit a place and talk with people who understand the appeal of gloomy days and morose moods.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
Female of the species.

Thanks for reading.
Wynneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
gothicusmaximus

You seem to be articulate, but also to like an upsetting number of things that I hate.
Oh well, I'll live. Welcome.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
Wynneth

That's unfortunate. But, I'm glad you'll live.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
Blackbird

Welcome to the site.

As GM said, you seem very articulate. I hope we can be friends, as I can relate with the goth, but not-a-goth thing. (MCR Rules...haha)
Blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
Valravn

welcome to Gnet ^^
Valravn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
Wynneth

Thanks for the welcomes given, so far (and to come, in case I'm negligent in responding in a timely fashion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird
Welcome to the site.

As GM said, you seem very articulate. I hope we can be friends, as I can relate with the goth, but not-a-goth thing. (MCR Rules...haha)
Thanks for the compliment. I believe that having good grammar, spelling and typing is a key component to presenting oneself intelligently, especially when in the context of an online forum. -smile-

You can relate with the NaGG thing? I thought I'd be in an overwhelming minority, so this interests me! Care to elaborate a bit or point me to some threads where you've done so, in the past? -beam-
Old 09-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #7
Beowulf

Hello and welcome, hope you enjoy your time here !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #8
Saya

Yeah don't be too concerned with trying to fit in with us, a lot of us here don't even consider themselves to be goth. So if you have favourite authors or musicians who aren't "gothy", don't be afraid to say ^_^ Welcome!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
Wynneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
Yeah don't be too concerned with trying to fit in with us, a lot of us here don't even consider themselves to be goth. So if you have favourite authors or musicians who aren't "gothy", don't be afraid to say ^_^ Welcome!
Thanks, Saya. -smile-

Yeah, I...guess I'm already prepared for the barrage of negative responses that I felt certain would come. Places like this, where it's community-based, can often be highly clique-ish. If you don't like what they like, and especially if you speak up for yourself, you're a nuisance and should be flamed off the boards. I don't mean to insinuate this forum is like that; simply that I've encountered it often enough to be prepared for the worst, I suppose.

I like a lot of authors and musicians (some of which I didn't know was considered goth--like Nightwish and Within Temptation), but it's hard to pull names out of thin air. Additionally, my tastes are so wide and varied that it's hard to accurately represent them. Bah.

At any rate, thanks!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #10
$haDe

Nightwish ? Within Temptation?

Jeez , If u r a guy,I wanna hang out with you sometime!!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:19 AM   #11
Wynneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by $haDe
Nightwish ? Within Temptation?

Jeez , If u r a guy,I wanna hang out with you sometime!!
Ah...heh. I'm not a guy, no. But, thanks for the vote of confidence.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #12
Fatbaby

Welcome! We are not all as goth as we might wish to be.
Fatbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:27 AM   #13
Wynneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbaby
Welcome! We are not all as goth as we might wish to be.
Thanks. -smile- It's not so much that I wish I were gothier... I simply wish "goth" was less rigid in its definition. Yes, a large majority of goths share very similar interests...but, just because one doesn't dress a certain way doesn't mean they're not intrinsically goth. It's just a different type of goth. Right?
Old 09-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #14
Fatbaby

Goth starts within - I can seldom express goth in my dress. Though I do to a small degree.
Fatbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #15
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynneth
(some of which I didn't know was considered goth--like Nightwish and Within Temptation)
They're not considered goth.

Jillian likes to post a series of youtube videos in order to elucidate what goth is, but I'll just post this one, because I'm deeply in love with myself.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
Wynneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
They're not considered goth.

Jillian likes to post a series of youtube videos in order to elucidate what goth is, but I'll just post this one, because I'm deeply in love with myself.
Well, I think that "goth" is highly subjective, since there seem to be a lot of differing opinions on the matter, here. Frankly, it doesn't make much difference to me. If it sounds good and makes me feel something, I listen to it. I don't care if it's "mainstream" or "indie". What's good is good and good is different to everyone with an opinion. -smile-

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:13 PM   #17
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Well, I think that "goth" is highly subjective, since there seem to be a lot of differing opinions on the matter, here. Frankly, it doesn't make much difference to me.
You're wrong in that Goth is a well-defined thing, but you're right in that it shouldn't be of consequence to any reasonable person.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #18
Wynneth

Quote:
You're wrong in that Goth is a well-defined thing, but you're right in that it shouldn't be of consequence to any reasonable person.
Would you mind elucidating on how Goth is a loosely-defined thing?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #19
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Would you mind elucidating on how Goth is a loosely-defined thing?
No, it is a well-defined thing. I said, 'you're wrong in that', not 'you're wrong in saying'. The latter would have made no sense, as you said Goth was subjective, which would imply a flexible definition.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #20
Wynneth

Quote:
No, it is a well-defined thing. I said, 'you're wrong in that', not 'you're wrong in saying'. The latter would have made no sense, as you said Goth was subjective, which would imply a flexible definition.
No, what I said was in response to your statement that the bands Nightwish and Within Temptation weren't goth. What I meant by "subjective" remains true, despite the misunderstanding. Music is one of the most subjective things on this planet and, by that account, "goth" bands remain a subjective topic of interest. What goth music is to you may not be goth music to the next person. Does that make sense?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #21
a morbid curiosity

Salutations, Wynneth. You seem interesting. Welcome.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #22
Wynneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by a morbid curiosity
Salutations, Wynneth. You seem interesting. Welcome.
Thanks for the warm welcome. -smile-
Old 09-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #23
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
No, what I said was in response to your statement that the bands Nightwish and Within Temptation weren't goth. What I meant by "subjective" remains true, despite the misunderstanding. Music is one of the most subjective things on this planet and, by that account, "goth" bands remain a subjective topic of interest. What goth music is to you may not be goth music to the next person. Does that make sense?
It's theoretically sound, but there is a right way to determine whether a band is goth. There is no reason why this should be the right way, but it is the right way, probably because it was the first way.
Generally, goth bands are considered to include Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Christian Death, Sisters of Mercy, Specimen, Alien Sex Fiend, Sex Gang Children, and similar 80's post-punk bands whose members dressed like freaks and whose lyrics or sound suggest a 'spooky' atmosphere. Whether a questionably goth band is in fact goth can generally be determined by its similarity to the forementioned core goth bands, and its favor with the goth fans of those bands.

That's the definition we use to avoid confusion and to provide us with an excuse to condescend to people. I suppose you're free to invent your own if you want, as you are to redefine any word, though that people will understand what you're talking about cannot be guaranteed.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #24
Wynneth

Quote:
.... Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Christian Death, Sisters of Mercy, Specimen, Alien Sex Fiend, Sex Gang Children, and similar 80's post-punk bands whose members dressed like freaks and whose lyrics or sound suggest a 'spooky' atmosphere. ...

That's the definition we use to avoid confusion and to provide us with an excuse to condescend to people.
Oh. I see. What you're saying is that Goth music, as with the requirements for a person to be correctly labeled a part of the community, is incapable of growing, expanding and/or changing? I really hope not. I mean, I love 80's music of all kinds and have no issues with others who enjoy it. (In fact, I like talking to people about mostly anachronistic music.) But, I'd hate to think that it can only be music that came up in the 80's post-punk craze and/or was influenced by that music...and nothing more than that.

In order to survive, all cultures must grow and expand to accommodate the times. Elsewise, the times will leave that culture behind.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:17 PM   #25
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Oh. I see. What you're saying is that Goth music, as with the requirements for a person to be correctly labeled a part of the community, is incapable of growing, expanding and/or changing?
Exactly.

Quote:
In order to survive, all cultures must grow and expand to accommodate the times. Elsewise, the times will leave that culture behind.
You're right, and because of this, as you can probably observe, goth is certainly suffering. It's a bummer, but somehow when this subculture is gone I think the world will keep spinning.