Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #26
Kalitrima

Ah. Man, I really need to frost that cake. . . I wanna see what a rainbow tastes like.

I've dabbled in cross-stitch and embroidery. It's fun to cross-stitch 8-bit images.

Just started green stripe's second row. . .
Kalitrima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:17 PM   #27
Pineapple_Juice

This thread makes me feel sad and subpar.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:35 AM   #28
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
This thread makes me feel sad and subpar.
We're waiting for you to catch up, PJ :P
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:00 AM   #29
Kalitrima

Why, PJ? I've been knitting for years, and I only-- wait, you read my introduction thread, you already know that. Anyway, come on, join in the chat. Don't make me drag you by your hair. So, what kind of yarn do you use when you knit?

And Saya, if you haven't checked out Hometown USA or Homespun yarns, you need to. Seriously, they're amazing for making quick scarves that look lovely. Though I have to say, Homespun is good for people who are worried about the even-ness of their stitching.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #30
Pineapple_Juice

I use cheap scratchy synthetic yarn. And my knitting is very one-dimensional considering I DON'T KNOW HOW TO PURL. Sob.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #31
Saya

Knit in the round! No purl required!
Old 04-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #32
Pineapple_Juice

For reals? Hats all day long....thank you Saya.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:52 PM   #33
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
For reals? Hats all day long....thank you Saya.
Apparently the purl stitch is so hated, that many people only knit in the round to avoid it.

Its a bitch to learn but now that I know it, I don't get what was so hard about it.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #34
Pineapple_Juice

Sweet Jesus, I'm saved!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #35
Kalitrima

I actually never purl. I just knit back and forth, back and forth, then switch colors. Couldn't be easier, and it comes out looking okay.

I have three scarves finished, other than weaving the ends back in. Which I've already come to hate doing. One is big chunky yarn, in purple and black. One is standard yarn, black and white stripe. (The white is shimmery. Heehee.) And one is black-and-rainbow striped. Also standard yarn. I have a black and green stripe scarf on the needles, as well as a black and pink one and a purple and green one. I still need to do another gift scarf start to finish. And I have a dusky purple scarf, no stripes, on my largest pair of needles, waiting for whenever I can be arsed to remember it.

This is how nothing never, ever gets done.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:09 PM   #36
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalitrima View Post
I actually never purl. I just knit back and forth, back and forth, then switch colors. Couldn't be easier, and it comes out looking okay.
Its fine for scarves, unless you want something like a ribbed scarf, but eventually purling is essential. Also sadly not reversible.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #37
Kalitrima

Stripes aren't exactly reversible, either. Which makes me sad. I'm tempted to take some bright red yarn and stitch up the side of my black and white scarf so it's round.

And if I ever want to make something beyond scarves, I'll put an emphasis on learning how to crochet. I want this so damn much. . . You'll have to register to see the pattern, I'm afraid, so here's the image:
Old 04-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #38
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalitrima View Post
Stripes aren't exactly reversible, either. Which makes me sad. I'm tempted to take some bright red yarn and stitch up the side of my black and white scarf so it's round.

And if I ever want to make something beyond scarves, I'll put an emphasis on learning how to crochet. I want this so damn much. . . You'll have to register to see the pattern, I'm afraid, so here's the image:
I wanna learn to crochet too, I'm thinking once I get a few projects done I'll buy Happy Hooker and learn to do it. I'd love to make cute toys like that, and it would make Christmas presents get done faster.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #39
Kalitrima

. . . Happy Hooker. Heehee.

I have The Complete Encyclopedia of Needlework to my right, and a glasses case full of crochet hooks and an icky tan ball of yarn to my left.

Let's do this. -Puts on shades-

. . . Damn, now I can't see too well.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #40
Kalitrima

Too late to edit my post, but this video looks promising: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w45qDIM5S9Y

I'll try and use that to learn. My main issue is getting the chain stitch to be even. Argh.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #41
Pineapple_Juice

Actually, I think I have the pattern to that bunny.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:18 AM   #42
Kalitrima

Lion Brand's site has a lot of amigurumi patterns. Just do a search, you'll find some amazingly cute stuff. Only a few of them are knit, though.

So I figured out how to crochet single stitch. It's a bit on the sloppy side, but I finally figured it out. I'm unusually proud of myself right now, since I've been trying off and on for weeks, and three videos later, I'm making a lil' blanket. One that I gave up on because it was scratchy and lame. I'll do something nice eventually, though. I just need to learn how to read patterns. It's a whole different language, I swear. I was in two lines before I said "Okay, they're making this shit up. Now give me the pattern in English."
Old 04-24-2010, 08:35 PM   #43
Saya

I got Happy Hooker! The projects in it make me drool, and after half an hour I got the single stitch down pat, and it only took me that long because I was crocheting too tightly. I just need to figure out a faster way to get the hook into stitches, its a struggle even when they're loose.

From looking ahead in the book, it seems way easier than knitting. I still love you, knitting! But this thread might get commandeered by crocheting (I curse myself for not just naming it the Gnet Stitch And Bitch thread).
Old 07-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #44
Acharis

I'm unable to find elasticated yarn for a reasonable shipping price to where I am (it exists - Cascade Fixation and Elan Esprit), and even having no luck finding Patons stretch sock yarn.

So I am knitting some fishnets with leftover superwash merino sock yarn and plan to knit shirring elastic into the tops. -_-
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #45
Saya

Hmmmmm why not knit with some elastic as you go along?
Old 07-06-2013, 06:56 AM   #46
Acharis

I would, just wondering if I have enough (it's a small roll of shirring designed to go on a sewing machine) and wondering how to deal with visibility or weaving in ends.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #47
Saya

After some googling it seems to risky. If it breaks on the tops, that's one thing, if it breaks throughout your knitting, its a lot harder to deal with. Fiddlesticks.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:22 AM   #48
Acharis

Yeah. I'll work it out, I'm used to working with crap or inappropriate materials. Maybe I have niche needs, or maybe my country has shit variety
Old 07-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #49
Saya

Canada has shit variety too! I can't find it either.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #50
Acharis

I can find it, but it's in other countries and has prohibitive shipping costs.