Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:04 PM   #3201
Anise

Oh gosh, ya know I love Anne Rice ~ she's simply darling <3
But betwixt ourselves Acharis, I found her books a chore to read ..
Did I whisper that? Sure hope so!
I dunno? *shrugs* o.O
Too elaborate .. too long~winded?
I'm going to hell for dissing the Rice aren't I!? lol

At present I'm reading Gothic Dark Glamour ...
Well, I say 'reading' but that act is being distracted by my diversions into drooling on the pictorial accompaniments! ... Some nice imagery for ya! lol
Anise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:10 PM   #3202
Anise

P.S. I've just noticed that on the back cover of the copy of GDG that I sought from Amazon it states .. 'Baltimore County Public Library' hahahaaa
Old 12-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #3203
Stormbringer

I'm going to hell for dissing the Rice aren't I!? lol

Heh, Anise, I agree with you. After seeing Mr Cruise in the first movie more than one of my female co-workers decieded they would be doing me a huge favour by lending me all the books. I got as far as the end of the first tome then gave them back - with fulsome thanks for the courtesy of course.

My local op-shop recently had a complete (obviously pre-loved) Harry Potter set too. One wonders what circumstances would lead one to part with the entire set after having gone to all the trouble and expense of assembling it ? Nothing tragic one would hope.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #3204
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharis View Post
Picked up an Anne Rice book from the op shop to re-read (Taltos) but it's not holding up well. Reading for the enjoyable descriptions of clothing, makeup and food... but actually finding the characters really irritating.
This is a big issue I have with Anne Rice. I don't think she's a bad writer, I just usually end up hating her characters XD

I got a sci-fi anthology going on right now, and debating whether I want to read Anno Dracula or The Secret History of Wonder Woman next.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #3205
Anise

Oh dear .. the whole set! Susicious ~~
I think Anne herself is wonderful, a darling lady; and of course she has had great success with her writing, many adoring readers .. it's just I can't seem to read them! I can dissect Shakespeare, digest Chaucer but for the life of me ..
Can't enjoy an Anne Rice novel o.O

I adored Queen of the Damned .. I know some find it a cheesy romance film, but the soundtrack was immense and with Stuart Townsend being Irish ...
Well c'mon .. I have to big up the Irish massive

Interview with a Vampire also translated well into film format, and although Mr Cruise did a fine job .. he just wasn't Lestat .. Townsend is Lestat!

I often purchase books from my local village store; there's a few shelves dedicated to used books; £1 each all funds for the much needed Air Ambulance. Today I saw several of Charlaine Harris's 'True Blood' books. Wasn't tempted, I have the set and haven't read one of them from cover to cover! Again, I enjoyed the series, but the books lol, well there's no visuals of Eric!

*shrugs* I dunno .. Vampyre literature has just waned since Polidori and Stoker. It's hard to get a true story with bite

The Thomas Harris novels Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon, now whilst the film adaptations were great, the books were fantastic! I bloody loved Francis Dollarhyde! My poor lamb ~ it wasn't his fault that he became a serial killer. One can only sustain so much shit in life, there IS a tipping point ...
LOL the worm turns!

Fantastically real characters and you feel them, their inner frailty. That, to me is what makes a story worthy of the read, a page turner. As a child I read Wuthering Heights in under 2 days and almost cried when I reached the final page .. longing for more. Whilst I revere Ms Rice as a contemporary author, unfortunately no matter how I tried I simply couldn't give a flying fuck about any persons contained within a story .. too much talking, not enough heart?
Old 12-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #3206
Saya

If you want a fun vampire read, have you read Bloodshot by Cherie Priest? She's a great writer anyway, but I loved her vampire books particularly. They're not particularly dark or scary, but they're pretty entertaining without being mind rot.

I actually read Twilight and Life and Death (the genderbent version) recently, so I could do a comparison review. I think I'm off vampires for a while as a result -_-* It was just...so...bad.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:59 PM   #3207
Stormbringer

I'm reading Sir Walter Scott's Kenilworth (1821) I've got a lovely 1871 edition with gold embellished Victorian cover. Purchased for the princely sum of $2 from a Trash & Treasure stall. Great novel full of beautiful language and flights of high romance, tragedy, intrigue and Regency period fancy :

"...the extended front and massive towers of the castle were seen to rise in majesty and beauty. We cannot but add, that of this lordly palace where princes feasted and heroes fought, now in the bloody earnest of storm and seige, and now in the games of chivalry, where beauty dealt the prize which valour won, all now is desolate."

A bit of a demanding read at times, to be sure but vastly rewarding none the less.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:12 AM   #3208
Acharis

It's weird because parts of Anne Rice are ok? Like the descriptions of clothing, cosmetics, styles, and food are luscious. It's amazing in a sensory way that gives me cravings. And I like a good story.

I just don't like Michael's thing for little girls, get kind of annoyed at how over the top the characters act when they don't need to, and I can't stand Mona at all. It just feels like everyone is trying tiresomely hard to be Very Grown Up and Dramatic.

Oh dear. I'm a cranky old creature
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:55 PM   #3209
Ellethwyn

I just started, Beyond Beowulf.
Ellethwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:50 AM   #3210
Black_Ice149

The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King
Needful Things by Stephen King
Human, All Too Human by Friedrich Nietzsche
Black_Ice149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:16 AM   #3211
Anise

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ~ love me some Nietzsche.

Stephen King is faaantabulous! Enjoy

Yes Acharis, agree with your view upon the delicious descriptive images of finery. Haven't read Taltos, but this Michael sounds suss! ~~

Thanks for la mention Saya! Will check Ms Priest out <3
Old 12-21-2015, 08:20 AM   #3212
Anise

P.S.

Acharis ~ is Mona a Vampyre?
*sings* Mona the Vampiiiiiiiire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ--srHM_Do
Old 12-21-2015, 09:14 AM   #3213
Acharis

Well actually - (click and drag for spoiler) ...Weirdly enough she apparently gets turned into one later, because she's dying after delivering her supernatural monster child. I haven't read that book.

Gawd. Depressingly this is seeming more and more like the granddaddy of Twilight. And yes, while it's seen as fine in the book Michael is suss as fuck.

^^ I love Stephen King though.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #3214
Stormbringer

Stephen King was part of my formative years. He was a household name in the 80s and, for better or for worse, Hollywood quickly snapped him up. I loved Christine in particular - both the book and the movie. Both came out while I was in high school and the story struck a real chord with me then - teen angst and all. The Shining, Pet Semetery, Carrie, Misery were all excellent but I lost interest in him thereafter.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:01 PM   #3215
Black_Ice149

Yeah, King's books don't necessarily always fit in with "goth values", but then again, nothing does so for everyone. I suppose being Goth, by whatever means, is mostly such a personal experience; like a fascination with something that calls your name from the end of a dark corridor - it almost just HAS to happen when you're alone.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #3216
Stormbringer

Well said BlackIce, It is a personal experience. I'm that person who goes on a walk and picks wild flowers then stops at the cadaver of a big old crow that I found to check on the progress of its decomposition.

With regard to Stephen King, I tend to lose interest in authors if they become what I consider to be 'too commercial'. Once Hollywood gets it's paws on them, it's quite often too late. I think this happened with King. By the time 'IT" came along while I was in high school, I had well and truly moved on. My other problem with King was that, as a person, he was so 'ordinary' - I feel this way about Quentin Tarantino too. I got the impression that he was just in it for the money, producing work that he knew would sell. But then I've always put the 'struggling, starving artist' archetype up as a hero - someone who produces their art with no regard for what the public want.

By way of contrast I love the work of Tim Burton and Neil Gaiman and I don't think that they have 'sold out' even though they are both now well known through their films and books.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #3217
Black_Ice149

Yeah, I suppose there's that element of "catering to an audience" that can really water-down an artist's work. If used right, it creates a really tight relationship between the artist and their audience, but if used only as a tool for success, it can turn the work into a parody of itself - what was once creative, genuine and revolutionary may become stale, worn-out and mainstream in that conformist careerist way which you mentioned - for the cash and the fame.

Once you've read a Stephen King book, you've really read them all - from then on it's just a different story under the same theme, so it gets boring unless you really enjoy his way of writing. I suppose, to some extent at least, that's why he's so successful - he has a very distinct identity which translates into his work, so his name has become like a brand such as Apple or Microsoft. When you think about it, it's really like that for pretty much all well-known figures of any professional background. After they make a name for themselves, people take them much more seriously, regardless of how good their current work is compared to their magnum opus - it still ends up selling much better than if they were to write from under an unknown pseudonym, since people get hooked on their identity, and not just their work.

When it comes to King, I read his books because I like his writing style and his humour - otherwise, his stories are often either very ordinary, or very exaggerated, and the only thing that stands out ends up being this sort of ambivalent morality - he puts characters in very grey areas in a lot of his books, rather than having a straightforward "good" and "bad". And every once in a while, like any other artist, he strikes another great idea, another masterpiece, and people eat it up like freshly baked bread.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:33 PM   #3218
Black_Ice149

I think, on the same note of that "personal" connection we make, I end up becoming emotionally attached to what I like, to what I relate to, and that drives my inner-world. "Lisey's Story" is deemed one of Stephen King's lesser works, but for me, it's the best because I've found so much of myself in that book, that it felt just like intense, passionate, and even obsessive... love.

That, to me is what art and literature can give to a person - a meaning to life, a reason to live.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #3219
Stormbringer

There is much to love in King, as I said reading Christine way back, was a revelation to me. I found it very subversive - good old Arnie! I have never read, nor do I intend to read: The Da Vinci Code, or anything else by Dan Brown, 50 Shades, Twilight etc The fact that a lot of these books turn up in piles at thrift stores kind of tells me that I might not be alone in thinking that they are souless, commercial pulp.

Also don't forget that, compared to you, I'm an old coot. So feel free to explore the wide and wonderful world of literature free from the prejudices and opinions of others.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #3220
Black_Ice149

Well, like I said, I pretty much go by my own judgement, to whatever extent that's possible. I hear about an artist from someone or somewhere, so I look at their work. If I like it, I look at their work more, if I don't - not as much or none at all. (unless I'm looking at them from a purely analytical point of view, for the sake of my own research)

It doesn't really matter to me how famous something is or how good it's reviews are, in the end, I either like it or I don't - it either feels right or not quite.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:03 AM   #3221
Stormbringer

That's because you are an intelligent person, a man of taste and above all an individual.
Again, back in the 80s, I remember reading an article (in Australian Playboy of all places), called 'The Bullshit Detector'. It introduced me to concepts like 'spin doctoring', ' media hype' - a new concept back then, and niche marketing. The point of the article was to remind us that not everything we are told is true and that we must always question why we are told certain things. What the ancient Greeks called 'skepsis' (literally, thought) It's where we get scepticism. The basis of which is thinking for yourself.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:32 AM   #3222
Stormbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Ice149 View Post
I think, on the same note of that "personal" connection we make, I end up becoming emotionally attached to what I like, to what I relate to, and that drives my inner-world. "Lisey's Story" is deemed one of Stephen King's lesser works, but for me, it's the best because I've found so much of myself in that book, that it felt just like intense, passionate, and even obsessive... love.

That, to me is what art and literature can give to a person - a meaning to life, a reason to live.
I'm not familiar with Lisey's Story but I'll look it up. It's wonderful when you find that you can connect personally with an author or a particular work. I tend to feel that way about some of my favourite poems and music. I have intense emotional reactions to certain pieces, heck I am even brought to tears. One such is Beethoven's 9th symphony and there are others to which, like you, I'm so deeply attached that without them, my inner world, my psyche, just would not be the same.

I used to attend 'open mike' poetry readings where we could read our own work and that of any poet. There were a few poems that I would have loved to perform but I just couldn't because I was afraid that my emotions would get in the way. So I agree with you that art in all it's forms gives meaning to our lives and holds a mirror to our soul.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:18 AM   #3223
Black_Ice149

I also need to find an open mike place, because although I don't read that much poetry, I write quite a lot, and so I've accumulated about 100-200 pages worth of poems over the past year, plus about 60-70 pages of a novel and some short stories.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:55 PM   #3224
Stormbringer

Ah my friend, nothing beats bringing your words, feelings and thoughts to life and sharing them with others. Surely there is an alchemy involved. I think all of us want to be remembered after we are gone but how much better is it that people can literally live again through their writing. Whenever I read anything by an author lond dead I feel he or she is in the room with me, speaking just to me. At the end of Shakespeare's Sonnet 18 he says,

"Nor shall Death brag thou wanderest in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou grow'st.
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee."

Our work will always give us life. I belong to a literary erotica site and I've written lots of poems and four novels. It was a phase but I'm very proud that I did it. I would write a lot more but lack of time restricts me.

Surely in the great metropolis of London there must be many oportunities for literary gatherings and poetry groups, more so than in a big country town like the one I'm in.

You do realise you can post poems here.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #3225
Black_Ice149

Yes, I do realize that. I've already posted some poems in Allpoetry.com, but something about posting my stuff around the internet bugs me... not that it really matters that much, but for some reason I feel like I'm throwing away my work, or at least devaluing it. I'll probably post some bits of writing, as well as photography and art here... after I figure out what I actually want to post, though, of course.

I know that London has pretty much everything a person might want from a city, but I'm so nervous and socially on-edge, that I can barely enjoy anything that has to do with other people. Even from an early age I haven't been able to make casual conversation without getting stressed, and at this point I'm completely closed-off from other people, due to it. Everything I do feels so intensely important, because it's really the only thing that keeps my psyche from breaking down. So I end up spending way too much time just thinking and worrying over anything I write or say, to the point where I often just delete everything, due to it not sounding right enough. And then, after I've pressed "send" or "post", I immediately hate it and regret it. The same goes for talking to people in real life, except worse. If they talk to me first, I can be fine with it, but if I have to reach out, I often feel like I'd rather just die instead.