Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Alexian

Was I just put in my place?

On a news website, there was an article on a celebrity who once went through a Goth phase. I went to the comments section, and most of the people there seemed to think that Goth is a phase and that all Goths wear all black.

I made a reply to a comment; I stated that those characterizations are stereotypes. I stated that Goths are not exclusively angsty teenagers or kids.

I received a reply from someone who claimed to be a part of the Batcave days. He stated that I was wrong, and that all Goths are angsty teenagers and kids going through a phase who then grow up to become angsty adults. Am I missing something? Is he implying that we are no longer Goths when we are adults? Is it a stereotype that all Goths are angsty or not?

All this time I was lead to believe that Goths being angsty and in their Tweens or teens were typically stereotypes. He also stated that as adults, we grow out of dressing like Goths after 25 (he stated that staples like teased hair and velvet look ridiculous, for example). Paradoxically, he also said that no one really grows out of the scene.

While it is true that there should be age appropriate looks, I disagree that we have to throw away things like velvet and such.

Finally, he belittled me for my age (I was born in the late 70's) and said that he was there in the original Batcave days. I don't mind snarky comments. However, I thought his comment was a bit catty. My comments also received a few negative votes, but whatever.

So was I wrong? Was I put in my place? If the Goth label is really reserved only for teenagers and angsty, snobbish adults, I don't want to have anything to do with the label.
Alexian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Versus

I don't believe for a second that you were born in the 70's.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Alexian

Why, because I come off as sounding naive in my message? If you really think I care about your meager, snobbish attempt at a reply, think again. I don't have to prove or justify anything to you, let alone my age. I'm just telling it like it is.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
Alexian

Your puerile attempt at humor is rather pathetic.

Oh and by the way, when you were probably still in middle school or maybe even high school, I was in high school in 93-96, listening to Metallica (pre black album), the Cure, the Eurythmics, Alice in Chains, Depeche Mode, Siouxsie and the Banshees, New Order, Type O Negative, Queen, Nine Inch Nails, and many others in my spare time.

I'll take Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Joy Division, and the Sisters over hip-hop any day of the week (not that I have anything against hip hop, by the way).
Old 08-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
Versus

I don't know what puerile means.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:56 AM   #6
Miss Absynthe

Ooh.. are we playing the age game? Because I win at this one!
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:12 AM   #7
Thanatosofos

I was born in 1972, look like I was born in 1982 and sound like I was born in in 1992. On a good day. Really good day.
I'm no expert on the goth scene at all (I've only developed interest in it later on in life) but to me the comments of the Batcave dude do sound a bit weird and elitist. But then again, every time I read someone's definition of "Goth" it always seems to include the word "elitist" in there somewhere.
Thanatosofos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
ape descendant

Apparently not, OP, as you're being a dickface to Versus, who did nothing more than doubt something you said and there's nothing puerile about that. I'll tell you something that is, though, it's throwing a fit about the dumbest argument that could possibly ever happen, going on and on about who's "older" for whatever that's worth, that's some immature behavior right there, worthy of the word you used.

For the record, there's nothing special about being in one's 30's. Also there are no winners in the fight between Batcave McBattersen and Gawfy McGawferson. Only sad, sad little makeup tears.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
Murder.Of.Crows

Over the internet, age matters as much as someone's eye color. It means liitle and used only used to claim some superiority that doesn't exist.

As for the Goth phase thing. Who cares? If you still claim to be a Goth, then whatever if not then why bother caring. Honestly, it's just a label to make it easier to identify our interests. Quit using it to mean anything more than that.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
Alexian

Alright, maybe I may have gotten caught up in the moment. With that said, I apologize for for belittling Versus. That wasn't my intent. I just felt that I was being personally attacked. It's not that I don't like constructive criticism; however, I felt that it was a snide, catty remark. I am just tired of being a doormat.

I'll concede that I have a few personal and psychological issues. Also, it's hard for me to trust others and I have few true friends, if any.

But, whatever.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:48 AM   #11
Miss Absynthe

Gorramit Thanatosofos.

I AM MEANT TO WIN THE AGE GAME.

STOP BEING OLDER THAN ME RIGHT THIS INSTANT.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:50 AM   #12
Miss Absynthe

@Alexian - apologies. You're doing it wrong.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #13
Acharis

Now this is the Gnet I used to know! Feeling a little nostalgic now.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
Thanatosofos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
Gorramit Thanatosofos.

Sorry about that. If it's any consolation, I don't exactly consider my age "winning".
Thanatosofos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
Miss Absynthe

You just need to hang out in more threads like this one.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
Saya

I think HumanePain wins the age game? And I think he's the only grandparent as well.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:04 AM   #17
Murder.Of.Crows

I'm 14.... what do i win?
Old 08-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #18
Solumina

You get a pony!
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #19
Alexian

@Miss Absynthe:

What am I doing wrong? I apologised, and I think that should be sufficient.

@Thanatosofos

I would have to say that judging by a lot of the comments on GNET and other Gothic forums, I would have to say that there is an elitist element.

@Murder.Of.Crows

There's a problem right there. If I label myself "Goth," then I run the risk of being called a "poseur," regardless of the fact that I like Gothic rock, fashion, philosophy, personality, lifestyle, and aesthetics. To some, such things will never be enough. For example, I will admit that I have never been to a Gothic club. To some, that's a Gothic faux pas.

Indeed, no matter how "GAF" someone actually is, he or she will probably be labeled a poseur by someone else in the scene.

The other problem is that if I don't label myself as a Goth, then I will likely be seen as an outsider by other Goths, no matter how much I identify with the various aspects of the subculture (music, fashion).
Old 08-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #20
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I think HumanePain wins the age game? And I think he's the only grandparent as well.
Thank you for clarifying the true winner.

Yes, I was there went it all went down the first time, although I was not in the goth scene directly, my friends and I keeping distance from "romantics" as we called them back then, because of their broad and progressive open-mindedness, I always loved the music, and of course the wickedly seductively dressed women.

And thank goodness it is not just a phase, otherwise it would not have continued, producing contemporary goth music that resounds today with the sound of yesterday: Sister for example by She Wants Revenge, or electro-goth, such as Clan of Xymox, or goth-rock such as Birthday Massacre and many, many others that continue to elevate, entertain and reflect our "angst" regardless of age.

Like philosophy and love, music knows no age limit.

But uh...don't ask me to wear eyeliner.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #21
AquaGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
Gorramit Thanatosofos.

Anyone here over 50?
AquaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #22
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaGoth View Post
Anyone here over 50?
Affirmative.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #23
ape descendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexian View Post
@Miss Absynthe:
There's a problem right there. If I label myself "Goth," then I run the risk of being called a "poseur," regardless of the fact that I like Gothic rock, fashion, philosophy, personality, lifestyle, and aesthetics. To some, such things will never be enough. For example, I will admit that I have never been to a Gothic club. To some, that's a Gothic faux pas.

Indeed, no matter how "GAF" someone actually is, he or she will probably be labeled a poseur by someone else in the scene.

The other problem is that if I don't label myself as a Goth, then I will likely be seen as an outsider by other Goths, no matter how much I identify with the various aspects of the subculture (music, fashion).
Oh my FSM, if we start arguing about "labels" I am going to rip my hair out by the roots and gnash my teeth. Its only the most stupid and pedantic subject EVAR.

No one here cares if you've ever been to a club, no one cares how much of a "poseur" you may or may not be. No one cares how old you are. No one cares.

Just take a deep breath and relax.

Also, I want a pony.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #24
Alan

"I'm gother than you" is just code for "I can pull off being upper-middle class better then you"
And that's not something to be proud of.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #25
BourbonBoy

^^^ What Alan said.

Alexian, I've been to numerous Goth clubs over the years, wearing nothing more than t-shirt, jeans and military grade boots, all black of course. Whenever any member of the scene pulled the "Why don't you dress more Goffic?" I always replied, "The reason I should give a shit what you have to say is?"

Hell, some guy that was dating an ex-girlfriend went so far as to remark, "I can't believe you listen to Goth music." Keep in mind, this is a guy who was all "straight edge" and into Hardcore (Black Flag, Agnostic Front, etc.) who was such an elitist about the hardcore scene I found him to be a cliche and I laughed at him every time he tried to make Hardcore sound like the greatest thing ever.
Point being, life's too short to worry about labels.
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote