Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:14 AM   #26
Miss Absynthe

@Alexian - actually, you didn't apologise. That wasn't an apology.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:11 AM   #27
Thanatosofos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
No one here cares if you've ever been to a club, no one cares how much of a "poseur" you may or may not be. No one cares how old you are. No one cares.
Damn, looks like Iīve found the right place...

This "whoīs a goth and whoīs not" resonates with me a bit because I donīt really feel comfortable calling myself a goth because of my age and because I feel like I donīt "know enough" about goth to call myself one. Both of these points are kind of dumb, I guess.

However, I do not hide my "inner goth" just because I donīt want people to look at me strange, my wardrobe is all black and I have my share of piercings and rings. Not that these things make me a goth but I hope you understand what I mean.

P.S. I donīt want a pony, I want a bat. Well not really, with my luck sheīd just shit all over the place.
Thanatosofos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #28
ape descendant

Bat-pony, like a pegasus but with batwings. OMFSM, the poop, it would be EVERYWHERE!! Giant guano-apples!

It would be totally worth it, if said bat-pony had echo-location.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:05 AM   #29
Miss Absynthe

"Inner goth" - I keep mine just behind my left ovary...
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #30
Alan

The inner goth.
Is that like the inner child but wimpier?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #31
Versus

It's partly an outlook on life, philosophy, and a code for how you should carry yourself. Teach your kids to hate, or give your kids hate, and they will never be able to love when they grow and it'll come back.

Oh... wait. That's thug life, not inner goth.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #32
Thanatosofos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The inner goth.
Is that like the inner child but wimpier?
In my case, yes. A hell of a lot wimpier.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #33
Alan

What I carry inside me is an inner communist, and I can prove it: my blood runs red and my heart is to the left.

I'm so deep, bro.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:14 AM   #34
Acharis

I thought I had an inner goth. But it was just a Guinness poo that was producing whining sounds.

But seriously. If there are any people giving you a hard time about this stuff, maybe they have their heads up their asses and you'd be better off avoiding them.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #35
Thanatosofos

For the better part of my life Iīve avoided most people anyway so no big loss there.

Have to give that Guinness poo thing a thought, I was in Dublin a couple of weeks ago and had my share of Guinness of course.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #36
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
It's partly an outlook on life, philosophy, and a code for how you should carry yourself. Teach your kids to hate, or give your kids hate, and they will never be able to love when they grow and it'll come back.

Oh... wait. That's thug life, not inner goth.
Are we having kids now?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #37
Murder.Of.Crows

You're all poseurs. You call this a Goth site? Psh. I bet none of you have walked into a club and listened to the sweet sounds of angst screeching and wailining all about you, never shared your unique woes over a glass of absynth with another tortired soul. Poseurs, the lot of you.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #38
BourbonBoy

Rats, I thought sharing my angst over ten Flaming Dr. Peppers would help.
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #39
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
You're all poseurs. You call this a Goth site? Psh. I bet none of you have walked into a club and listened to the sweet sounds of angst screeching and wailining all about you, never shared your unique woes over a glass of absynth with another tortired soul. Poseurs, the lot of you.
They probably had that BS absinthe where they ignite the sugar. That doesn't even count.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #40
AshleyO

Real talk, folks. Now that we've gotten older, do you all ever feel like goth is slavishly consumerist and stupidly romantic?

Anyway... I've come to notice that the antithesis of goth is actually much more honest. What do I mean? People who adore and love pop culture. They don't lie about it. There's no pretense, no denial that they are who they are. It's honest, it's stupid, and it doesn't deny its voracious consumerism.

To be honest, I think I can respect pop consumerism a bit more than goth who's material expression is identical yet denies it and invents a story to make it mean something more than what it is.

God I wish I was reading Marx when I was 17 instead of listening to HIM songs.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:42 PM   #41
Acharis

I'm at a place now where I don't have that much respect for either culture. Goth is slavishly consumeristic, it does pretend to have these lofty ideals when the reality is often much shittier. (At this point the only thing I'm still into is the music and making stuff.)

Then I see the pop culture idols and that's not for me either. Miley Cyrus, Big Brother, all that. Will agree though that it's a bit more honest... and ironically, perhaps less obsessed with labels.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #42
Saya

Thats kinda assuming that there is no overlap, I vaguely remember Robert Smith writing tunes for Ashley Simpson...actually I think The Cure kinda dips over into pop sounds a lot too.

And pop can be fun, but I don't think its honest at all. Its often plagarism and whitewashed (i.e. Miley Cyrus being the queen of twerk when she can't even fucking do it, Lana del Ray and Kesha wearing headresses even after Native groups asked that they stop, Selena Gomez stealing Indian music and having g*psy birthday parties, Macklemore being praised as if he was the only non homophobic rapper ever) and overall pretty icky. Which isn't to say other genres don't do it either, but pop just comes across as more intentionally stupid and ignorant. And I do like a lot of pop music, don't get me wrong, but a lot of the artists and fans make me want to scream.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:01 AM   #43
Acharis

True. I think these days I just hate everything.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #44
FlorenceFearne

I think a rule should be implemented where the win in any disagreement automatically goes to the person who responds with a Firefly quote. "Gorramit" was the clincher in that last one.

As far as slavish consumerism goes, I feel like that's basically shared across just about every subculture. The difference between goth and pop is in WHAT you buy, not IF you buy. And I'm fine with that, really. It makes me happy to get a new skull scarf in the mail, or to buy a new pair of stompy boots. That doesn't automatically mean I quit reading or appreciating classical music. But goth still at least pretends to be about the "finer things" in life, where pop doesn't give a shit about elegance or good wine.
FlorenceFearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #45
AquaGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
You're all poseurs.
Poseurs, LOL
AquaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #46
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceFearne View Post
As far as slavish consumerism goes, I feel like that's basically shared across just about every subculture. The difference between goth and pop is in WHAT you buy, not IF you buy. And I'm fine with that, really. It makes me happy to get a new skull scarf in the mail, or to buy a new pair of stompy boots. That doesn't automatically mean I quit reading or appreciating classical music. But goth still at least pretends to be about the "finer things" in life, where pop doesn't give a shit about elegance or good wine.
And what about early punk rock where the name of the game was D.I.Y., or 1980's rap that emphasized shit that you probably already had anyway because it was practical for the working class?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #47
FlorenceFearne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
And what about early punk rock where the name of the game was D.I.Y., or 1980's rap that emphasized shit that you probably already had anyway because it was practical for the working class?
No, you're absolutely right that there WERE subcultures that emphasized DIY or that didn't hinge completely on consumerism. I just don't feel like they exist ANYMORE. Which is a shame, as DIY is so rewarding.
FlorenceFearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #48
Versus

But those still exist, with the perception of an image now. There are even relatively new ones that are out; I'm sure Honeythorn could tell you about hers.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #49
AquaGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceFearne View Post
No, you're absolutely right that there WERE subcultures that emphasized DIY or that didn't hinge completely on consumerism. I just don't feel like they exist ANYMORE. Which is a shame, as DIY is so rewarding.
I still make a lot of my own stuff...
AquaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #50
Saya

I also think goths might not necessarily be into the finer things (oh the cheap crap I used to have in an effort to feel refined, plus there's still a good portion who shop thrift and DIY) while pop music can definitely veer towards having ALL THE REFINED THINGS, but I think the reasoning is better? Like rappers who show off excess may do so in an effort to show that they've, against the odds, beaten a racist economic system, in a way that feels super hollow at best when white people who grew up middle class or suburban or rich do it. I'm sure when Justin Bieber wears a gold chain and grillz while complaining about people who smell "ethnic" doesn't really get the reasoning behind it all. So it depends on who's doing it and the reasons behind it too.

But yeah, from working in a craft store and a thrift store I can say there's still lots of people who love DIY and second hand clothes! In fact the popularity of thrift shopping in later years have driven up the prices. The store I work at has had a rise in cost of 20% over the last eight years.