Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
AshleyO

Teen arrested for playing a FPS app

http://www.wafb.com/story/23429622/t...ampaign=Buffer

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Murder.Of.Crows

The power of fear.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
Alan

I think public discourse would change if we saw this not as oversensitivity for arresting him for being too offensive, and instead we saw it as arresting him for being a dipshit. Dipshittery should be punishable with gulag.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Murder.Of.Crows

But, where would we define dipshittery? I mean, sure, lets not make fictional highschool shootings. But, what about off hand comments? You know how many people I threatened to kill? I haven't killed anyone, but the threats were made. (I was an angry kid)

I am currently drawing comics akin to JTHM, could that be construde as a death threat to people. Maybe, I should go to jail. Just in case.

I guess what I'm just trying to say is, when do we punish possible acts of violence as if they were followed through?
Old 09-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
Versus

It's not like he didn't know what he was doing and why it might not be a good idea.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Jonathan

Stupid over-reaction. How is this any worse than silly crap like Class of 1999 or The Faculty or any other movie where teens are fighting aliens or robots or robot aliens? Should everybody boycott Jon Stewart for his part in glorifying school violence?
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:51 AM   #7
Murder.Of.Crows

He didn't make a video about killing robots. He made a video about shooting his school. Now, I don't think he should go to jail for it. But, perhaps therapy, to help him absolve his stress and anger in more productive ways. And maybe a place in a psychiatric ward.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:49 AM   #8
Saya

Okay, reading about the game it makes a little more sense, he posted a video where he used the game to "shoot" actual students. I think writing fiction or playing a totally virtual game is different, this game just makes it look like you're carrying a gun and shooting things around your actual environment. If he's posting videos of shooting people he's frustrated with without their consent, I don't think its totally wild that its taken as a hit list or threat.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote