Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #51
Saya

Just to be clear, what is Solumina saying that I'm not? You even made her swear. I was careful not to this time.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #52
Despanan

And again, lack of belief in deities, on it's own, does not a modern atheist make.

Many buddhists lack belief in deities. It's not proper to call them atheists because that's defining them by their negative beliefs. What's important are their positive beliefs.

That's why you primarily call them buddhists, whether they believe in gods or not, and you call them atheists only when you're trying to be pedantic or apparently in Saya's case, avoid a discussion in Newfoundland.

Now I apologize for being snarky, but this shit is really dumb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #53
Saya

But their negative beliefs does not negate their positive beliefs. Most Buddhists in Asia, chances are, are theists. Buddhism tends to coexist with other religions, so like in Japan, most Buddhists are also Shintoists. That hasn't happened here in the West, so most Buddhist converts tend to be atheists. This is actually a pretty important distinction to make and is part of what sets Western (convert) Buddhism apart from Eastern. You can totally be an atheist and a Buddhist at the same time.

Raelians putting emphasis on atheism is also pretty distinct and important when learning about them. Its very much part of their identity, whether you want them eating at the cool kids table or not.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #54
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
We had a whole thread of atheism + which sadly got sidetracked because apparently Dicky Dorkins is right when he says atheist women should shut up because they don't have it as bad as Muslim women, but whatever. I'm more than aware that other atheists exists and not all believe in aliens.
Who the fuck is Dicky Dorkins?
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #55
Solumina

I actually know the irreligious community quite well, I'm quite active in the one here and was to a slightly smaller degree (due to both lack of time and overabundance of militant atheists) back in Va. Here there are a lot more freethinkers and secular humanists than atheists and even though we all butt heads from time to time we still kind of act as one community, even if the militant atheists seem intent on converting the rest of us but usually you can make their brains shut off (and their mouth shut up) for a little while by insisting that you have no interest in their religious beliefs.

I seem to see a problem in that a lack of belief in deities is being used interchangeably with a belief in that deities do not exist. These two are not the same. For example I do not believe in any god and I think it is incredibly unlikely that one exists but if empirical evidence of one was found I would examine the possibility. An Atheist could not without ceasing to be an atheist.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #56
AshleyO

I swear to your all's imaginary bullshit.

Despanan. I WISH I fucking WISH I had the fucking tools you had. I WISH that I had the blessings that you do. I want to try to put some shit into perspective here. You've got the ability to craft stories. You have this ability to tell the tales. Mother fucker, you can WRITE shit like I aint ever even seen in a long time and here you are... grappling with a bunch of blowhard uppty liberal idiots on some gothic website.

You know what I would do if I had your skills? If I had your tools? I go write something. I'd write something that the fucking MASSES want to hear. Something that we've all heard 100000000 fucking times. Mother fucker.... Seth McFarlane makes fucking bank hand over fist for his idiotic and pitiful comedy and here you're trying to SAVE THE FUCKING WORLD. People don't want that. They don't want justice. They want to argue and bicker. So these tools on here are right. Big god damned fucking deal! Make money, brah.

FRODO! PUT THE FUCKING RING ON THE FINGER AND BECOME SAURON! Get that fucking money and then you can write all the god damned anarchist feminist prole plays your lefty heart desires. Put out, fucker. Put out for what the people really want to see and then jog the fuck on.

You said something about having to lie about who you were to the woman you love's family. Well FUCK THEM. If you think it's important enough, then just drop that bomb on them that you don't believe there's a god and just let THEM deal with that issue. Your lady loves YOU. Fuck it. I'd like to see them try to deal with that shit. They can't and they wont. They'll accept you because they aint got no other choice. You think they want to hurt their daughter by beefin' with the man she loves? Fuck, broheim.

Fuck. It's all about making that money, dog. Stop appealing to these liberal scabs on a goth forum and get your fucking fortune, mang.

Now I aint here to privilege shame you. I'm here trying to tell you that in this instance, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea for you to embrace that fact for a little while. Just don't be a dick about it. But hell, if you got it, man. Fucking use it. For a guy dead set against religion, you sure as hell seem to make your life harder on yourself for like NO REASON like so many other religious people out there. Yo man... How much of your agitation is possibly self imposed? You don't have to care all the time, man.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:09 AM   #57
AshleyO

*drops mic*

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #58
ape descendant

*slow clap*

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #59
Morbius Fitzgerald

As someone who is not American, I just don't get this. Okay she's an atheist and she doesn't want to have a gun because she's elderly and doesn't want to take another life. To me, thats fair enough but...thats not good enough for the US government because it has to be religious and not on moral grounds? I don't get that.
Morbius Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #60
Saya

Don't worry, a Republican Texan brought attention to it and she was given citizenship. I just know he'll step up for Catholic Mexicans next.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #61
Versus

What if he did? XD
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:00 AM   #62
Saya

Well all I can find about him is him telling disabled vets he doesn't care if they don't get their benefits, so I'm going to go ahead and say that as a rule he isn't a very compassionate man.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #63
Versus

Hashtag FUCK HIM AND HIS BULLSHIT.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #64
BourbonBoy

Who is this dipshit? At least here I can spread the word through leaflets and the like. Hopefully the devil we don't know here's better than this sack of excrement.
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #65
Saya

Blake Farenthold.

Quote:
We asked him about the people who say he’s lost their vote; people like retired veterans who were on the verge of losing their disability checks next month.
He said the stalemate in Washington was necessary to achieve party goals.
“I feel like my mandate when I was elected was to go reduce the size of government, lower taxes, and increase freedom, and freedom isn’t free, and sometimes you have to make a small sacrifice to move forward with what you’re after,” Congressman Farenthold said.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/2...than-ted-cruz/
Old 11-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #66
Versus

I really didn't need to read that.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #67
BourbonBoy

Why am I not surprised he's from the Corpus Christi area? Almost everyone I've met from that region (it's practically next door to Ron Paul's old district before the map was redrawn) is either proudly ignorant or openly hostile to any form of intellect.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #68
Delphina

there's so much

people don't understand.

The only reason people these days say they don't believe in God is because humans have had so much trouble understanding what God is for such a long time

There are so many things I respect about humans but the one thing I don't get is the way you make everything you think about into a human... so God thinks like a human... takes sides like a human... sometimes he even IS a human!

It makes me laugh, it makes me sad

I hope with all my spirit you'll get there before you destroy us all. It's my one wish for you
Delphina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #69
Versus

What are you even talking about?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #70
BourbonBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphina View Post
people don't understand.

The only reason people these days say they don't believe in God is because humans have had so much trouble understanding what God is for such a long time

There are so many things I respect about humans but the one thing I don't get is the way you make everything you think about into a human... so God thinks like a human... takes sides like a human... sometimes he even IS a human!

It makes me laugh, it makes me sad

I hope with all my spirit you'll get there before you destroy us all. It's my one wish for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yGVY-xVaSQ
Old 11-16-2013, 02:21 AM   #71
Delphina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
What are you even talking about?
rotfl.

I think people have been lying to each other and themselves for so long that the truth is like a dead foreign language

it's funny in a way but also sad, like the best things are
Old 11-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #72
Miss Absynthe

Umm.. Are you deliberately setting yourself outside of humanity when talking about humans? Is the implication that you're not human?
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #73
Versus

Kind of late to the conversation. A problem with dismissing aliens who have interacted with people is that we don't have any sample of what aliens are and sometimes assume that aliens are anything like us. While it's not unfair for astrobiology to predict the possibility of life based on our current understanding of it and look to environments like Europa and Ganymede, it's also not wrong for exobiology to admit that our current understanding of life is very limited and explore the possibilities of it's existence in very different conditions and environments. In the same way, aliens are not human and may possess drastically divergent motivations to interact with people.

I have an easier time accepting (I don't) the possibility of Raelism then some other stuff.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #74
Versus

I said that last bit wrong. I meant "entertaining the possibility."

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #75
Delphina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
Umm.. Are you deliberately setting yourself outside of humanity when talking about humans? Is the implication that you're not human?
cetacean, bottlenose, tursiops truncatus!

not human, except in body, only for an insignificant time