Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 02-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #26
Skippy

I will say again that yes racism does exist.

Here are a few questions for those that have been following along.

Who's race has been assumed ?

Who has been told to shut up based on assumed skin color?

Yes racism does exist, and those that were the victims of racism have sought to make another victim through their own hate.
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:14 AM   #27
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourbonBoy View Post
Oh, you mean "should" then I shall restate my opinion regarding "should" vs. "is" then. Trying to ignore racism isn't going to combat it since it's still very much alive and well in the U.S. and around the world. That's like saying, "I don't understand why we should bring up poverty, because I think that's a moot point" when it clearly isn't.
The reason I said race should be a moot point is because it should not make any difference in how we as a species interact with each other.

But as we see it does.

The assumption of my skin color based solely on what I have said and the resultant reactions from the assumption is on display here in this thread.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #28
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
The reason I said race should be a moot point is because I don't understand how it makes a difference in how we as a white people expect to be interacted with.

But as we see it does.

The assumption that I can contribute to any conversation based solely on my spot in status quo and the resultant reaction that I am being victimized when people won't put up with it says that I am a strait white male because that is level of privilege that I have put on display here in this thread.
Fixed that for you.

Listen. Nobody knows anything about you. You could be the disabled native muslim gay transwoman in the sky for all we know.

I can assume that somebody with a shared experience of race as me knows exactly the reason why we're "divided into smaller and smaller groups:" Because we're fucking put there and reminded of it every time somebody asks "what are you?"

I can assume that somebody without a shared experience of race as me understands the difference between color and race as it was discussed in that thread.

You say things that do not support that you share my race experience.

But go ahead and be coy; it's moot to you after all, isn't it?
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #29
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
I can assume that somebody with a shared experience of race as me understands the difference between color and race as it was discussed in that thread.
Angry typo.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #30
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Angry typo.
Understood.

Ask me what I am.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #31
Versus

I might if I cared. I don't.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #32
Skippy

To finish this, I know what I am.

I also know what you are.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:52 AM   #33
Skippy

Skin color is not a value system as it relates to what has been discussed in this thread.

Though a few seem to think such is the case.

Those people show why racism still exists because they continue to propagate the notion that one person with a given skin color is different from another human being.

People like them seem to love complaining about how they have been affected by racism while they unleash their own brand of it on someone else. They continue to spread hate as a means to justify their own anger.

Those people deserve pity.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #34
Murder.Of.Crows

What is louder, a whisper, or a scream? Which one makes you turn your head to listen? What about if you were far, far away from everything in between you and them?

People shout, they get angry because they are tired of being stepped over and ignored by people that don't and refuse to understand their problems. People don't generally enjoy being used by an entire society and then treated like trash when they speak up. When you take all you think you can take, you get violent. Because, nothing else has worked. Nothing else does. Martin Luther King Jr. isn't remembered for his letters to kindly inform people. He his remembered for his speeches, his rally's, his protests. Malcom X isn't remembered for his ability to turn a cheek. He is remembered for his actions, his voice, his fight. Those two are the most prominent, but not the only, people to stand for equality. They did so in fervor, not passive acceptance.

People who are stepped on by an entire society, they don't brandish their own racism. They are ANGRY. They are TIRED. They are EXHAUSTED. Because, every time they defend themselves, they are told to get over it. Because, you tell them it is just complaining. Because, YOU wash out their pain.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #35
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
What is louder, a whisper, or a scream? Which one makes you turn your head to listen? What about if you were far, far away from everything in between you and them?

People shout, they get angry because they are tired of being stepped over and ignored by people that don't and refuse to understand their problems. People don't generally enjoy being used by an entire society and then treated like trash when they speak up. When you take all you think you can take, you get violent. Because, nothing else has worked. Nothing else does. Martin Luther King Jr. isn't remembered for his letters to kindly inform people. He his remembered for his speeches, his rally's, his protests. Malcom X isn't remembered for his ability to turn a cheek. He is remembered for his actions, his voice, his fight. Those two are the most prominent, but not the only, people to stand for equality. They did so in fervor, not passive acceptance.

People who are stepped on by an entire society, they don't brandish their own racism. They are ANGRY. They are TIRED. They are EXHAUSTED. Because, every time they defend themselves, they are told to get over it. Because, you tell them it is just complaining. Because, YOU wash out their pain.
If I were to attempt to silence someone in a conversation based on the skin color of that person what would I be called?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:18 AM   #36
Saya

A dumbass cracker.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:50 AM   #37
Alan

Here's another person that was in that thread chiming in to say I completely disagree with you.
So, personally I want you to stop with the ambiguity and tell me what you are in regard to race and ethnicity, since you keep hinting at it but the others don't particularly care.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:52 AM   #38
Alan

Also, I'm really curious about your age.
real classy
Old 02-10-2014, 06:03 AM   #39
Miss Absynthe

@Skippy - it might do you well to read about colourblind racism.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #40
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Here's another person that was in that thread chiming in to say I completely disagree with you.
So, personally I want you to stop with the ambiguity and tell me what you are in regard to race and ethnicity, since you keep hinting at it but the others don't particularly care.
Please tell me what you disagree with.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #41
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
A dumbass cracker.
Okay, and if that person were to assume my skin color and call me a racial slur what would that make them?
Old 02-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #42
Alan

I disagree with a lot of things, but I'm speaking up specifically due to the part where you said that you didn't make any sweeping generalizations and that if you had, the original commenters would have spoken up about it.
You totally are making sweeping generalizations.

So, tell me now a little about your background and context. Things like ethnicity and age, and maybe even gender.
real classy
Old 02-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #43
Skippy

Quote:
I disagree with a lot of things, but I'm speaking up specifically due to the part where you said that you didn't make any sweeping generalizations and that if you had, the original commenters would have spoken up about it.
You totally are making sweeping generalizations.

So, tell me now a little about your background and context. Things like ethnicity and age, and maybe even gender.
Sweeping generalizations have not been the issue with my statements, what has been a point of controversy is that my statements swept individual experiences under the rug, which is what I have been showing is not the case.

And yes I have been discriminated against because of my skin color.

If I made my skin color known would those discriminations be swept under the rug ?
Old 02-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #44
Alan

Man, stop making questions until you respond in kind to others. I've already answered your question and you've ignored mine twice.
real classy
Old 02-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #45
Skippy

Quote:
Man, stop making questions until you respond in kind to others. I've already answered your question and you've ignored mine twice.
I have full intention of answering that question.

But before I answer that question of my race, I would like to know if the discrimination I've experienced would be ignored or would it be addressed in the manner it deserves?
Old 02-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #46
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Okay, and if that person were to assume my skin color and call me a racial slur what would that make them?
A person who sees through your shit.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #47
Alan

I can't know what discrimination you've experienced in your life if you can't even talk about your life. So start at the beginning.
real classy
Old 02-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #48
Skippy

Quote:
I can't know what discrimination you've experienced in your life if you can't even talk about your life. So start at the beginning.
It was a question with a yes or no answer.

Would the answer of my skin color be used to deny any discrimination that I have experienced as an individual?
Old 02-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #49
Alan

No, but now I'm beginning to suspect whether you'll have some non-laughable examples that you consider discrimination, so go at it. Tell us about your life and the discrimination you have suffered.
real classy
Old 02-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #50
Skippy

Quote:
No, but now I'm beginning to suspect whether you'll have some non-laughable examples that you consider discrimination, so go at it. Tell us about your life and the discrimination you have suffered.
Constantly being called a racist because I am white.

Having racial slurs directed at me by others because I'm white and therefore an easy target of it to the point that I can't defend myself from attackers because my attackers are a different skin color.

Having every word I speak turned into a reason for racists to attack me.

Being shouted down and told to shut up because I am white and that my opinion does not matter and that I have no business in a discussion about race.