Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 02-13-2014, 03:47 AM   #76
Versus

Maybe there is another axis that he can relate to. I didn't understand patriarchy at all, but comparing it to racism that I'm familiar with gave me a little of an idea.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:39 AM   #77
Alan

You go ahead and do that. I just don't have the time to be patient with a dude who says we're the ones discriminating when his whole argument rests on the fact that if his anecdote were reverse, he swears we'd be thinking the opposite despite the fact that he knows nothing about us.
I just can't answer to a dude who whines about prejudice merely based on his own prejudices.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #78
Skippy

It's true that I don't know any of you.

But from what was on display in this thread I doubt I would want to know you.

The truth of the matter is that while I tried to treat you as fellow human beings, you in turn treated me as a sub-human being, only because of my skin color.

While I never made the claim that racism is dead, you made sure to prove it's alive and well.
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #79
Murder.Of.Crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
It's true that I don't know any of you.

But from what was on display in this thread I doubt I would want to know you.

The truth of the matter is that while I tried to treat you as fellow human beings, you in turn treated me as a sub-human being, only because of my skin color.

While I never made the claim that racism is dead, you made sure to prove it's alive and well.
Oh come on now, I have plenty of white friends. In fact my Mom was white. I'm not a racist.

No. Your just fucking stupid.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:05 AM   #80
Versus

Skippy. You're not entitled to being pandered to or accommodated. You can't roll up in here and shit on everyone by rubbing your privilege in their noses and expect nobody to call you on it. I know you didn't mean to offend anyone, but your refusal to try to understand why what you say hurts other people or even fucking acknowledge that you did is a big reason why you are being shunned. We are showing you that it's not okay.

Now what are you going to do about it? You can carry on throwing a temper tantrum that nobody will coddle you or sit back for a second and try to learn what Solumina is trying to show you.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:33 AM   #81
Acharis

Quote:
Oh really?

What advantage does a poor white boy from West Virginia have exactly?
One of these might get the point across

http://thoughtcatalog.com/gina-crosl...-white-person/

https://medium.com/p/a5e5f4e9132f

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...do-while-black
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:34 AM   #82
Acharis

Double post
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #83
Versus

Shit, I'll even throw a token effort to pitch in.

If I were to say "that doctor has a stupid mustache that twitches when he says a big medical term," you would assume that he's white. I would, too. Most people do. It has a thing to do with representation and another thing to do with the fact that white people are the ones who dictate what is normal. "Ethnic" is not a term that we use to describe a white neighborhood. I would need to say "that asian doctor" if I wanted to describe his race.

So we assumed that you were white.

But does it also bother you that people assume you're a man?

No?

Does it bother you that people assume that you're heterosexual?

No?

I have a feeling that it doesn't actually bother you when people assume that you're white, though. It's probably something that you don't actually think about very often, much like your eye color. Some things just don't cross our minds because we are privileged in that they don't have to.

How often does the potential to be sexually assaulted cross your mind?

Probably not a whole lot. I used to never think about it until people at work made a **** joke. Now I'm a little more conscience of the privilege that just because I don't have reason to think about it doesn't mean other people don't.

What does all this mean to you?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:11 AM   #84
Versus

Also DON'T READ THE FUCKING COMMENTS FDJKGSDHLGJDBHLFGVBDFG WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #85
Saya

In conclusion,

Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #86
AshleyO

Quote:
The automatic assumption of my skin color.
White rhetoric can come from black mouths.

Case in point?

Morgan Freeman's prescription for dealing with racism is to "just not talk about it", to "ignore it" and it'll go away.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:34 PM   #87
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Skippy. You're not entitled to being pandered to or accommodated. You can't roll up in here and shit on everyone by rubbing your privilege in their noses and expect nobody to call you on it. I know you didn't mean to offend anyone, but your refusal to try to understand why what you say hurts other people or even fucking acknowledge that you did is a big reason why you are being shunned. We are showing you that it's not okay.

Now what are you going to do about it? You can carry on throwing a temper tantrum that nobody will coddle you or sit back for a second and try to learn what Solumina is trying to show you.
Tell me exactly what I said that was so hurtful.

Not what meaning you give the words, but what those words actually mean in the sentence structure.

You tried to twist what I said to your own meaning earlier in an attempt to shame the "Cracker" as Saya called me.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:49 PM   #88
Skippy

The way it seems to me is that more than a few people are seeing insults and slights of their own making, because said insults and slights never crossed my mind when typing those words out.

It has nothing to do with "White privilege" and nothing to do with "Not seeing the suffering of others"

What I have seen on perfect display is denial that those same things I have been accused of perpetrated by my accusers because of my skin color, either through malice forethought or blind thoughtless reaction.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:05 AM   #89
AshleyO

Man... I was reading this piece about orientation and form and inheritance and it's all like... the white body generally flows through this environment with very little resistance. That shit blew my mind.

A good example would be how my partner gets stopped because her last name is Fadl. Egyptian last name. Me? I never get stopped. Hell, I don't even get stopped when I probably should get stopped.

Can anyone tell me why they think that is?

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:24 AM   #90
Miss Absynthe

@Skippy - racism is discrimination + power. What you've faced at times may (or may not) be discrimination based on your skin colour.. but it was NOT racism, because you belong to the dominant paradigm in our society.

Now, please stop being a dick about this and go and read some of the links that people posted for you.

Instead of arguing because of a knee-jerk reaction to try and make yourself heard, take a moment to educate yourself.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #91
Alan

Quote:
The way it seems to me is that more than a few people are seeing insults and slights of their own making,
talk about projection
real classy
Old 02-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #92
Versus

Quote:
Tell me exactly what I said that was so hurtful.

Not what meaning you give the words, but what those words actually mean in the sentence structure.

You tried to twist what I said to your own meaning earlier in an attempt to shame the "Cracker" as Saya called me.
So what you're really saying is "Tell me what you think hurt you so that I can determine whether it hurt you or not."

ASRGBFLAJBGLJSDBHGHSERBGSLJKERBL

Skippy, how are you going to do that? Seriously. Tell me. Because you. Are. Not. Me. You don't feel what I feel. Something that is not hurtful to you is not necessarily harmless to everyone. That is a privilege. I understand that you're unfamiliar with this and I'm telling you that it's okay. We get it. We've been there.

But dude. A simple "I don't know what I said but I can see that it really bothers you!" would go a long fucking way. Just a brief fucking acknowledgement that I am legitimately upset. Not a rationalization that I'm making shit up or twisting shit because I'm out to get you or obviously seeing shit that isn't there. I mean come the fuck on.

Do you understand that I and many people here live with always having to justify and prove our pain to people who refuse to listen? Does that even register as a fucking blip to you? It's fucking frustrating beyond explanation and most of the time I can't even express it this well through all the fucking red that I see.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #93
ape descendant

Egads, I can't believe I used to sound just like this guy. *facepalm*

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #94
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
So what you're really saying is "Tell me what you think hurt you so that I can determine whether it hurt you or not."

ASRGBFLAJBGLJSDBHGHSERBGSLJKERBL

Skippy, how are you going to do that? Seriously. Tell me. Because you. Are. Not. Me. You don't feel what I feel. Something that is not hurtful to you is not necessarily harmless to everyone. That is a privilege. I understand that you're unfamiliar with this and I'm telling you that it's okay. We get it. We've been there.

But dude. A simple "I don't know what I said but I can see that it really bothers you!" would go a long fucking way. Just a brief fucking acknowledgement that I am legitimately upset. Not a rationalization that I'm making shit up or twisting shit because I'm out to get you or obviously seeing shit that isn't there. I mean come the fuck on.

Do you understand that I and many people here live with always having to justify and prove our pain to people who refuse to listen? Does that even register as a fucking blip to you? It's fucking frustrating beyond explanation and most of the time I can't even express it this well through all the fucking red that I see.
This is what you tried to twist my words into...."The reason I said race should be a moot point is because I don't understand how it makes a difference in how we as a white people expect to be interacted with.

But as we see it does.

The assumption that I can contribute to any conversation based solely on my spot in status quo and the resultant reaction that I am being victimized when people won't put up with it says that I am a strait white male because that is level of privilege that I have put on display here in this thread."

The whole issue of "White privilege" is a construct of racism, it was originally used by racists to benefit members of said group but in this day and age it is used by racists to silence or devalue those with white skin.

That's why no one gave a second thought to somebody calling me a "cracker" and why it is easy for others to be racist about whites and claim that such is not a "thing"
Old 02-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #95
Alan

The fact that you think cracker is as offensive as the n word shows how little you understand minorities.
real classy
Old 02-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #96
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The fact that you think cracker is as offensive as the n word shows how little you understand minorities.
A racial slur is a racial slur you narrow minded racist fuck wad!
Old 02-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #97
Alan

yes, and a wound is a wound, so I don't get why amputees are bitching when I don't mind getting a papercut.
real classy
Old 02-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #98
Skippy

Quote:
yes, and a wound is a wound, so I don't get why amputees are bitching when I don't mind getting a papercut.
And no matter what type of half assed explanation you try to make you are still a narrow minded racist prick.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #99
Alan

In your eyes, which isn't that bothersome to me.
real classy
Old 02-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #100
Skippy

Quote:
In your eyes, which isn't that bothersome to me.
Which is nothing like what I have said.

Because the words I typed out did nothing to ignore your individual experiences with racism.

Wouldn't you agree that race should not be a factor?

Wouldn't you agree that people of different skin colors feel the same amount of physical pain?