Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Saya

Welcome to Night Vale

Has anyone else been listening? I just listened to the first four episodes on my way to and back from work, and holy crap is it hilarious. I was just thinking about taking a walk around the lake so I can listen to more.

http://commonplacebooks.com/welcome-to-night-vale/

Its a podcast done as a community radio news show, but set in a town where paranormal activity is very normal and kind of mundane. A rift in the time space continuum occurs during a PTA meeting and dinosaurs emerge (so the meeting is postponed til next week, where backpacks and whether they cause autism will be discussed), the station managers seem to be Lovecraftian creatures who never emerge from their office, and a glow cloud enslaves the town.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Miss Absynthe

I've been listening and am up to about ep 9.. I stood still in the middle of an aisle in the grocery store for about 10 minutes yesterday while I was listening because I forgot what I was meant to be doing.

Quote:
Telly the Barber seems to be the one who betrayed our community. Telly the Barber. It is Telly the Barber at the corner of southwest 5th St. and Old Musk Rd. with the red and white spinning pole and the sign that says, 'Telly's.' Telly is about five foot nine with a small mustache and a thick potbelly. He talks with an accent, and sneers. Telly the Barber cut Carlos's beautiful hair. According to reports. Telly.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Saya

Whats been your favourite Weather Music? So far I think its Neptune's Jewels by Mystic. I never heard of her before, I'm listening to Fatherless Child right now and I've been pretty emotional the last few days so keep that in mind, but its the first song in a long time that's made me cry.

I've also liked Closer by The Tiny, but I haven't checked out more music by them yet.

Also I think I love how Cecil gushes when Carlos called him in "The Phone Call". I'm still not sure if Carlos is super super attractive, like Narcissus, and everyone is attracted to him, or if its just Cecil.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
AshleyO

I want to listen to this but I have no idea how to do it. Can anyone explain it to me like I'm five years old?

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
Saya

They've got them all up on itunes but I personally never have used itunes, and its still new and scary to me. So I've been downloading it from Libsyn:

http://nightvale.libsyn.com/webpage/page/3 Scroll down to the bottom of the page to episode one, you can either click the grey POD icon next to the title to open a new window that will play the mp3 in your browser, or directly download it at the bottom of the post (it says ,"Direct download: 2-GlowCloud.mp3" for episode 2) right click and "save as". I actually haven't listened to the pilot yet, just because pilots tend to be crap...I'll go back and listen to it later. So I recommend starting with episode 2, Glow Cloud.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
AshleyO

Why thank you.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Saya

Old 08-14-2013, 03:59 AM   #8
Thanatosofos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
ICan anyone explain it to me like I'm five years old?
Sorry, totally off topic, but god this cracked me up for some reason.
Thanatosofos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:15 AM   #9
Miss Absynthe

@Saya - I just listened to that episode last night, and was in hysterics at Cecil talking about Carlos - it was SO gorgeous.

And then I found that I got really quite scared for Carlos when he left the phone message.

My favourite song so far I think is "A Little Irony" by Tom Milsom.. or "The Bus is Late" by Satellite High.

I've listened to The Tiny a lot (I found them when going through a Regina Spektor phase, and I've always been obsessed with the cello - I used to play.) They are defs worth looking into, and if you like them then you might like an Australian artist called Kate Miller-Heidke.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
Saya

I'm just about all caught up! I think I fell asleep the other night listening to The Mayor so I have to listen to it again, and I need to listen to the episode that was put up today. Its kinda sad, actually, I'm going to look for other podcasts since they seem to make my walk to work enjoyable.

Let me know when ya'll caught up so I can start spoiling things. I'll just say that the Faceless Woman is my new favourite character.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
Solumina

I'm listening with Jake so it is taking forever, we only listen to one episode a day because of his stupid busy schedule full of bullshit pointless mandatory stuff (and I do mean bullshit he has to play ultimate frisbee with his division every Tuesday for an hour)
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #12
Miss Absynthe

I'm up to A Memory of Europe. I have trouble staying focused to concentrate on listening, and often have to rewind a little to see what I've missed because my mind wanders.

I'm loving it, though.. so terribly much.