Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
fannibalswtnv

Being goth while following a strict dress code at work?

I've just recently gotten a job at a local amusement park. We get a uniform and have a really strict dress code. I understand that I have to follow it to keep my job and that making money is more important than wearing what I like, but I was just wondering if there were any little ways to add a bit of a more "gothic" feel to the uniform. I don't really care about what other people think and such, it's not that. I just feel like I'd have higher self esteem and be a bit more productive because of it if I had at least a little bit of my style, even if it wasn't noticeable. Here's the dress code:

This is the dress code...

Hair: Eyes must be visible, long hair pulled back. Accessories not permitted. No unnatural colors or "extreme hair styles". Hair ties must coordinate with uniform.

Jewelry: No visible necklaces, one small ring per hand is allowed, only small, plain, stud earrings are allowed (one matching pair), no facial piercings, no bracelets or other jewelry, one watch that does not distract from uniform.

Make up: Must be used moderately. Fresh, outdoor look is desired. Make up should be conservative and in good taste. No cat eyes.

No visible tattoos. Footwear must be solid colored sneakers. No clothing aside from the uniform is allowed.

I'm not allowed to dye my hair black, unfortunately.
fannibalswtnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
Saya

Several ways you can do this! I think in your intro you said you are partial to the Victorian goth look, so look for small antique rings, even wire wrap rings can be small but stunning, and perhaps a watch with a lace band or even beaded could suit you. If you're crafty a wire wrap ring or even a watch isn't that hard to do. Depending on your uniform, you could also hide a watch necklace.

Make up wise, keep it light. Maybe just a bit of eyeliner and a soft grey shadow?

Also might not be totally relevant but I love this lady's work attire and am using it for inspiration: http://sophistiquenoir.com/
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
Acharis

I'm not really bothered by dress codes as I'm very laid back about appearance.

The sides of my head were shaved and are growing out, but the length on top covers to look like a bob and can be tied back. Dyed darkest brown which looks black but not as harsh.. Check your work rules, depending on shade red might even fly.

I wear black sneakers to work. Not a word heard.

Tightlining eyes with a dark pencil is plenty of makeup for me (almost never wear it, mascara if you're lucky), and while I don't have one a septum piercing can flip up invisibly inside your nostrils.

Google corpgoth for sites, as posting links puts my reply in a moderation queue.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
MissCheyenne

I don't really have any tips on dress code as I've never worked in a uniform but just wanted to say gratz on the job

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
Lady_Ligeia

Lightbulb Fascist fashions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fannibalswtnv View Post

I'm not allowed to dye my hair black, unfortunately.
I hate uniforms. I find them to be so encumbering and dehumanizing.

One of my good friends is a cosmotologist. She claims that dying your hair jet black or blue black is actually worse for your hair than bleaching it. Thus, she recommended to me that if I wanted black hair, I go for shades which coincide with "darkest brown" and such. I tried it and was shocked to find that it really did look black! It wasn't that desirous shade of jet black, but it was damn close and most people couldn't differentiate the shades, evidenced by how I was still constantly referred to as having black hair. I think it's very odd that they won't let you have black hair, though. I know that within these past two years, I've noticed a HUGE influx of people with jet black or blue black hair. As in, people who don't have any affiliation with any alternative cultures and such have been dying their hair black so that jagged stick up your employer's ass is really pointless.

Upon further contemplation, I realize that even black nail polish has become increasingly popular and contrary to the majority of previous years, people aside from my friends, self and other people beyond the lamestream culture paint their nails black. I've even seen middle-aged women and other more stereotypically "conservative" crowds donning black nails. This leads me to believe that black nail polish is losing its edge and thus, painting your nails black should be fine.

Good luck!
Lady_Ligeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
Versus

Kinda sucks. Although you can get used to having a strict appearance pretty quickly. If you can't sneak something in, try to just switch up your attitude about it, you know?
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #7
fannibalswtnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Ligeia View Post
I hate uniforms. I find them to be so encumbering and dehumanizing.

One of my good friends is a cosmotologist. She claims that dying your hair jet black or blue black is actually worse for your hair than bleaching it. Thus, she recommended to me that if I wanted black hair, I go for shades which coincide with "darkest brown" and such. I tried it and was shocked to find that it really did look black! It wasn't that desirous shade of jet black, but it was damn close and most people couldn't differentiate the shades, evidenced by how I was still constantly referred to as having black hair. I think it's very odd that they won't let you have black hair, though. I know that within these past two years, I've noticed a HUGE influx of people with jet black or blue black hair. As in, people who don't have any affiliation with any alternative cultures and such have been dying their hair black so that jagged stick up your employer's ass is really pointless.

Upon further contemplation, I realize that even black nail polish has become increasingly popular and contrary to the majority of previous years, people aside from my friends, self and other people beyond the lamestream culture paint their nails black. I've even seen middle-aged women and other more stereotypically "conservative" crowds donning black nails. This leads me to believe that black nail polish is losing its edge and thus, painting your nails black should be fine.

Good luck!
I actually really want violet black hair, but it looks like that won't be happening until next year. I'm just taking this job for one year so I have something to put down on an application when I'm old enough to be hired in places I actually want to work. I do have dark brown hair, but unfortunately not dark enough. I dye it with "darkest brown" and it comes out regular brown. But my hair doesn't hold dye too well, so that's probably why. It looks great for the first day or two, though. Maybe I'll go get it done, or I'll try to buy the dye that they use in the salon. And it specifically says no nail polish, so probably not :/ Thank goodness this is only for the summer and a few months before and after...
fannibalswtnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:44 PM   #8
Acharis

Yeah. It sucks, but it's only for a year and you do get used to it. If it's any better I wear the same shirts to work each week, and I stopped polishing my nails because left bare they don't snap.

If you're finding that dye comes out of your hair easily - it can help to not wash it for a couple of days after colouring, use colour protect shampoo, and coolish water.

And do learn how to do a fast tightline in the morning. It makes a difference but it's unlikely your employer will be able to complain. They also can't stop you listening to your choice of music on the way to work
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #9
Xombie

I had to do this for 5 consecutive summers working at a waterpark; removing my piercings every day, keeping my hair a normal color (which is actually preferable if you're getting a lot of sun exposure and want to avoid funky fading colors) and looking drab and lame stopped bothering me after only a few weeks. Really, you will get used to it.

You should just cover your stomach and thighs with tattoos and then you will feel alternative as fuck and nobody will know. ;D
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:33 PM   #10
Stormbringer

Wow, that's harsh. And you live in New Jersey not in the deep South. My advice is to stick to the rules while you're at work but break them outrageously in your free time - turn up on your day off all kitted out and shock the boss. It might send him/her a message that the dress code is far too strict.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:50 AM   #11
Road Rager

For you hair I suggest cutting it boy short and using wigs when you're not at work and leave your natural hair alone for work. I'm a nurse and I wear black or grey scrubs and use a silver or grey eye shadow with a noticeable black eye liner on my top lid (like a winged eye but without the tip). What are your uniform colors?
Road Rager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #12
Rats

Why can't you dye it? Can you paint your fingernails? At least painting your toenails black could help some.
Rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:25 PM   #13
LovelyLunaxx

My hair is jet black with blue undertones. Never hear a word of disapproval at work. I also did my own side shave but basically flipped a lot of my hair onto the opposite side of my head during the shaving process. That way I can cover it if I feel like it and also for work reasons. I wear short chain necklaces with eye catching pendants so they are almost like chokers. As for work I wear all black anyway so that makes me happy. I almost always rock a smoky eye and dark nail polish and no one has ever told me I am out of uniform before, though the dress code is pretty starchy honestly. As long as you are clever about it you can still dress a little more like you normally would without getting a lecture. Good luck!
LovelyLunaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:00 AM   #14
Anise

Ooo hey .. I like Rats suggestion! Paint your tootsie nails and Goth up your feet!
Also, I saw a teensie tiny vid clip of a hairstyle that made me think of you ..
A super lovely lady with what appeared to be a shiny dark bob, buuut it was under dyed with lush colours! Only evident when she swept a hand through and pushed the layers back! It was cheeky, I liked it
Anise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:11 AM   #15
laughing goth

You know, your you no matter what you wear.
laughing goth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:58 AM   #16
Stormbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing goth View Post
You know, your you no matter what you wear.
Wise words LaughingGoth.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #17
Anise

For real
Anise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:38 PM   #18
bonitachocolat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Several ways you can do this! I think in your intro you said you are partial to the Victorian goth look, so look for small antique rings, even wire wrap rings can be small but stunning, and perhaps a watch with a lace band or even beaded could suit you. If you're crafty a wire wrap ring or even a watch isn't that hard to do. Depending on your uniform, you could also hide a watch necklace.

Make up wise, keep it light. Maybe just a bit of eyeliner and a soft grey shadow?

Also might not be totally relevant but I love this lady's work attire and am using it for inspiration: http://sophistiquenoir.com/
I freakin' LOVE Sophistique Noir! She has really good images for someone looking to goth up a basic outfit. I also get inspiration from gothcollar.com. Polyvore and Pinterest are good places for inspiration as well!
bonitachocolat is offline   Reply With Quote