Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
Saya

The Knitting Thread

So me and Kal can stop hijacking other threads with our yarn banter, and for when Pineapple learns to purl and can join us in our old lady talk XD Should probably keep posting finished projects in the DIY Thread.

Anyway Kal, I haven't seen Homespun around but I'll keep a look out for it, maybe Wool Trends will have it. I got this scarf that I feel like I've been working on forever though, I'm just bored with scarves right now >.>

But today my friend heard that she got accepted into the JET program, so she's off to Japan! I gotta get working on the backpack before she goes, maybe I'll just finish the scarf then and put it inside before I send it to her.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
Kalitrima

That sounds like such an awesome idea. Two presents in one~ When I learn how to knit patterns, I'm going to have to try knitting the Oregon O. It's basically just a yellow O of a certain shape on a green background. Then, after putting one of those on each end, I'll just knit green and yellow stripes. I know I'm mentioning the team a lot, but it's just so I can try and make myself like those colors. I really, really don't like yellow, so knowing that if I ever start selling them, that one will sell the most. . . it hurts, it hurts, it hurts!

Oh, and I mentioned the chest full of yarn! Well, here it is:

I put my boots there for size comparison, since I realized that one of those balls of yarn is unnaturally huge and that might throw the scale off. Mind you, those are a few inches off from coming up to my knee. So yeah, I have a lot of stuff to work with. . .

Organization? What's that? Also, pff stripey sweater wanted in the picture.
Kalitrima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
Saya

Its not such an awesome idea because the scarf was supposed to be her Christmas present >.> I let her pick the pattern after I procrastinated so much and she picked a really easy one among others she presented, and I though "well I can get that one done sooner..." but it was the last scarf I had to knit, and I had done so many single rib scarves I'm just sick of it. And its on size 17 needles so I feel like I can't knit as fast, even though the loops are so much bigger it should take me no time.

I want the chest! I just have them all stuffed into reusable shopping bags >.> I have to get a big container soon, they're falling all over the place. And i gotta sew a needle holder or something, I keep losing my double pointed ones.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
Kalitrima

Oh man. I love, love, LOVE huge needles. I have a pair of 15's that I use for when I get Homespun. I can make a scarf in a day with those. Of course, I don't purl or anything. Just straight across and straight back. Just got a pair of 13's, too, for when I use Hometown. Lion Brand has an online catalogue, yanno. Really cool stuff. And Red Heart has a site, too.

The chest was made by my grandpa. I really want to paint it black, but Mom's hesitating. Well, I have this thing against wood textures (don't ask, I'm just weird), so I see it as a way to hold on to a treasured memory longer, instead of just giving it away or something. She sees it as ruining it, which I don't get. I mean, I love it to death, and I just want to keep it longer. . .

And I didn't even take a picture of the new yarn I just bought. GIANT balls of black and white, and large balls of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, and hot pink. Like, HOT pink. I don't like pink much, but it'll be nice when I stripe it with black. I'm currently debating if I should do the black and pink stripes the same width, or if the pink ones should be bigger. . .
Old 04-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Saya

I like using 15s, but 17 just feel like a bit too much. Also they're plastic, my 15s are aluminum, so there I think the difference lies.

I know they have a catalog but I'm iffy on ordering things online.

Maybe she's sentimental because your grandfather made it, you know?

Just knit a swatch of equal stripes and a swatch with bigger stripes so you can compare. I just unwind swatches anyway so I can reuse the yarn.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
Kalitrima

Ah, yeah. All my needles are aluminum. I've seen aluminum 17's at Walmart, though, so if you ever want a pair. . .

Oh, I don't order online. I just look online to see what they have, then go to Walmart/Ben Franklin/Michael's to find what I want. It's a good way to head in knowing what you want, so you don't come out with armfuls of yarn.
. . . Which I do anyway. I have no self-control when it comes to yarn, because I see a potential use for it all.

It wasn't her father, it was my dad's stepdad. But I think I'm going to paint my cheap mini-bookcase black first, and see how that goes. I've decided that I don't want a dresser at all, because my room is tiny tiny tiny. So all my shirts are hanging in my closet, and all my pants, socks, undergarments, and hats are on a four-shelf small bookcase. Or on top of the chest. I think you can see something on there. . . that purple thing. Hah, I'm such a slob.

Wow, I can derail a thread that was made for the sole purpose of preventing derailment.

How do you unwind swatches if you cut the yarn when you stripe? o__O Or do you know a way to knit stripes without cutting the yarn?
Old 04-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
Saya

I got the plastic ones from walmart, I think, our Wal Marts here really suck for knitting supplies, and they aren't cheaper than other places anyway so I don't see the point. I go to Michael's or if I'm really in a fix, Hart, but no one has anything over 15s, usually. I once saw 35s at Michael's, actually XD Wool Trends probably has it but I'm never there, its really out of the way. Now that the weather is nicer though maybe I can get over there more often.

And don't worry about derails too much anyway, this place is awful for it (which I like, actually). Since knitting is a big topic anyway it just deserves its own thread before we take over the whole forum.

And nope, I don't cut it off normally, I just knit and knit and knit, and when I can get an idea of how its going to look or I get my gauge, I take it off the needle, measure and then unwind it all. But its not hard to undwind swatches anyway, you just undo the binding. I haven't done it yet but I'm told a cheap or eco friendly way to get yarn is get second hand sweaters and just unwind them.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
Kalitrima

Wow, really? Because when I go to Wal-Mart, I can get a Super Saver of Red Heart for about $2.60 or something, and at Ben Franklin for $5.00. I don't know how much Michael's is for that, but I know I can get Homespun cheaper at Walmart. Of course, Michael's has an entier back wall of yarn, and Walmart. . . well, the one in Eugene has only one side of an aisle, while the one in Cottage Grove has an entire corner. Keep in mind that Eugene is a city and Cottage Grove a town. That probably explains it.

I'm good at derailing, because I tend to ramble on and on and on about things, one topic leading to another. Seriously, my cousin and I have been talking lately in Facebook private messages, and at this point we've had to split up each of our replies into two or three parts.

Ooh, that's a good idea! A fourth reason why I really, really, REALLY need to go to Goodwill soon. I have a list going now.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #9
Saya

Well, again, I hate regular Red Hart and I haven't seen the super saver in Softee (yet!). The Super Saver price is pretty much the same at Hart, though. Michael's is a bit more expensive generally but the choices! They have discount bins occassoinally too, I got a whack load of nice holiday yarn just before Christmas for like two dollars a skein.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
Kalitrima

Did you happen to get a dark green Red Heart yarn with a green metallic stripe running through it? My uncle wants a metallic green scarf, and that one looks perfect. Only I can't find it anywhere, since it's holiday only. If you do have a full skein of it, I'd be happy it either buy it from you or send a scarf as payment. And yeah, the selection is absolutely amazing there, but the prices are higher. And in my situation, I have to worry more about cost. Still irritated that I had to pay twice as much for yellow as I did for any other skeins of yarn, because they didn't have it at either Walmart. . . -Grumble grumble-

. . . I'm sitting in the LCC library right now, and so far, three people have commented on how massive my black ball of yarn is. This is hilarious.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
Saya

Nah, the brand I can't remember and I bought all red and white.

I think my roommate has that big black ball, she's making a sweater out of it XD its huge!
Old 04-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
Kalitrima

Damn. I've been looking for it, but it's way too expensive to buy it from a different site and pay shipping. The yarn itself is only a few dollars, but. . .

I'm tempted to get a second one, because I know I'll need it. Besides, then my mom and I can make jokes about. . . well, don't need to go into that. I'm just glad we both have the same sense of humor.

This scarf's turning out nicely so far. Though it hurts my eyes if I stare at the ball of pink. Seriously, it's blinding neon pink. . . Once I do a few stripes, I'll take a picture and show here. I would be working on my black-and-rainbow-stripe scarf, but I didn't want to carry a massive bag with six large balls and a massive one to college. Don't think I have a bag big enough, other than my powder blue backpack. Which I would rather not use. I love that blue, but it kinda ruins an all-black ensemble.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #13
Saya

Its on ebay for three dollars!
http://cgi.ebay.com/RED-HEART-YARN-h...#ht_500wt_1182

But yeah having to pay shipping for something so cheap is lame.

Oh man craftster.org has a shirt I want, "Knitting Takes Balls".

Pfft, I never worry about clashes. The most gawfic guy I know goes around with a green man purse, its hilarious.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
Kalitrima

With shipping, it's $9. For a skein of cheap yarn? Bah. I'll make Uncle Jim buy it if he wants it so much.

Never been to Craftster. I saw a comment someone (I think it was you) made about it being a time trap. Trust me, I have too many time traps in my life already. And too many things I want. Oh, Retroscope. . .

Well, I already have a bag that can comfortably fit two balls of yarn in it. Even if it's two insanely massive ones. It's a really handy bag, and I love it. And it works out this way, really. Since the scarf is black and pink striped, all I have to do is get the black to the point where I can cut the yarn. Then I can just use the black with the rainbow colors freely. See, this is how I have ten projects going at once, all on different needles. . .
Old 04-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #15
Luv2H8

I want to learn how to knit, do you know where I could get lessons?

And Kalitrima, I LOVE Retroscope! I want this:
http://www.retroscopefashions.com/im...s/1CT00019.jpg
Old 04-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #16
Saya

Some craft or yarn stores give lessons! The store here will help you out if you have any problems with your knitting, that is free I think. I think Michael's is usually a good place for that. I taught myself from the interwebz, http://www.knittinghelp.com/ was a great help, and also youtube has a lot of how to videos. And I still gotta say Stitch N Bitch is the greatest knitting book evar for learning and keeping you interested XD They should pay me money for promotion.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #17
Luv2H8

^Thank You!

Have you thought of starting a sewing thread, too? It would compliment the knitting thread. I'd start it, but something tells me that it would give a false impression that I know how to sew, which I don't.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #18
Kalitrima

Oh man, that coat is gorgeous. I want to order one of their black and white parasols. . . They'd match the boots in the picture above, hm?

If you get your hands on some needles and yarn, I'd be happy to teach you over Skype or something~ Of course, I don't like people seeing my face, so expect some sort of mask. Yes, yes, terribly dramatic. But hey, it keeps me hidden.

Saya, if there's a way to rename the thread, you should change it to The Needlecraft Thread or something. Somewhere where people can talk about their WIP projects, instead of putting them in the DIY thread. Then I could start rambling on about embroidery, too.

Oh, and I don't wanna sound rude or anything, but I prefer Kali to Kal. XD Meant to mention it earlier on, but I forgot.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #19
Luv2H8

^ Something like this perhaps?
http://www.venetianmasksociety.com/z...amegold171.jpg
Old 04-07-2010, 09:52 PM   #20
Kalitrima

More like a Guy Fawkes mask, though I'd love to get a fancier one. But I only own two masks, and one of them is a really ugly Freddy Krueger one.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #21
Luv2H8

Speaking of masks Imma start one (mask thread). Now!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #22
Kalitrima

Well, right now, I'm working on my rainbow scarf. So far, I've done these rows. . .

8 black
8 red
4 black
8 orange
4 black
5 yellow

And still working. Once I finish through to purple, I'll get a picture. Too lazy to take a picture of my black/pink one now. . .
Old 04-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #23
Luv2H8

Done!!
I agree with Kat. This thread should include all needlecraft. Unfortunately, it's impossible to change the thread title, I think.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #24
Kalitrima

Kat? That's a new one. XD Call me Kali, please. And damn. It would be good to have one thread for all sorts of projects, such as knitting, crocheting, sewing, embroidery. . .
Old 04-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #25
Luv2H8

I was eating a Kit-Kat so that's how I got that name.

I hardly tried any needlecraft, but I am wanting to learn so a needlecraft thread does sound great.