Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Saya

Comics Sans Shitstorm.

The thread title will totally make sense a year from now.

Anyway, didn't really want to continually post in a thread about the DC Reboot when talking about comics that aren't involved in the reboot, or now that I'm relatively over the reboot and ready to just read and pretend it was all a bad dream. Plus this way we can talk about stuff that isn't DC. So, whatchya reading?

Went to the comic book store but they aren't getting the DC titles in for another few days, apparently they like to focus on Marvel. Sooooo I think I might go to the other store downtown tomorrow morning.

But while I was there I picked up Retroactive: Wonder Woman -The 90s. I wasn't going to pick up any of her Retroactives, I didn't hear good reviews for the first two, but I saw this on tumblr the other day and it cracked me up:

And its pretty good. Very kiddy, but its the kind of thing that I would have LOVED when I was a kid. Very much in line with the whole "Girl Power" thing of the 90s, but it wasn't as superficial as when the Spice Girls did it. Basically she's taking care of these kids and training them like she was trained when she was little, but all they want to do is read magazines and talk about boys and play house. But after she says they can go back to that, they realize its not as interesting as building a steam engine and start to enjoy being active.

Again, very kiddy, but it made me start thinking "Is Wonder Woman alluding back to the first wave of feminism in which some feminists thought that frivolous things like fashion distract women from bettering themselves in other ways? But in keeping their club name "The Blossoms", obviously they're not saying that they want to be masculine, its not being girly that's the problem..." And that was my bus ride home.

Its also hilarious, if it helps. And after that they have the issue "A Sudden Deadly Leap" which was the first issue of a pretty good arch.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
wolf moon

There are three things about that image I truly love:

01. The fact that I'm not the only one who makes Barbie and Ken talk to each other like that.

02. The expression on her face.

03. The phrase "bulbous femininity"

Wonder Woman has always seemed to send the message that one can be girly as all hell (Okay, so you never see it...but she has to curl her hair. At least.) and also tougher than the boys. I think she's cool with femininity. Just, you know, not the unrealistic, bulbous sort.
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
Saya

I had a really intense Feminist Theory class before I went XD Mostly meant that as a joke.

But she was definitely more butch in this issue. I didn't read Wonder Woman as a kid, but in "A Sudden Deadly Leap" her muscles were HUGE and her head was so tiny in comparison! My scanner doesn't work but I'll have to try to take a picture of it, its really weird to look at.

And she's Greek, I assume the curls are natural.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Saya

My scanner doesn't want to work so I had to talk a picture with my phone:

Behold! WHEN COMICS HAD THE EXACT OPPOSITE PROBLEM DRAWING WOMEN AS THEY DO NOW.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Solumina

Damn, look at those calves!
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:07 AM   #6
Versus

Oddly, she's still smaller then him.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
Saya

Finally got the comics I wanted!

Turns out I was right about Wonder Woman, but indeed wrong about the apparent zombie. That wasn't a zombie, it was SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER, Hermes. Huh. He has a really weird design for a god I always thought was supposed to be handsome, but Apollo looks really cool. Otherwise, not a whole lot of talking for Diana herself, more setting up the plot and lots of action, but it left me excited to read the next issue. And now it totally makes sense why Hera would be pissed at her.

But yeah, what's horror seems to be how dark and evil the gods and mythical creatures seem to be, but doesn't really seem to faze Diana much. So far.

Batwoman didn't have much action, mostly it seemed to be setting up her next villain and kinda going over Elegy in case we forgot in the year that we were waiting for her comic. Still, art was amazing, and the villain set up is strange enough that I again really can't wait for the next one.

I got Animal Man and Birds Of Prey too, will probably dig into them later tonight.

ETA: I think I weirded out the comic book guy when I got my comics. Batwoman wasn't on the shelf and told me I'd have to wait for issue 2, because that's when they'd get the reprints, and I was like NOOOOO SHE WAS THE ONE I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO THE MOST, and he magically found a copy in the back after that XD
Old 09-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
Spooky Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Behold! WHEN COMICS HAD THE EXACT OPPOSITE PROBLEM DRAWING WOMEN AS THEY DO NOW.
Are those pecs or boobs?

I think if you scribbled a beard on her chin, she'd look like "Sampson, the penisless boy wonder."

Zombie Protest:
"What do we want?" "Braaaaaaaaaaains...!"
"When do we want it?" "Braaaaaaaaaaains...!"
Spooky Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
Solumina

I really don't think she looks at all like a man. A lot of the butch-ness of that image is due to her pose and, oddly enough, the way that her hair is falling over her shoulders but even with that she still looks like a woman to me.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Damn, look at those calves!
Geez! They're all I can see!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
Spooky Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf moon View Post
Geez! They're all I can see!
They're as big around as her thighs!

I'm telling you, if she was wearing a toga and some chin hair, you'd be thinking "Who's that young man? Is he the new town hero?"

Zombie Protest:
Old 09-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
JCC

Read 100 Bullets and Hitman over the last couple days. They were good.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #13
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky Spencer View Post
They're as big around as her thighs!

I'm telling you, if she was wearing a toga and some chin hair, you'd be thinking "Who's that young man? Is he the new town hero?"
She's still got the hourglass shape, dude.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #14
Valhalla

Quote:
I found this picture so adorable that I'm going to go read the comic arch it's from the next time school allows me to read for pleasure.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #15
Spooky Spencer

Quote:
She's still got the hourglass shape, dude.
Yeah, and so would this guy if you put him in a corset.

Zombie Protest:
Old 09-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #16
Saya

And you'd be complaining that if he lost the chin hair, he'd be a woman.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #17
Spooky Spencer

Quote:
And you'd be complaining that if he lost the chin hair, he'd be a woman.
Well, for a guy wearing a dress, you'd think he'd have found some nice sandals to match that jawbone he accessorized with. Maybe a rib bone necklace, too.

Zombie Protest:
Old 09-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #18
wolf moon

Quote:
Well, for a guy wearing a dress, you'd think he'd have found some nice sandals to match that jawbone he accessorized with. Maybe a rib bone necklace, too.
Hey now, he slew a thousand men with that jawbone. Don't get all up on the jawbone.

My husband and I are Paleo. We are rather fond of cavemen. I might have to make that his wallpaper when he isn't looking.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #19
Saya

I ordered Batman: Holy Terror. I saw a review of Frank Miller's Holy Terror on Comics Alliance (hint: it was a racist piece of shit, apparently), but then they had a piece about Batman: Holy Terror, it was the first book published under the Elseworld name, and was about what would happened if Cromwell lived longer, the US might not have separation of church and state, so its a theocracy and Bruce Wayne is a minister who finds out that his parents' murder was a government conspiracy. Sounds a lot like A Handmaid's Tale only more about how it would affect superheroes rather than women, and looks pretty good. Its out of print but I found a used copy online for seven bucks.

Also, Nightwing really really needs to be made into a movie.

Sigh.

Also waiting on Fun Home by Alison Bechdel in the mail.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #20
CuckooTuli

Six Degrees of Devastation. I'm loving it so far.
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #21
Saya

Swamp Thing 1 and 2 was awesome, and the first issue of Huntress is awesome too. I might use Huntress as an example of how you can have a woman run around in negligee without it feeling at all like pandering.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #22
Saya

Also, super good article in which comic creators talk about what is wrong with how comics portray women and ways to improve:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/1...#ixzz1agb4AnzG
Old 10-15-2011, 07:01 AM   #23
Despanan

Quote:
Yeah, and so would this guy if you put him in a corset.

Shit. Sampson bares a passing resemblance to Iron Liz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #24
Saya

Read Batwing 1 and 2, Batwoman 2, and The Flash 1.

Batwing, I'm not sure if I love. The art is amazing and I do like the character Batwing, but I get annoyed with the "In Africa, we..." Writers, Africa is a huge ass continent. One Batman probably isn't going to suffice to bring justice to ALL OF AFRICA. Also, dude is Congolese. Research, writers!

It also says that superheroes helped end the Congolese civil war, and its okay, it makes sense that in a world with superheroes they'd want to help end the Congolese conflict, its just...I dunno, he chases down drug dealers I think because there's an idea that this is what corruption in Africa looks like, rather than this is what corruption in the DRC looks like.

Batwoman 2 was good, I thought Kate's date with Maggie was really sweet, and I'm not too big a fan of them as a couple.

The Flash was pretty good, made me laugh in a few parts.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:36 AM   #25
Despanan

I totally thought this thread was about folk getting fed up with the "comic sans" font.

That said, you should read Invincible by Robert Kirkman, Saya. Not only is it a damn good book, but I think you'd like Atom Eve, who after being a superheroine for a while, realizes how selfish crime fighting was, and left to use her powers to help the 3rd world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote