Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:08 AM   #1
Haunted House

Cool DIY Acomplishments.

This is a thread to post about your cool DIY doings. Talk about how you did what you did and post pictures if you want. Share ideas, ask questions, and give constructive criticism.

I, for example, just compleated putting a spider web on my leather jacket. I made it from thin strips of an old white fishnet shirt. I pinned them all into shape on top of the left shoulder of the jacket so that it can be seen from the front, side, and back. I don't have any pictures of it, though. I'll post one when the whole jacket is complete which could take a while. I plan on painting the Sex Gang Children's running skeleton with the scyth on the back.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:33 AM   #2
Delicate_Torture

I put a run in a pair of fishnets once.

Does that count?
Old 10-14-2006, 10:20 AM   #3
She_Is_My_Sin

When I went to go & see The Mighty Bosh live, I decided I wasn't gonna fork out 20 pounds for some Boosh clothing, so I made some T-shirts.

I used white fabric paint & jazzed upsome old black tee's with that skull design. I also did it to my handbag.

Loads of people think they're actual official T-shirts ^_^
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:02 PM   #4
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Um, I made a scarecrow.....a pretty gross looking one for my standards and for the materials I had. And ummmmm, yeah I know it's not exactly clothing, but still a DIY project. I'll explain later when I have a picture of it.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:26 PM   #5
Cicero

My wardrobe is about 40% DIY projects... and if you've seen my wardrobe, 40% amounts to a LOT.

Yesterday I finished my masterpiece though, which was a black velour jacket with 18th century 3/4 sleeves with lace cuffs, and frog clasps down the front (I swear those are THE most masochistic clasps ever invented, but they're oh-so-pretty). I'll post pictures later today.

Then there's also a whole heap of velvet, velour and lace skirts, and every top I own I've altered in some way, and I've made about half entirely from scratch. And how could I forget all my stockings? Not a single pair has escaped the attack of the scissors/fingernails (very handy for making runs in them!).

I really am quite a DIY maniac. I just don't feel the same sense of accomplishment or individuality when I wear something I bought from a shop.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:54 AM   #6
Haunted House

I'm really big on DIY as well. Not only is it fun to work through different projects, but you get a sence of even more individuality because you are the only person with something like that (unless its simple or you knew that someone else did it before and you wanted one too or something). I have a pair of black jeans that I cut holes into all the way up the front of the leg to about mid-thigh and slashed up the bottoms of the pant legs into tatters. I wear fishnets under them and it looks rather nice. It was a simple project, but I still like how it looks. I also recently added a fully customized Theatre of Hate patche onto my leather jacket. My fingers are still in pain from pushing safety pins through thick leather.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:19 PM   #7
Haunted House

Though it isn't done yet I guess I'll show my jacket as of now.

Front
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...acketfront.jpg

Back
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...jacketback.jpg

Tell me what you think.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:48 PM   #8
BATANGEL

jacket looks FAB........love DIY clothes have always gone the DIY route here are my tips.........
Buy mega cheap jeans off Ebay and then tie dye them with bleach then dye them purple, red, green what ever pleases you!! machine dyes are better, you could also bleach certain areas and then dye them.
buy cheap iron transfers of bands, cartoons ect, tranfer them on to sturdy material, then get some cool fabric IE spider webs, Bats and tack the transfer on to the fabric and then on to tshirt, i have a ruby gloom t shirt done that way and it looks ace!!!
BATANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:06 PM   #9
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted House

*Steals jacket*

Old 10-25-2006, 08:56 AM   #10
Haunted House

Hahaha. I painted that on thie myself and it didn't take that long either. I love it.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:51 PM   #11
chelseagirl

I've made these hair falls:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...s/9d429861.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...s/IMG_1277.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...s/IMG_1309.jpg

I love making hair extensions...but I really have no talent for anything else.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:18 PM   #12
X-Rose-Of-Your-Promise-X

Wow how do you make fake...hair...stuff...Lol, amazing?
I just read this thread and remembered i have an old pair of jeans that were given to me so i got them out and literally ripped them apart...im wearing them now, from top to bottom its just rips,holes everywhere Im going to wear stripey tights underneath
The last piece i customized was an old navy jacket which i put lots of spikes all over one shoulder, with 5 long ones poking out from the top of it. also covered the jacket with safety pins and painted an inverted pentagram on the back.
X-Rose-Of-Your-Promise-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:28 PM   #13
BlackButterfly

Some of my DIY accomplishments:

This outfit (sewing leather is a BITCH!!!)

This costume (and the staff too!)

Cyber-armguard-thingy and hoverboard

Freaked out this suit jacket... (ignore the makeup--my skills were still young...)

AWESOME dreadfalls, by the way...
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:43 PM   #14
Godslayer Jillian

I'm in love.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:05 PM   #15
PersephoneX

i love that jacket!!!
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:56 AM   #16
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Rose-Of-Your-Promise-X
Wow how do you make fake...hair...stuff...Lol, amazing?
I just read this thread and remembered i have an old pair of jeans that were given to me so i got them out and literally ripped them apart...im wearing them now, from top to bottom its just rips,holes everywhere Im going to wear stripey tights underneath
The last piece i customized was an old navy jacket which i put lots of spikes all over one shoulder, with 5 long ones poking out from the top of it. also covered the jacket with safety pins and painted an inverted pentagram on the back.
Ooh, I love tights under holey jeans!! I usually wear red tights with black fishnets under jeans.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:59 AM   #17
chelseagirl

BlackButterfly: That leather outfit is AMAZING!
Old 11-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #18
Haunted House

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeartedDemoness
Ooh, I love tights under holey jeans!! I usually wear red tights with black fishnets under jeans.
As do I. I'm cutting one leg off of a pair of jeans (at about above the knee) so I can wear multiple ripped up fishnets, but they'll only show on that one leg.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:34 PM   #19
badteccy

Yea, that's hooooot.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #20
BlackButterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl
BlackButterfly: That leather outfit is AMAZING!
Thanks. It's not finished the way I want, but the details I managed to complete almost caused the death of my hands... After three days of punching holes and affixing eyelets, lace, studs and chains to multiple layers of synthetic leather, I had the shakes, and more than a few blisters (hence, the gloves...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersephoneX
i love that jacket!!!
Me too, but for some reason, whenever I wear it out, "regular" people start making "Michael Jackson" comments... ::grrr::
I've had a few commission requests for copies of it, but I want this one to be one-of-a-kind. I've been thinking of doing one more similar, but with blue detailing on black.
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
Old 11-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #21
Delkaetre

The leather one is rather lovely, even if it did give you awful blisters.
My DIY extends only as far as jewellery these days- mainly just velvet or lace chokers. I've stopped modding my jeans, since they've started to fall apart and I can't find cheap, comfy, pure black, plain jeans that fit well in very many places any more. why is a UK size 10 so bloody difficult to locate?
I'll get up a few pics of my chokers once I've got a decent camera and brought a few from home or got started on some new ones.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:33 AM   #22
insertwittyname

My sewing story. First time sewing anything ever was two days before halloween with my aunts on my kinky harem girl halloween costume. Auntie Shelly had to define baste. I basted. The thread fell out/broke/whatever. I then tried to sew tiny rings into fabric. It took one hour to sew two. -.- I have given up with handsewing. Is the sewing machine easier? However, I have all these clothing designs floating around my head I want to make so badly! I can't make them though! T.T
Old 11-05-2006, 12:46 AM   #23
BlackButterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by insertwittyname
I have given up with handsewing. Is the sewing machine easier? However, I have all these clothing designs floating around my head I want to make so badly! I can't make them though! T.T
It's faster sometimes, but you have to learn to control it first. The key is getting the needle to stitch at the right speed by learning exactly how much pressure to put on the pedal. Start with something simple like sewing quilt squares together or making pillows (one for your kitty!), or some really cheap and easy patterns. Once you get the stitch speed down (and learning what feet/needles/stitches to use on what fabrics), sewing will be SUCH a breeze, but you still will always need hand-sewing, because there are some things that a machine can't do as delicately as a human hand...

...also, get a "sewing bible". I recommend "Simplicity's Simply the Best Sewing Book", but only because that's the one I use.

c130
Old 11-05-2006, 12:48 AM   #24
insertwittyname

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackButterfly
It's faster sometimes, but you have to learn to control it first. The key is getting the needle to stitch at the right speed by learning exactly how much pressure to put on the pedal. Start with something simple like sewing quilt squares together or making pillows (one for your kitty!), or some really cheap and easy patterns. Once you get the stitch speed down (and learning what feet/needles/stitches to use on what fabrics), sewing will be SUCH a breeze, but you still will always need hand-sewing, because there are some things that a machine can't do as delicately as a human hand...

...also, get a "sewing bible". I recommend "Simplicity's Simply the Best Sewing Book", but only because that's the one I use.
thankee. i could feel the animosity rising from my aunt as she gave me that look that said, if you can't help, go sit over there.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:34 AM   #25
Cicero

Excellent outfits, BlackButterfly!

And yes, sewing machines make sewing SO much easier. I complete in two hours what would usually take me a week of finger-pricking labour, all thanks to my precious 40-year-old machine.

Besides sewing, I also used to do a lot of t-shirt painting using hand-cut stencils.

Here are some examples:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e/TheCure1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../Siouxsie1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...amsT-Shirt.jpg

Most of them look a bit stretched out and worn, especially the Rozz Williams one which I fear may soon have to retire.

I sort of gave up on stencilling once I realised how masochistic it was trying to cut out 4mm eyes using a stanley knife, and I won't even start on Robert Smith's hair...