Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
Emerald

Mental Health Issues

Anyone else dealing with mental health issues? And I am talking about real mental health issues, not "zOmG i HaVE iSHOos MoAR aTeNsHUN plEZ!!!111". I have a fairly severe Anxiety and Panic Disorder, Cyclical Endogenous Depression (fancy way of saying I have clinical depression which occurs in cycles), Adult Attention Deficit Disorder, Residual Borderline Personality Disorder and chronic Anorexia Nervosa (subtype restricting) which I have been in recovery for for the past 2 and half or so years. I've also has two Psychotic episodes (one related to the overuse of Cannabis, the other to my anxiety disorder), seeing green goblins dancing on the doorstep of my house was an interesting experience to say the least *lol* and have dealt with issues of self harm in the past. I'm not currently on any medications because I haven't had much like finding something that works without me suffering horrendous negative side effects and weird reactions.

Oh my lady and lord I sound like a walking stereotype for Goth *lol*

So anyway what's your diagnosis? and how do you deal with it? Perhaps we could make this a sort of support/vent/rant kind of thread
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
Miss Happy Cat

I was diagnosed with is disthymic disorder with a general anxiety disorder. There also seems to be a hint of avoidant personality disorder in there as well.

For those of you who don’t know about disthymia, it’s a low grade depression. I like to think of it as having the blahs. You’re at a constant low, but not low enough to really hinder your daily activities unless you’re having a particularly bad day.

I’ve been dealing with it for over ten years and I have been informed that I may end up living this way for the rest of my life. I have learned to deal with it in my own way despite everyone’s ranting about how I need to crawl out of my hole and just be happy. I have the feeling if I actually had a week where I was completely happy; I would go insane from not really knowing or remembering what true happiness is.
Miss Happy Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
mindless1

What's normal?

It's hard for me because right now I am having trouble concentrating. I don't have the diagnosis of attention deficit disorder but I'm on 35 mg of concerta.
I'm suddenly really getting the abilities back of being able to focus, but it seems like each evening at around the same time, right as the medicine is wearing off I have this sudden urge to scream. I can't walk straight. I start to feel a little weird. I can't slow down. I start to feel nervous about everything and can't sit still. I don't know what this is. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? My guess is that its withdrawel.

I haven't been taking concerta for the past two days but now my creative drive is down. What the hell do I do?> If I can't write, can't concentrate, I just can't do anything...I just sit around doing nothing. But I mean, I want to learn. I just am so zoned out sometimes. I'm torn between Yes, take the concerta (a long-acting ritalin) but deal with this anxiety, or, don't take it. Possibly I should learn to focus without the ritalin? I also have decided maybe I'll take the ritalin with something else that cuts the edge off of it. Basically, without it I am so blank I can't conjure up anything in my little pathetic brain.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Well for me I've always had Asperger's autism, as well as sleeping problems which may or may not fall under the catagory of insomnia, and the oh so unfortunatly common problem of depression. Over the past few months I've been going through depersonalization as well as a few other minor disorders.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Emerald

Mindless: I read in another thread that you also suffer from Schizophrenia. If this is true then you should not be on Methylphenidate due to the risks of it triggering a psychotic episode. Are you actually being prescribed this medication or are you getting it illegally and self medicating? Lack of concentration can be an issue with Schizophrenia but stimulant medications aren't the answer. Have you tried one of the newer atypical anti psychotics such as Olanzapine or Seroquel? they can be quiet effective in controlling symptoms without all the negative side effects of the older drugs (or at least serious side effects such as tardive dyskensia and some of the extra pyramidal effects are rare). You should really discuss this with a Psychiatrist and make sure you are getting the right treatment.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder NOS (Not Otherwise Specified.) I was diagnosed last year and was put on three different medications for it.

I also think I might suffer from Depersonalization Disorder.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
demonfairy

Anorexia is my particular poison.I would say that I have been in remission for the last 13 years,but for some reason it's starting to rear it's head again.I get hungry but when I look at the food I just can't eat it.Also that little voice is creeping back into my thoughts,the one that tells you "if you don't eat that you can lose half a kilo".People at work are starting to notice my clothes are getting loose,and keep asking me if I've lost weight.I don't want to go there (anorexia) again,so I keep trying to eat
demonfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Graveyard.Crow

I hear voices. That would be my big issue, and I've been diagnosed with depersonalization but I think that's a bullshit disorder.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #9
Minyaliel

I was once diagnosed with depression, but after experiencing very severe flashbacks and so- called pseudo- seizures (hate that term) during the last few months, as well as several other symptoms, I think I need to see my doc about possibly having ptsd after a huge trauma I experienced in the past. I mean, ending up like a trembling, crying mess in a corner even unable to put myself into bed and have my mother man- handle me onto my brother's bed and put a pillow under my head for me and a blanket over me to keep me warm just is not normal.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #10
BLEED REBELION!!!

MY mom doesn’t believe in western medicine, so she would never put me on pills or anything like that. I don’t usually got to the doctors/hospital etc so no ones really ever had the chance to diagnose me with anything and im glad. I hate pills and I would never take them.
From my own diagnoses I would say I probably have a mild case of manic depression, but that may not be the correct term for it. I may just be a depressed person who happens to be somewhat spazy. I think I can pretty much control my depression and Im fine with it I can deal with being sad, its bound to get better eventually (I hope) I just don’t wan to be medicated. I also have anger issues which probably stem from the same source as my depression..
I’ve cut myself, starting when I was 14 and it only happens maybe ever 6 months and I have not cut in maybe 4 months. Usually something really bad will happen or all the little things build up and it sets me off. I don’t do it often but when I do I do it allot. Im not really suicidal I wouldn’t kill myself ( I don’t even think Im really a “cutter”) its more like a relief like letting something go that I cant get rid of any other way. Its like someone is hurting you and you cant do anything about you cant stop what’s happening or control anything around you. I get really angry and really sad and I just want to hit someone I want to just scream and stab and go fucking crazy but I cant do anything to these other ppl or to the world around me so I just cut myself and its almost like crying only it relieves me more it makes the anger go away. I’ve been trying to come up with other ways of dealing with the crap. Because while I think it should be legal to cut your self , its not currently legal and I don’t want to deal with the trouble other ppl would make over it. And my friends really don’t like it I told them I would stop and I don’t intend on doing it again.

Does that make any sense? I tried to explain it to my friend and he didn’t really get it.

" I love 4play! Its the best thing I've ever done"
- My Boyfriend
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:16 PM   #11
mindless1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald
Mindless: I read in another thread that you also suffer from Schizophrenia. If this is true then you should not be on Methylphenidate due to the risks of it triggering a psychotic episode. Are you actually being prescribed this medication or are you getting it illegally and self medicating? Lack of concentration can be an issue with Schizophrenia but stimulant medications aren't the answer. Have you tried one of the newer atypical anti psychotics such as Olanzapine or Seroquel? they can be quiet effective in controlling symptoms without all the negative side effects of the older drugs (or at least serious side effects such as tardive dyskensia and some of the extra pyramidal effects are rare). You should really discuss this with a Psychiatrist and make sure you are getting the right treatment.

Actually, My psychiatrist prescribed it to me.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #12
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Seroquel has a nice side affect of gaining weight so be careful, but I am also on that and it works. So I would suggest talking to your psychiatrist about it.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #13
mindless1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying_Crimson_Tears
Seroquel has a nice side affect of gaining weight so be careful, but I am also on that and it works. So I would suggest talking to your psychiatrist about it.

I've been on seroquel. believe me, I've talked to my doc. I could talk forever to him about what's going on but he wouldn't understand a word. He doesn't seem to know where I'm coming from. I think about how much worse I would have been if he was my original doctor. I'm going to switch back to a better one, or hopefully!
Old 07-09-2007, 03:21 AM   #14
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying_Crimson_Tears
Seroquel has been the only thing I have ever tried that worked for me with my anxiety. I loved that medication, except I started to develop the first signs of Tardive Dyskensia and binged almost non stop on it gaining around 20 kilos. The weight gain was too much too fast for me and it sent me into a tailspin of anxiety which resulted in a psychotic break and prompted a relapse of Anorexia after 2 and half years or so of being in recovery. One year later I am only just pulling myself back out of the relapse.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:10 AM   #15
scarwall

Im just wondering, what is the experience to go to a psychiatrist like?? i have been told to go to psychiatrist a couple of times by my professors but every time i chicken out before the appointment

i had a friend who was on medication from something to do with depression and days after he stopped taking them he started freaking out every time we ask him "what do you want to eat?", he scared me soo much i never got the courage to go talk to a psychiatrist in fear he will pump me with pills..., i beat up a student with a chair in front of all the students in a lecturer room and i cant even remember doing that.

im just wondering how it really goes cause im really worried that i might end up hurting somebody or getting myself hurt.
scarwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:12 AM   #16
Emerald

Scarwall - It sounds as if your friend stopped his medication too quickly. You can't just jump off most psychiatric meds because you will get withdrawal symptoms which can include anxiety and paranoia. He should have been weaned off of the meds gradually under medical supervision. No personally I don't believe in psychiatric medication unless there is a very good reason for them, I would prefer to explore naturopathic and complementary medicine and healing techniques first. However if you are at the point where you are having blackouts, commiting violence against others and scared of hurting yourself or other people then I think you owe it to yourself and everyone else to seek psychiatric help and consider some form of medication. As for seeing a psychiatrist...the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist is that only a psychiatrist can prescribe medication but a psychologist (at least in my experience) tends to be better with talk therapy, it depends on what you are looking for and I know people who combine the two, going to a psychiatrist for medication and a counselor for the actual therapy. I can only describe the Australian experience of seeing a psychiatrist but the first port of call is your local Family Doctor or General Practioner, they will take a history of your symptoms and perhaps order some tests to be run to make sure there is no physical problem (such as over active thyroid or a tumor) causing the symptoms, at the same time he will probably right a referall for you to see a psychiartist and once you have picked who you want to see then he would send all relative medical history and test to them. The first session with a psychiatrist is usually more history taking, onset of symptoms, how they effect your life, what was you childhood like, have you ever had symptoms like this before and so on. Depending on your test results as well as the results of the interviews about your medical and psychological history a diagnosis can then hopefully be made and effective treatment started
Old 07-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #17
Aaroneet

I've never actually sought aid over this because I don't think that it's a tremendous interference in my life, but ever since I became nervous about starting High School nearly two years ago, I've seemingly come down with OCD. I have to count a specific number of seconds every time I wash my hands, and I feel as though something unfortunate will happen to me if I don't follow the compulsions, the routine, so to speak. But since it doesn't affect everything I do, and I really dread taking medication, I would rather live with excessive hand-washing, counting a certain number of seconds before I go to sleep at night, etc. When I was little, I was sickly; if I otherwise live a normal life without more medication I already take for a physical ailment, I would avoid it as much as possible.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:17 PM   #18
Alaizabel Cray

I have Bi-Polar Disorder 2, which is a lot like Bi-Polar 1, except I don't get the manic swings nearly as bad. A "manic" swing for me, is starting every project I can get my hands on and being so happy that I get a few odd looks, nothing major. However, I get the depression swings pretty badly. I'll stop eating, sleep constantly (or not at all, it varies a bit from swing to swing), lose my concentration, and I'm just overcome by this feeling of helplessness, that no matter what happens, no matter how hard I try to change, or how loudly I scream, nothing will ever be ok for me and no one will even care. That would usually last for about 2 weeks before I'd come out of it and start feeling like my normal self again. I've been on Prozac to treat those episodes of depression for about two years now, but I've recently started to feel feel that it's not working as well as it could. I've already maxed out the dosage for Prozac as an anti-depressant though, so now I'm on 150 mg of Effexor while weaning off of the Prozac. I'm also on 900 mg of Lithium to kill the little tiny manic blips and also to prevent SSRI-Induced Mania, which I was definitely getting from the Prozac. I also have a slight generalized anxiety disorder, but I've pretty recently managed to get that under control (no panic attacks for almost a year now!), and as long as I keep some Xanax on me for emergencies, I can go into social situations and actually interact with complete strangers. I remember a time when it was hard just to talk nearby people I didn't know, and now I'm talking to them.

I'm not "all better" yet, and I know that. I've got a way to go still before we can call me "under control". But you know, I lived with Disthymia for nearly 10 years before it developed into something my doctors saw as an issue, so just being as happy as I am is insanely great. Like Aaroneet, I was quite the sickly child (double ear infections, chronic pneumonia, always got the flu not just once, but twice per season, the like. Oh, and the fun part, a nasty kidney infection that I thankfully don't remember much of; the fever took care of those memories for me.) And just knowing that not only is that behind me, but now I'm on my way to functioning properly as well..... wow.

'Course, I do often feel like it's the worst possible curse just to have to deal with this, regardless of if it's treatable or not. But at the moment... it's ok. Everyone has problems, right? I'm just glad that, so far, all of mine seem treatable.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #19
Lucretia_my_Reflection

I have severe ptsd [post traumatic stress disorder] and mild depression and mild OCD [hand washing and cleaning]. I was on evil Zoloft for about 2 months then i was put on mirtazon for about 6 months and then i over dosed on that, in an attempt to take my own life it didn't work i was on suicide watch for 4 days of my week's hospital stay.
Lucretia_my_Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:55 PM   #20
Tha Duckman

I'm on Wellbutrin. YAY!!!

And I have ADD.

Could you have guessed?
Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:16 PM   #21
Saddiction

I've been on Fluvoximine, Seroquel, Risperidone, Epival, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Topomax, Celexa, Paxil, Nozinan, Clonazepam, Ativan, and Trazadone. Not all at once, of course, but over a 7 year span. It was trial and error. The best combination that helped with my bi-polar was the Topomax/Celexa/Epival combination, but like many others the effects wear off and the dose needs to be increased. I got to the point where I could no longer function at work.

I no longer take medication. I've set myself up in a positive environtment, which helps immensly. I still get ups and downs, though not as much as I used to.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:19 PM   #22
Alaizabel Cray

Well, Lucretia, we're glad you're still alive. I have a friend who's attempted suicide twice, spending a short amount of time in rehab after the second attempt. So based on what I went through when I found out what had happened with her, I'm sure your friends and loved ones are very glad to still have you. And then there's me, who doesn't really know you, but is always glad to hear a survival story.

Alflac duckie dude - ADD? Really? What a shock! xP
Old 07-09-2007, 10:23 PM   #23
DeathChii

I have anxiety, and I've also gone through that phycotic episode related to cannabis and anxiety. Actually I am going through it right now ='[
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #24
biohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Duckman
I'm on Wellbutrin. YAY!!!

And I have ADD.

Could you have guessed?
That would explain your constant posts during the past week, since you returned. It would also explain your energy when you post, and where all of those ideas come from.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:07 PM   #25
Rae Ven Rae

Clinical depression, paranoia, suicidal tendancies (two attempts in my past)...
Rae Ven Rae is offline   Reply With Quote