Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 06-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #101
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMeDeadly View Post
What do you want me to say, Versus?

Thank you so much for joining the military to support yourself, and then fighting a war I don't support while spending my tax money to support you. Thank you so much for making poor life decisions and then expecting everybody else to make up for it. Thank you for joining the military and then crying about all the terrible things they made you do.

I know I have no idea the horrors you must have seen but you need to understand that I nor anybody else forced you to join. You knew the risks involved, and you knew that we were in war time.

So, what, you're mad because I don't think you deserve any more than a respectful nod from me? The people who you have directly influenced owe you resepct. The people you have helped keep safe overseas owe you something. I don't owe you anything. I respect you for being far more brave than myself, but beyond that, I don't owe you shit.
I didn't ask you for shit.

Quote:
You did.
Because I am a victim.

Quote:
All I said is that I don't have to shower you with praise and glory because of your choices that don't affect me in the slightest.
Seriously. I didn't ask you for shit. I'd actually get mad if you tried to shower me with praise and glory. See this thread for proof.My choices didn't effect you, but your choices effect me every day.

Quote:
I mentioned the tax dollars thing as a small aside, while 'thanking' Versus,
Bullshit. That entire beginning statement was dripping with sarcasm and insincerity, and now you're trying to back pedal like it was genuine?

Quote:
and now you're trying to make it out like I've been bitching about it the entire time. You're trying to divert attention away from the whole argument by pointing out that one, tiny little thing.
Oh. So you dismissing our experience and making yourself out to be the victim in this is a pet issue, huh? How rude of us. Nobody would be outraged by that at all!

Quote:
No, I don't like the fact that my tax dollars are being used to fund this war. I'm not taking that back. I'm saying that is just a single piece of corn on the shit that is this argument, and you're blowing it out of the water.
It's small and insignificant to you, but for you to bring it up is like a slap in the fucking face to us. We're completely right to be pissed.

Quote:
My whole point was that taxes isn't that big of a deal.
It is a big deal.

Quote:
I've also admitted, several times actually, that I could never handle war and that I don't know what it's like out there.
I'll bold every instance where you render that statement insincere and false with contradictions up to thisa point.

Quote:
Thank you so much for joining the military to support yourself

Thank you so much for making poor life decisions

and then expecting everybody else to make up for it.

I nor anybody else forced you to join.

You knew the risks involved, and you knew that we were in war time.

So, what, you're mad because I don't think you deserve any more than a respectful nod from me?

The people who you have directly influenced owe you resepct.

The people you have helped keep safe overseas owe you something.

Fixed that for ya, buddy.

I SAW SOME SHIT" card.

by pointing out that one, tiny little thing.

I'm saying that is just a single piece of corn on the shit that is this argument
Quote:
You talk about poor and colored people being forced to join the military? I've lived my entire life in Elizabethton, Tennessee. Look it up. We have a dinky little population, and very few businesses. My family has no money, and I spent a shit load of my life in government houses because the best job my mom could find was mcdonalds. I managed to not join the military.
Yes. Because being poor for you is exactly the same as being a person of color or being poor for other people.

Quote:
But I'm not going to get in to that with you. You are convinced that I am the bad guy, and that I owe you and Versus something. You claim I'm putting words in his mouth, but you're putting words in mine.
You don't owe us shit but the time it takes you to listen to us and understand how fucking wrong you are.

Quote:
Don't talk to me like I'm some priviledged kid who's parents left them a million dollar trust fund.
Then stop acting like one.

It was your choice to join the military. No matter how you spin it, that was your choice. Don't blame anybody for it.

Don't fucking tell us how to respond to something you have no fucking understanding of.

Quote:
Stop saying that I think it's a travesty that I have to pay taxes to fund your war. I think that the war shouldn't even be happening. When I said what I said, I was reminding Versus of the fact that I don't owe him shit but I'm giving it to him any way.
You're not giving me anything but a crash course in anger management.

Quote:
You fucking people are only a step below entitled rich kids, the only difference being you had to do and witness horrible things, instead of being given everything. The thing is, nobody owes either groups anything at all.
This is my favorite.
Quote:
By the way, before you even start, no, I don't think all veterans are pieces of shit, just the ones who come back who cause huge scenes screaming at coffee shop waitresses who fucked your order up because you FOUGHT FOR THEIR FREEDOM! The ones I despise are the ones who rub it in everybody's faces that they went to war, and expect super special treatment and rolling out the red fucking carpet every time they walk down the street.
Straw man, much? Thanks for the stereotype, brother.

Quote:
Get over yourselves. The veterans who get my respect, who make me proud to know that they are representing us in other countries, are the ones who treat non-military people with a hint of fucking decency.
So, I want to ask everybody who reads this to be honest: Have you ever seen me discriminate somebody because they were never in the military?

Quote:
So, cease fire?
Fuck you. I wish I could just walk away from oppression when it makes me angry still pretend that I'm not privileged for it.

By the way, the gun argument is still in your court from page 3. You're free to respond to it.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #102
ape descendant

Quote:
Yeah, I probably should have. Oh well.

Is it bad though that I'm kinda proud that two people have my quote as a signature now? I've always wanted that kind of recognition here. Feels good, man.
Its never too early to be reasonable.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #103
AshleyO

Yo, KissMeDeadly.

I'll go easy on you. I'll just accept an apology for your dickitude. I'm not too sure about Versus though. You may have just crossed the Rubicon on that one.

I'm not taking what's in my sig out for quite a while though.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:10 AM   #104
Versus

KMD's lack of response clearly indicates that he is at his local wounded warrior project volunteering all of his time.

All of his time.

See what I did there?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #105
Grausamkeit

By the way, before you even start, no, I don't think all veterans are pieces of shit, just the ones who come back who cause huge scenes screaming at coffee shop waitresses who fucked your order up because you FOUGHT FOR THEIR FREEDOM! The ones I despise are the ones who rub it in everybody's faces that they went to war, and expect super special treatment and rolling out the red fucking carpet every time they walk down the street.

For the record, I've never had a veteran scream at me or be rude in all the time I worked(minus the few years I was a stay at home mom). I've seen people with horrible burn scars, arms blown off, legs blown off and bullet wounds in the back of their skulls that affect their memory still. Not once have I ever been screamed at or had someone yell about wanting special treatment because they were veterans. Just sayin'.

Also, Tennessee is the 'deep south'?

Sorry, I never get to respond to this shit when it's active because of work and school.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #106
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05 View Post
Anyone else notice that Gun free zones are a magnet for spree shooters?
You could have fooled me.

In Ireland we had like 12 gun deaths last year and in the UK they had like 40.

So thats two countries with a combine total of about 70 MILLION people and a total number of gun deaths around 50 TOTAL.

NYC alone has what? Over 12,000 a YEAR? America has close to 60,000 a year if you don't include suicide and accidents (then the number jumps to about 100,000).

I would argue spree shooters are not happening in places where guns are more strictly monitored.

In Ireland and the UK guns are not illegal as many think. You can join a gun club and then legally buy weapons, just not handguns. You have to fill out lots of forms and get permission from the government, in a manner similar to what people in America do for a concealed weapons permit. They also come by your home once a year to check on your gun and see your shooting log which tracks the ammo you purchase (you by law must keep a log of all rounds spent).

Some say that this system is an attack on the rights of gun owners, and that once they get a list of gun owner names it's a short step to taking them away...

...yet the Supreme Court just ruled that Americans must carry papers with them at all times else they may be stopped by the police and asked for their 'papers please', and the same crowd complaining about stricter gun laws have no problem with this.

I'm glad to say I live in a country with sensible gun laws where the right people have guns, hunters can still hunt, and I don't have to worry about being stopped and arrested for not having my 'papers' with me.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #107
Versus

And you could back that argument up with any kind of example of successful models for gun laws like the UK and Ireland's, and it still wouldn't destroy this stupid sense of entitlement that Americans have to own a gun for nothing more then shits and giggles.

It's pretty simple, really. If somebody is against stricter gun laws, then they don't give a rat's ass about the gun-related violence in this country and selfishly put their wants in higher priority then people's safety.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #108
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
And you could back that argument up with any kind of example of successful models for gun laws like the UK and Ireland's, and it still wouldn't destroy this stupid sense of entitlement that Americans have to own a gun for nothing more then shits and giggles.

It's pretty simple, really. If somebody is against stricter gun laws, then they don't give a rat's ass about the gun-related violence in this country and selfishly put their wants in higher priority then people's safety.
I couldn't have said it better.

Another thing I like to point out is Waco and Ruby Ridge. Both horrible atrocities committed by the US government, but the point was very clear. You can own a gun, but if it gets to the point the government thinks you may be taking the founders intentions to heart and are attempting to use guns against the government, then they will send in tanks and the military to take away your guns.

People think because they own a gun they are somehow 'safe' from the government as it somehow magically keeps them in check.

You of all people can tell us, how many armed insurgents have you run into over there? How well did their guns work for them when they went up against the US military.

To sum up, you can own as many guns as you want, but you still won't be able to run a successful campaign against a well financed military. So the argument people make about the second amendment and defending freedom is nothing more than a fools dream.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #109
x-deviant-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
You could have fooled me.

In Ireland we had like 12 gun deaths last year and in the UK they had like 40.

So thats two countries with a combine total of about 70 MILLION people and a total number of gun deaths around 50 TOTAL.

NYC alone has what? Over 12,000 a YEAR? America has close to 60,000 a year if you don't include suicide and accidents (then the number jumps to about 100,000).
Completely, utterly false, to an exaggeratedly ignorant degree.

12,000 gun murders a year equals over 30 gun murders per day. In one city? If that were true there'd be bodies piling up on the streets.

In 2010 there were only 517 fireams related deaths in the ENTIRE STATE of NY.

12,996 Murders NATIONWIDE, with approximately 65% of those being from firearms (8,775). That's down by approximately 7% from 2009, and crime is on a continuous downslide nationwide, (largely credited to the record-setting increase in gun sales since 2008).

Source: http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/crimestats

There are an estimated 330 MILLION people in the U.S., making the total murders in 2010 less than a fraction of 1%, and less than that for gun murders.

Compare that to the UK where gun-related crimes have increased by 89% in the last 10 years, with 28 gun crimes committed per day, and then compare the populations of the UK and the US, and see which country's citizens are safer.

source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...every-day.html

source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...89-decade.html
x-deviant-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #110
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-deviant-x View Post
(largely credited to the record-setting increase in gun sales since 2008).
Wow that's stupid
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #111
x-deviant-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Wow that's stupid

Quote:
"GUN SALES AT RECORD LEVELS ACCORDING TO FBI BACKGROUND CHECKS

December holiday shoppers were not just interested in buying the hottest electronics and toys -- they also were purchasing record numbers of guns, according to the latest FBI figures on background checks required to buy firearms.

With a few days left in December, the FBI reports the number of background checks has already topped the previous one-month record -- set only in November -- of 1,534,414 inquiries by gun dealers to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System also known as NICS. Almost half a million checks were done in just the last six days before Christmas."

Source: http://articles.cnn.com/2011-12-27/u...ports?_s=PM:US

(note: 1.5 million inquiries do not necessarily mean 1.5 million actual gun sales. Many people buy multiple guns at a time, while others will be turned down, and some states have mandatory waiting periods.)
Quote:
"FBI STATS: GUN SALES UP, VIOLENT CRIME DOWN

Preliminary crime statistics for 2011 released today by the FBI show a 4 percent decrease in violent crime–a continuation of a long-term downward trend nationwide.

The report highlights that all four violent crime categories–murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible ****, robbery and aggravated assault–declined in the country’s four major geographical regions and in all city population groups.

The report also noted that violent crime decreased both in metropolitan and nonmetropolitan counties.

The continuing decrease in violent crime comes at a time when firearms ownership has increased across America, a fact that utterly contradicts the mantra of anti-gun groups that that more guns equals more crime. “Every gun owner should be armed with this information,” said NSSF President and CEO Steve Sanetti.

According to the FBI’s Preliminary Annual Uniform Crime Report released today, the nation experienced a 4.0 percent decrease in the number of violent crimes and a 0.8 percent decline in the number of property crimes in 2011 when compared with data from 2010. The report is based on information the FBI gathered from 14,009 law enforcement agencies that submitted six to 12 comparable months of data for both 2010 and 2011."

Source: http://www.opposingviews.com/i/socie...ime-down-again
Source: http://www.atf.gov/statistics/

This site estimates that there are approx. 88.8 civilian gun owners per 100 people in the US and gives dozens of statistics for numerous countries.

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states
Old 06-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #112
Alan

How do I defeat your entire argument in five words or less?

Oh, I know.

*Ahem*

Correlation does not imply causation
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #113
Saya

I thought deviant ragequit?

Anyway Alan, this is the guy who thinks reading a lot of books is equivalent to a university degree.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #114
x-deviant-x

Correlation does not necessarily mean causation, correct. Just call it irony then.

Still, I'd rather have the means to defend myself than sit around waiting for a government drone to do it for me, who may or may not show up on time, if at all, and the 2nd amendment grants me that right.

"Gun free zones" are unconstitutional. That means illegal, and the US Supreme Court has upheld that point TWICE in the last few years, just in case anyone wasn't clear on the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I thought deviant ragequit?

Anyway Alan, this is the guy who thinks reading a lot of books is equivalent to a university degree.
I never actually said that, but I guess that would depend a lot on the "university" the degree is from. Considering there are no uniform rules, laws or criteria a school must meet in order to call itself a university today, the whole issue is speculative at best.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #115
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-deviant-x View Post
Correlation does not necessarily mean causation, correct. Just call it irony then.

Still, I'd rather have the means to defend myself than sit around waiting for a government drone to do it for me, who may or may not show up on time, if at all, and the 2nd amendment grants me that right.

"Gun free zones" are unconstitutional. That means illegal, and the US Supreme Court has upheld that point TWICE in the last few years, just in case anyone wasn't clear on the issue.

I never actually said that, but I guess that would depend a lot on the "university" the degree is from. Considering there are no uniform rules, laws or criteria a school must meet in order to call itself a university today, the whole issue is speculative at best.
You know universities are accredited, right, and if you don't go to an accredited school that degree or diploma is pretty much useless?

Also, good luck shooting drones down with your handgun!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #116
Versus

Sternn, did you just say that US operations were successful? The sky must be falling.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #117
KissMeDeadly

KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #118
Saya

Its always precious when someone who ran away crying a while ago comes back to allege we're the ones still butthurt. And we got two in one day!
Old 06-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #119
Versus

But I AM butthurt. He was mean to me even though I'M A GOD DAMN VETERAN. It's not supposed to happen. D:

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #120
CptSternn

Quote:
Sternn, did you just say that US operations were successful? The sky must be falling.
Military operations of course. With that amount of funding how could they fail?

Of course that has nothing to do with the long term peace nor the 'hearts and minds' if you will. That's a whole different story sure.

In a military conflict spending on weapons and training will win battles, but you can still easily lose the war. Just like one gun is no good against one hundred guns, one hundred guns are no good against one idea.

But that's a story for a different thread.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #121
KissMeDeadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Its always precious when someone who ran away crying a while ago comes back to allege we're the ones still butthurt. And we got two in one day!

Oh yes, I sat in a corner and sobbed for days. All I could think was "People said mean things to me on the INTERNET and then tried to PROVE ME WRONG

Woe is me. My entire life was shattered in just a few short days.

pffff
Old 06-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #122
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
Military operations of course. With that amount of funding how could they fail?

Of course that has nothing to do with the long term peace nor the 'hearts and minds' if you will. That's a whole different story sure.

In a military conflict spending on weapons and training will win battles, but you can still easily lose the war. Just like one gun is no good against one hundred guns, one hundred guns are no good against one idea.

But that's a story for a different thread.
Don't worry about it, I just thought the way it sounded was funny.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #123
Versus

Quote:
Oh yes, I sat in a corner and sobbed for days. All I could think was "People said mean things to me on the INTERNET and then tried to PROVE ME WRONG

Woe is me. My entire life was shattered in just a few short days.

pffff
So what makes you think that we're butthurt? You're not exactly the person who stayed to hash it out, so I'm inclined to agree with Saya.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #124
KissMeDeadly

Quote:
So what makes you think that we're butthurt? You're not exactly the person who stayed to hash it out, so I'm inclined to agree with Saya.
Maybe it's because I decide to come back to this fail ass thread and find you've made two huge ass posts outlining everything that offends you, like I should be sorry about it.

That's probably why I think you're butthurt.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #125
KissMeDeadly