Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 11-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Massaqre

Insane Asylum patients in History?

I'm not positive that this is the correct forrum to post this in but I figured since it was entitled "general" and I saw nothing dedicated to "homework" it would be okay. It was either here or Literature... anyhow if I'm wrong, I appologize.

I'm attempting to write a brief biography of an influential or interesting person in the 1860-1920 time period. I would love to make it about some "creepy" asylum person or someone notoriously "dark". Someone else is doing H. H. Holmes but someone like him would be brilliant as well. If I can't come up with anything else then I'll do Karl Marx but I'd rather find someone else. Any suggestions???
Massaqre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
FistsofFury

-Amedeo Modigliani
-Antonin Artaud
-Hong Xiuquan
FistsofFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
Miss Absynthe

My suggestion is that instead of perpetuating the idea that mental illness is something that's "creepy", you look at the conditions that the human beings kept in asylums during this time period had to suffer.

Because that's where you see the actual darkness of humanity.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
CuckooTuli

If you would specifically like to write about mental illness, and asylums as the dark corners of society, I'd suggest Charcot's patient Augustine - she was a 15 year old and one of his most famous 'hysterics'. She had a pretty tragic back-story too - servitude, r.ape and eventual mental illness. Charcot was intrigued by her and effectively made her the star of his studies on hysteria (which later went on to influence Freud, and compared to whom, Freud, that locus of feminist deconstruction, was MASSIVELY progressive on the female point of view). Her objectification by Charcot can be seen today in the photographs he took of her while she was having her 'episodes', which were often accompanied by convulsions. She escaped after a few years under his care, and no one really knows what became of her.

Also, what Miss Absynthe said. Old-school treatment of mental illness is what's truly creepy here...
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
Timeless Rebellion

Justified, spam-fighting bump.
Forget me not, and keep my memory.
Timeless Rebellion is offline   Reply With Quote