Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
tessla-jane

Opinions?

Stephen King, what is your opinon on him, his writing style and his storylines? Just curious. I like his old stuff. The latest book of his that I happened to pursue was highly disappointing.
tessla-jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
FistsofFury

The first book I read by his was 'On Writing' and it helped me a great deal. So much I wrote out quotes from the book, cut them out and pinned them to my corkboard at my desk! I got halfway through the Stand and I'll get back to it I swear. I think he is an amazing writer and like any writer that has written so much during their career I am baffled at the level of productivity.
FistsofFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Cayora

I find Stephen King eminently readable, which is a lot more than I can say for some authors. However, his philosophy that horror is about identifying and expelling the outsider is deeply repugnant to me. Furthermore, I have never found him frightening and his attempts to do huge, Lovecraftian villains are laughable. But, he writes relationships really well. And a few of his books give a good sinking feeling of things being horrible and getting worse. I am thinking of The Long Walk and Under the Dome in particular. They also pretty much span the length of his career.

So I guess you could say I have mixed feelings about Stephen King.
Cayora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:42 AM   #4
Acharis

I've already recommended 'Full Dark No Stars' to someone else, but it is genuinely kind of horrifying, less narm than in 'IT' or other over the top stories. He can be a bit pulp fiction sometimes but a really creative writer with enjoyable stories.

Give 'Needful things' a try, and I think the book of collected stories I read was called Nightmares and Dreamscapes - one in there was called 'Dolan's Cadillac'.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
Acharis

Oh, and I might mention - it's quite surprising that I didn't hate some stories featuring '****/revenge' and 'woman gets stuffed into refrigerator/revenge'. Normally things like that make me angry because they're often cheap plots by bad/lazy writers.

But I did find one revenge ingenious and the other stories were frighteningly relatable. You can see some thought went into it rather than simply for shock.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
tessla-jane

I loved Full Dark, No Stars and Just after Sunset. Desperation was good too. I'd reccomend them
Old 10-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
Drew Keaton

I love his older material, but the new stuff I just pass on. The last thing I read was Insomnia and it was a cure for it. I've moved on to other Gothic masters of late. Robert Dunbar, Andrew Wolter, B.E. Scully and Greg Gifune are doing far better than King. Their work is challenging, creepy, dark and so powerful... something King seems to have lost.
Drew Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Cayora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Keaton View Post
I love his older material, but the new stuff I just pass on. The last thing I read was Insomnia and it was a cure for it. I've moved on to other Gothic masters of late. Robert Dunbar, Andrew Wolter, B.E. Scully and Greg Gifune are doing far better than King. Their work is challenging, creepy, dark and so powerful... something King seems to have lost.

I am disappointed in myself. I have not heard of any of these writers. I shall have to look for them. Thank you for mentioning them!
Cayora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
tessla-jane

I definitely have new authors to look up.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
Saya

Had a good discussion about King today. I don't actually like a whooooole lot of his old stuff, I mean The Shining still scares the everloving shit out of me but I can't stand IT or some of his short stores (CHATTERY TEETH WTF), and I think he might have used to be homophobic (Sneakers and IT) and racist (Thinner and if he didn't create the Magical Negro trope, he certainly is a text book case).

I really liked Everything's Eventual and a newer book I liked was Duma Key. I hate it when his monsters make no sense or aren't explained, but Duma Key was otherwise good enough for me to be okay with it.

I was reading Dreamcatcher a little while ago (had to stop due to school) and I feel like its almost making up for IT, having the same heartwarming childhood flashbacks but more hilarious monsters, the ass weasels.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
Despanan

Fuck Stephen King.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
BourbonBoy

I think he's worse than hit or miss. I've only enjoyed a few of his stories, but over all I can't stand most of his writing and seems like nothing more than time killers.
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
tessla-jane

I enjoy Stephen King parodies more this his original work sometimes. I'm not sure, but I think that = fail.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #14
shadowynne

Holy crap, I havnt thought about king in ages. As the last time i read any king was probably getting on to 20+ years ago. I liked him when i was a teen and have always considered him a "fun" writer. The man has skill and can certainly spin an entertaining yarn. I think he makes a good jumping of point to bigger and better things.
shadowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:05 AM   #15
Miss Absynthe

I was reading Under The Dome, and enjoying it but I put it down whhen I was moving house and really have no motivation to pick it up again.

I've read most of his work because my dad reads him, and it means that I have something other than the crime and the justice system to talk with him about (my dad is a cop, so the discussions we get into with regards to that can be quite intense).. the only book of his that truly disturbed me was the one that started with the woman cuffed to the bed, her lover had died and there were wolves scratching around the cabin - I put that shit down straight away.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:27 AM   #16
pothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessla-jane View Post
Stephen King, what is your opinon on him, his writing style and his storylines? Just curious. I like his old stuff. The latest book of his that I happened to pursue was highly disappointing.
I use to have a lot of his books, the poorest written book I think he ever had was kujo , a very bad wrote book, but I think stephen king is possessed
pothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #17
tessla-jane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
I was reading Under The Dome, and enjoying it but I put it down whhen I was moving house and really have no motivation to pick it up again.

I've read most of his work because my dad reads him, and it means that I have something other than the crime and the justice system to talk with him about (my dad is a cop, so the discussions we get into with regards to that can be quite intense).. the only book of his that truly disturbed me was the one that started with the woman cuffed to the bed, her lover had died and there were wolves scratching around the cabin - I put that shit down straight away.
Geralds Game?