Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 03-24-2005, 12:07 PM   #751
Granny-like_the_apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeapotScar
I cried during this movie, and I *s8ill* love it.
Really? You s8ill loved it? HA-ha, you have a soul!

Don't let mobile phone conversations lead to premature sex and pregnancy.
Granny-like_the_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:07 PM   #752
Loy

Did I say De La Iglesia? Holy fuck, I'm losing my edge. Guillermo Del Toro directed those films (along with the fucking awesome "Chronos", which is, really, the best vampire film ever made....really, I'm not shitting you). Alex De La Iglesia (yes, I am a fan of his, too) did "Perdita Durango" and "Day Of The Beast" (get both of these on a PAL disc if you can. The American cuts are really weak)....and speaking of De La Iglesia, "800 Bullets" finally came out in America! Great little homage to Spaghetti Westerns, and those that made them.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:01 PM   #753
WolfMoon

This afternoon I watched Watership Down for the first time.

It's quite dark for a 'kid's show'.Lilith spent most of the movie in her room playing with her toys or running around rather than watching it.

The only other thing I have to say about the movie is this;It's an awful lot of work for some tail!

:shock:
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:16 AM   #754
Jane13

When we were kids, Watership Down was my friend Kim's favorite movie... I've never seen it, oddly enough.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 01:03 AM   #755
pitseleh

Saw the Vietnam war documentary Hearts and Minds from 1974. On remastered DVD from The Criterion Collection, who always release good movies.

Brutal and graphic, and with lots of interviews with people involved on all sides and levels, it offered a rare glimpse into the psyche of both battle-scarred veterans and callous politicians. A film not easily forgotten.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:23 AM   #756
Deadhymn

went to see Robots last night. A good kids movie with some imbedded adult humor. Not that enjoyable really, and as for the digital animation....ive seen better. Oh, and Robin Williams fucking sucks.
Deadhymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 01:40 PM   #757
Loy

"Watership Down" a kids show? Methinks not. Just because it's a cartoon don't make it family fare.

(Yeah, my mom made that mistake when I was about 5 or 6 with this film. And also a few months afterwards with "The Plague Dogs")
Old 03-29-2005, 01:53 PM   #758
Deadhymn

that reminds me....anyone here seen the Animal Farm animated film from way back in the day?
Old 03-29-2005, 02:05 PM   #759
ohthefuckwell

yeah. saw it a few times in junior high & high school, in english & history classes.

i always enjoyed it.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:19 PM   #760
Loy

Yeah......always hated how they changed the ending to make it more palatable to American "sensibilities". I kept thinking "wow, you missed the point completely".....and after watching the live-action version of it, I kept thinking "when a version of the same story with Julia-Louise Dreyfuss that was made for TV is closer to the source material than yours, you REALLY fucked up".....

Lesson-skip both versions altogether and just read the fucking thing. What? Too cool to fucking read, or do you even know how?
Old 03-29-2005, 02:26 PM   #761
Deadhymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loy
Lesson-skip both versions altogether and just read the fucking thing. What? Too cool to fucking read, or do you even know how?

I noticed the same thing about the animated version. There's a live action? Julie Dreyfuss??? jeezus...yes, even the laziest of readers should read it....its only what? 120 pages? i dont think its that people are too cool to read Loy...i think its that they're basically just too lazy. why bother with a book when hollywood and the MPAA will forcefeed you all you need to know?
Old 03-29-2005, 02:42 PM   #762
ohthefuckwell

the first time we watched it, i hadn't read the book yet and it was no big shock that my podunk school library didn't have a copy.

when i was finally able to read it in high school, i remember thinking the book was better, so why didn't we just read that for class the first time instead of watching the movie? i guess the teacher thought we wouldn't "get it".....either that, or my suckass school couldn't afford copies of the book for all of us.

the next couple of viewings were accompanied by reading. you know the drill: read the book, watch the movie, write the paper. i just liked watching for the differences and being the only one who laughed sometimes.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:51 PM   #763
DreamsInBlack

Last movie I watched was "The Lost Boys".
DreamsInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:20 PM   #764
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInBlack
Last movie I watched was "The Lost Boys".
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 07:00 PM   #765
Loy

A few I've caught on (big move this weekend, so my movie watching isn't as up to par)

Mr. Klein-OK, so I'm going to finally say it-Joseph Losey is the greatest of all the underknown past masters of cinema. As baroque and pessimistic as his films are (he had been chased out of the country by HUAC, and started working with Harold Pinter, fer chrisakes!), his films have a way of crawling under your head. Whilst "The Servant", "King And Coutnry", "Time Without Pity" are seen as his masterpieces, I'll throw in "Mr. Klein" as the ultimate culmination of Losey's work. The story starts off with Mr. Klein, an art collector living in France during the Nazi occupation, who buys art from jews on the run. He then finds out that there is another Robert Klein who the cops are looking for (because he's Jewish). What starts as an investigation to clear his name of Jewishness becomes an investigation into the concepts of identity and guilt (both personal and social). Losey keeps the audience from developing any sense of empathetic knowledge of the main character with his sense of mis-en-scene, his baroque sets and art direction, the shadowplay and coloration schemas, and (mostly) the performance of Alain Delon, who is truly the master of cinematic cool (both "cool" in the sense of emotional coldness, as well as "cool" in the sense of stylish posterity....don't believe me? Check out "Le Samourai"). And though the distance would be a turn off for most film-viewers, it works perfectly for this film, and the distancing also makes the ending (one of the most blood-curdling expositions on the banality of evil this side of Polanski) hit that much more.

Kung-Fu Hustle-somewhere between Yuen Wo-Ping and Tex Avery lies this piece of fluffiness that's more entertaining than it has any right to be. OK, so all you'll remember after "the end" are the fight scenes, it's more than enough to justify losing yourself in the film (and yes, Al, Scarecrow has copies for sale).

"Together"-not the chinese film by Chen Kaige, but the Swedish film by Lukas Moodeyson. It's about a group of people who live in a hippie commune in Sweden during the 70s. It's also about a mother who brings her two kids with her to live in said commune after her and her husband fight. It's also about the neighbors, a middle class couple who, whilst disparaging the commune dwellers whilst dealing with problems of their own. It's also about the way kids, when facing adults who are less mature than them, end up being the strongest and most resiliant of us all. It's about relationships forming and falling apart, the way things go on, things change, things stay the same, the way we laugh, cry, hope, make amends......what this film is about, in the end, is life itself. And whoever thought a song by ABBA could be both heartbreaking and joyously hopeful? (Fucking ABBA....jeesus....). "Together" is the most truly human film I have seen since the films of John Cassavetes, and the most joyously humane film since the works of Renoir.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:49 AM   #766
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loy
Kung-Fu Hustle-somewhere between Yuen Wo-Ping and Tex Avery lies this piece of fluffiness that's more entertaining than it has any right to be. OK, so all you'll remember after "the end" are the fight scenes, it's more than enough to justify losing yourself in the film (and yes, Al, Scarecrow has copies for sale).
Thanks. Actually we saw a trailer for it when we went to see

Sin City.

Great movie. I had only read the first book, about Marv, and that was shot for shot exactly like the book. The whole thing was great. Very violent, but you should already know that going in.

It was me, Manimal, EPS, and a mutual friend of ours. Me and the mutual friend were in line getting popcorn when I noticed this prick in front of me with "Ireland" tatted on the back of his neck, reeking of cheap liquor.
As the movie went on, there were about six punks (21+) behind the mutual friend and me, and they were pissing me off. One kept resting his knees up against the back of my chair, which I was willing to let go but once in awhile he'd bump it, so I just so happen to "drop something" and bend over to pick it up, only to shoot back up with my back hitting the back of my chair with enough force to remind his knees to behave. At one point I turned to Bryan who is generally mild mannered about stuff like that just shake his head.
That was all I needed.
I turned my head and said "shhh". When I turned back around I heard one snicker and mock my "shhh". I whipped around and not only looked at the original offenders, but I scanned the row slowly looking at all his buddies, six by my count. Must have looked pissed, cause they shut up.
Punks.
Shut the fuck up in the theater. No one wants to hear you or the fact your so stupid you have to ask the buddy next to you shit about the movie.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:38 AM   #767
Binkie

I recently went to see Robots as well. Robbin Williams carried the whole thing on his back. Mel Brooks, surprisingly, wasn't handed any real humorous parts in this. Story was entertaining and the CGI was obviously superb, but as for the rest of it, it would have been all hunky dorey if I were choking on all the messages they were trying to cram down my throat with it. Especially since quite a few challenge the storylines of previous Disney classics.

"I don't need to be beautiful to be worth anything in this world? But pretty much everyone that's ugly in these other cartoon films are all evil people who ultimately meet cruel fates. Now it works in the complete opposite here while directly refering to outter beauty as being a major factor in life and it's outcomes?" I know that'd confuse the bejesus out of me if I were 6 years old again.

Disney needs to stick to the "kindess" shit and leave some of this other drivel out. Especially the stuff that's now being targeted at adults in the audience. I don't want a god damn cartoon telling my kid what an ideal parental role model is when I'm sitting right next to them in the aduience. "How come this kid's father doesn't ever get mad at him under any circumstances?" "Because it's all a bunch of idealistic and fictional horseshit. Everyone has a boiling point and Disney doesn't like to tap that ever because it's better to cause friction between kids and parents by establishing these unrealistic portrayals of parents being a bunch of god damn Dali Llamas."
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:39 AM   #768
MrMaelstrom

Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!

And I don't even have kids. You tell'em!!!!
Old 04-02-2005, 11:57 AM   #769
AlKilyu

Next time use this

Cause this
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaelstrom
Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap! Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!Clap!
makes people think Michael Moore is running to a French Film Festival! ^_^
Old 04-03-2005, 12:31 AM   #770
count

killers in the woods

Saw high slasher body in new indie film killers in the woods. web site at http://www.killersinthewoods.com
count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:18 AM   #771
Manimal

Sin City - go see it. Right now. You'll either love it or you'll hate it but you have to see it.

If you are familiar with Frank Millers work you will love it. If not then - well I guess it depends on how open minded you are but I guarantee it's nothing like you've ever seen before.

As a bonus you do get to see Frodo beat the shit out of Mickey Rourke

Sin City: highly recommended by Manimal!!
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:21 AM   #772
Disfunction

Hostage.. It was alright...

But what I REALLY want to see is SIN CITY!

It looks so good... and I'm loving the soundtrack based off of what I've heard in the trailers... My friend and I had hoped to see it last night, buuuut... shit happened.

THIS WEEKEND! Hopefully.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:50 AM   #773
Nike

I can't wait to see Sin City, too ...
I've heard so much of it already...

the comic books were great, too.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:27 AM   #774
AlKilyu

Well, Jessica Alba is hot again

and there is a scene where a guy gets his gentalia ripped off by hand. EPS and I appluaded, something the audience found odd I think, at least the cocksucker behind us did. Maybe cause they knew that's what I would have done had they not shut up!!
Old 04-04-2005, 12:17 PM   #775
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlKilyu
Well, Jessica Alba is hot again

and there is a scene where a guy gets his gentalia ripped off by hand. EPS and I appluaded, something the audience found odd I think, at least the cocksucker behind us did. Maybe cause they knew that's what I would have done had they not shut up!!
Yeah, I thought there was going to be blood in our popcorn..The guys behind us wouldn't shut the fuck up, and Al was about to get all medeival on them. Luckily, they recognized their impending doom and quieted down.

Even though I was sick as fuck, Sin City FUCKING ROCKED!!

This is the most amazing graphic novel adaptation I have EVER seen!!

Plus with Tarantino as a guest director with Frank Miller, What the fuck else could you ask for??

It was stark, and beautiful and sad and brutal..

Oh man I could go on and on..

And Mickey Rourke as Marv??

Oh my fucking god..

When I first read he was going to be Marv, I was like " Uhh Mickey Rourke? Wtf? "

But when I saw him, I was astounded..

He WAS Marv. In every way. You could hardly tell Mickey was even in there..He was fucking great!

Jessica Alba was friggin delicious as usual, but it was Rosario Dawson that got me all moist.. MMMM GAWDAMN she looked HAWT!!

Honorable Mention goes to Mijo, for being so fuckable and so deadly all at the same time!!

All in all the BEST fucking movie I have seen in along time!!

You MUST go see it or face Death By Bukkake!!

:shock:
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote