Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
KontanKarite

I win the Spooky News Section.

http://213.251.145.96/articles/2010/...ping-List.html

There's other stuff here. Take a look. :-/

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Alan

I love Wikileaks
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
KontanKarite

Yeah, it's pretty interesting. A lot of that shit I have no idea what I'm actually looking at. But they have tutorials on there on how to read cables and what exactly it is that you're reading. This site is pretty much winsauce.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I would like it better if they gathered some big dirt on other countries too though, all this does is point out things the US does that other countries undoubtedly do too. If they were to get dirt on all countries it could create global reform rather than simply making the USA look bad.

At least thats a best case scenario, but frankly humanity is too unpredictable to predict exactly what will happen. Maybe this will cause only reform in the USA, which will lead to us rising to a new golden age, or maybe this will lead to the whole world ganging up on us.

Ugh, this is why I hate politics. I'm just going to stop reading this, too many damn possibilities for what humanity might do.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:22 AM   #5
CptSternn

It's not that they are 'getting dirt' - people send them dirt. If the only people sending the dirt are those with ties to America, you can't blame WikiLeaks.

I personally liked the cables about Brazil. Did ye read those? The US government had Brazil lock up innocent men on fake drug charges as they thought they might have some ties to groups in the middle east the US didn't like.

And I of course love this - yes, I am posting a link to fauxnews...

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/12...nce-file-shut/

Many media outlets have been ignoring this, but the file is on the site now - a 1.7 gig file called INSURANCE. Assange has said if they try to shut his site down or put him in jail he will release the password needed to unencrypt the file which supposedly contains enough sensitive information to bring down a few governments and scuttle both war coalitions.

Wouldn't you love to know whats in that file?
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:40 AM   #6
Renatus

Hmm, "virtually" unbreakable? I bet an autistic could crack it, wouldn't be surprised if one already has.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 12-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Keep in mind that the NSA may take advantage of the popularity and wide distribution of a site like this to spread misinformation calculated to achieve desired results.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:01 AM   #8
CptSternn

Another one just in - American tax dollars at work

Texas Company Helped Pimp Little Boys To Stoned Afghan Cops

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba...any_helped.php
Old 12-08-2010, 04:00 AM   #9
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
Another one just in - American tax dollars at work

Texas Company Helped Pimp Little Boys To Stoned Afghan Cops

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba...any_helped.php
I'm all for cultural diversity, but I think thats one tradition I'm willing to be prejudiced against.

But you know now that the wiki leaks guy has been arrested, is he going to keep his word and give out the password? If so, will the info inside really live up to the expectations he set? But worse still, do we really want to know what this is, or is this the forbidden fruit?

Old 12-09-2010, 02:09 AM   #10
Corpsey

I'm keen to know what it is, although my imagination is already running amok with what it could be. I have no faith in humanity, so it could be anything. If it is as bad as I expect it to be, like Renatus, I wonder if we really want to know how bad various Governments are.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:08 AM   #11
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
I'm all for cultural diversity, but I think thats one tradition I'm willing to be prejudiced against.
Agreed.

Quote:
But you know now that the wiki leaks guy has been arrested, is he going to keep his word and give out the password? If so, will the info inside really live up to the expectations he set? But worse still, do we really want to know what this is, or is this the forbidden fruit?
The case against him is very,very weak. Chances are it will be thrown out once he gets to Sweden.

I think he is saving it for a 'real' attempt to arrest and imprison him. What we are seeing now is merely a spectacle which won't lead anywhere, an effort to slander him by having media headlines around the world link him to **** and 'sex acts'.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #12
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
I'm keen to know what it is, although my imagination is already running amok with what it could be. I have no faith in humanity, so it could be anything. If it is as bad as I expect it to be, like Renatus, I wonder if we really want to know how bad various Governments are.
Well it's not just the fact that it could reveal how bad various Governments are, it's how everyone will react. It's said that the "insurance" information could have government toppling implications. Governments dont tend to topple peacefully, and war has been known to spread.

Quote:
And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:11 AM   #13
vindicatedxjin

<3 you kontan!
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #14
vindicatedxjin

Nothing is more surprising than this Cable!
Old 12-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #15
Renatus

You know what has me even more worried that this could be some horrible war starting thing, the fact that Julian Assange has a hideout that looks like it belongs to a Bond Villain.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #16
Renatus

You could definitely make a Bond film from this whole situation. He could be a Charismatic hacker/whistle blower who is blackmailing governments of the world to stay out of his nefarious plans. All the while getting anonymous to do his bidding thanks to the sympathy they have for him, weakening the websites of the big credit card companies so while they're busy fixing their website, he sneaks into their secure servers stealing all the personal information on them. Then threatening all the governments of the world with the possibility of exploiting all of that information to the extent that the world's government systems are so screwed up due to all that stolen info that anarchy ensues, unless they meet his demands.

Bond of course would be entangled in all this trying to stop it.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:48 AM   #17
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
You could definitely make a Bond film from this whole situation. He could be a Charismatic hacker/whistle blower who is blackmailing governments of the world to stay out of his nefarious plans.
First, the movie was already made - Tomorrow Never Dies. Its pretty much the same idea - a media mogul using his world media empire to threaten government officials to do his bidding.

Second, the reason it would never work in the real world is that you are assuming governments around the world can actually be embarrassed about things. That would imply they have some level of shame, which in todays world its safe to say you can't find that many that actually do.

Look at what has been released so far - innocent people arrested and/or assassinated, young boys pimped out for sex, governments lying about the reasons behind various wars...yet the governments involved have yet to even address any of these issues - their attitude is like 'so what are ye going to do about it?'

At the same time the right-wing nuts are spinning this and trying to use it as a reason to limit free speech, ignoring the facts that have been released and going after reporters.

No shame at all.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:03 AM   #18
Renatus

Yeah I know, but still one can always imagine what it would be like to have a real world, bond style evil genius. I must admit I was a bit embarrassed after posting that.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #19
vindicatedxjin

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/12/08...n.pill/?hpt=T2