Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-30-2011, 11:50 PM   #1
CptSternn

Google+

The new Facebook?

http://www.google.com/intl/en-US/+/demo/

They disabled invites, but if anyone would like one to beta test the new system lemme know and I'll send them as soon as they re-enable them sure.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
Geoluhread

It's now open for public.

I'm not liking it that much. I don't get why people are all over it :s
There are things that I can't make private and when you have a search engine run your social networking tool, it's a tad bit worrying.
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoluhread View Post
I'm not liking it that much. I don't get why people are all over it :s
There are things that I can't make private and when you have a search engine run your social networking tool, it's a tad bit worrying.
Spot in. That echoes my concern as well.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
Saya

I'd really like a replacement for facebook though. It annoys the crap out of me but its also how I keep in touch with a lot of people who moved away, and its the official means of communication for one of the places where I volunteer.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Ben Lahnger

I'm waiting for an invite to try the Diaspora beta.

If that project fulfills half its potential, I'll be dropping Facebook like a hot rock.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 07-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Saya

Just got it, its kinda weird. Setting the privacy settings was kinda confusing, you can prevent people from finding you in a search engine easily, but for basically everything on your profile you can set various levels of privacy. So there's more control in that regard, but it gets tedious, I wish there was just an option to set to everything to "my Circles only". I like the Circles feature, so it'll be easier to make sure my aunt doesn't see shit I don't want her to see XD
Old 07-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
Alan

Here's the problem with Google+
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
But is google+'s information mining a manditory part of the user agreement? Facebook as part of the user agreement allowed to access whatever you put on there however whenever they want, does google+ have a similar agreement?

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
Saya

I don't think the chart is accurate, Microsoft uses Facebook info for Bing, Facebook and Skype are being integrated and Facebook also now has email.

And at least Google has the Data Liberation thing, whereas Facebook keeps it even if you delete your profile.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
Alan

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
Saya

There it is. Apparently both say its just because that if you delete shit, it remains on your friend's pages if they shared it.

Still not worried. Google lets you see what kind of ads it thinks you likes, and you can turn those cookies off, but apparently Google thinks I'm a man.

No, really, they have me under the male demographic. So apparently the different Google services don't share info?
Old 07-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #12
Renatus

I certainly like google's agreement more than facebook's. Before the internet companies used to gather data through observation of customers anyways, as well as displaying the data to promote their services. For example there are all the sports arenas out there, that like putting people in the stands on the big screen, no one ever complains about that. I think facebook goes a bit further than that though.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 07-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #13
Saya

Well, yeah, and if you're not computer friendly it can be hard to realize what is public. I suppose that does make Google's tedious privacy settings more obvious, so when you edit your profile it lets you know from the get go what can be seen to whom.

Ever see those websites though, where you put in someone's email address and all kinds of crazy info comes up about them? You can opt out of them if you find yourself but its scary, I never heard of them until someone in a shelfari group posted a link to one, and it came up with all sorts of info on me, including my Mom's old PO Box address. I think that came from when I was a contact for a student organization in high school, but I know that was taken down, scary that its still floating around the internet somehow :/
Old 07-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #14
Grausamkeit

Screw Facebook and Google+ both. I'm happier just poking around on forums.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:27 AM   #15
Still Jack

My Facebook, Google Talk, Tumblr and Twitter are enough for me, I'm not signing up to something else. My problem is that for instance on facebook the people that I have on facebook are actually people I do know and see regularly. I'm not going to move to G+ because most of my contacts are on facebook. That's my only real motivation for not switching.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:15 AM   #16
Underwater Ophelia

Wait, what's google+?
Not kidding. I've heard of it, but I don't really know what it is.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:36 AM   #17
CptSternn

http://plus.google.com
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:54 AM   #18
Ben Lahnger

It amuses me to learn that the most popular person on Google Plus is a fake Mark Zuckerberg.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 07-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #19
Underwater Ophelia

Sternn, I don't wanna join, I just want to know what it is.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #20
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post

It amuses me to learn that the most popular person on Google Plus is a fake Mark Zuckerberg.

yeah... sure.. "fake" Mark Zuckerberg.