Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 11-29-2005, 07:57 PM   #101
urian

THIS IS NOT THAT CHEESY AMY LEE!!!

I had a deviant account for almost a year but I got fed up with the angst ridden, teeny bopper, mongoloids there. The were a rare few that were so talented it was humbling but they were few and far between.

urian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:00 PM   #102
rockandrose

Urian, I like the middle picture.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:18 PM   #103
urian

Thanks, rock. It was actually a larger picture with several people in it. The original made her look happy and cheery but ehr eyes were so unnaturally big that I had to do something with them. I cropped and shopped and thats what I got.

Oh..and manimal...I'll trade you a story for a car!
urian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:03 PM   #104
Sanctus Dei

Urian... you inspire me. Beautiful Work.

Anti...your color work is amazing!! I'm just now trying to learn the color (even though I've had photoshop and paint forever I've only realy done photo-manips)

Let's see.. I do anime style currently I have done portraits maybe I'll link them later but here is one I penciled early last year... (it's okay but I've done better) Sorry for the lack of color but like I said, just now learning.

Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:11 PM   #105
anti

Damn. Sanctus Dei, that's fucking awesome.
anti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:21 PM   #106
Sanctus Dei

Wanna color it for me?? You rock at the paints..
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

Old 12-02-2005, 12:04 PM   #107
thetiesonyourcorset

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti
thetiesonyourcorset, would you like some pointers?
yes please,i so can't draw!
thetiesonyourcorset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:15 PM   #108
Dr. Faust

Well, what can I possibly add? That was some awesome art. I wish I had been born with a talent to paint; but I think a lot of it is genetic.
Dr. Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #109
anti

Sanctus Dei, sure. I'd love to. I'm actually in the middle of my finals right now, though. And I'm procrastinating enough as is, so not untill after 12th December, okay? Do you have a higher resolution version, by the way? Coloring low resolution stuff is kind of... ugh.

thetiesonyourcorset, give me a couple a few minutes.

Dr. Faust, bullshit. Not saying I'm any good as is, but you should have seen the way I drew only a year ago. So ridiculously bad that I've destroyed all the evidence. And I can only look forward to looking at my art a year from now. Plus, no one in my family has ever been able to draw anything beyond retarded stick figures. If you can put pencil to paper, you can draw. If you can put brush to canvas, you can paint.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:27 PM   #110
anti

First you've got to ask yourself if you really want to draw and if you're willing to put some effort into it. Because, honestly, most of the time it's going to be fucking annoying.

You can continue to draw like you do right now and have lots of fun or you can get serious and have lots of fun in a few years when you can actually draw well. Either way...

You see, drawing has nothing to do with actually drawing. Drawing is all about seeing. What you have to do is teach your brain how to truly see and understand the things around you and what they're truly like, not what your brain thinks they're like.

Take this for example:

You see an eye and your brain translates it into this shape.

Here's what the shape of an eye is really like.

You've got to teach your brain those subtle differences between what it thinks things look like and what they really look like. A good way to do this, would be to grab a sketchbook and just draw from life. Taking good care to not think at all what about you're drawing, just drawing what you see.

Okay? Right.

If you're looking to get better, you should maybe head off to deviantART, grab a few portrait photographs and try to draw them that way. Just drawing what you see, and not what you think you see. You'll develop a recognizable drawing skill surprisingly fast like that. In a few weeks you may even be able to ask your friends to pose for you without them pointing at you and laughing once they see the results. In a few months you'll be pulling your hair over pesky friends who just got a new apartment and think its walls are too empty, asking you to draw them something. Yeah... Seriously.

Here are a few things to keep in mind while drawing the face. You should carefully study these proportions from photographs or people in real live. These proportion all assume a full front view, but once you understand the shape of the head, you can apply them to pretty much any angle.

The eyes split the head into two parts; (a) the length from the top of the head, to the top of the eyes is the same as the length from the chin to the top of the eyes. (b) The head is five eye lenghts wide. One eye length to the side of each eye, and one in between. (c) The nose, placed between the eyes, is one eye length wide. (d) The base of the nose, base of the cheekbone and base of the ear always lie on a line drawn across the head (in any angle you can come up with). To determine the size of the ears, keep in mind the way glasses rest on people's faces. (e) The length from the base of the nose to the top of the eyes is roughly the same as the length from the base of the nose to the base of the chin. (f) Lips stretch across the face lower part of the face from the middle of one eye to the middle of the other.

Take especially good note of the first point. Loads of delicate details are placed in the lower half of the head. That's where all the facial features lie. Thus the brain tends to recognize that area as larger than it really is, omitting a big part of the forehead, which in reality occupies the top half of the head, but looks like it takes up far less space due to the lack of features.

However, I didn't start drawing untill just over a year ago and didn't take it seriously untill much later. I've never taken an art class, either, so I'm not the best one to look to for art advice. So just take these points with a grain of salt.

Now, find a good photograph to practice on. The deviantART portrait gallery may be a good place to look. Browse through and find a portrait you like and then draw it. Then post it up and we can offer you some constructive criticism.

I must stress one last thing. I've seen people draw and draw for years without actually getting better. WHEN YOU'RE DRAWING ALWAYS USE PHOTOGRAPHIC OR REAL LIFE REFERENCE! You won't automatically learn how to draw a pose just by trying. When your mind doesn't know what a particular pose or thing looks like, it's not going to figure it out by just trying. So, when you're starting out, by all means, always use photographic or real life reference. It'll help you improve way faster than you'd expect.

So, thetiesonyourcorset, I hope this is of at least some help. And if not to you, then hopefully someone else.

This was not supposed to be this long, by the way... Sorry.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:50 PM   #111
thetiesonyourcorset

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti
First you've got to ask yourself if you really want to draw and if you're willing to put some effort into it. Because, honestly, most of the time it's going to be fucking annoying.

You can continue to draw like you do right now and have lots of fun or you can get serious and have lots of fun in a few years when you can actually draw well. Either way...

You see, drawing has nothing to do with actually drawing. Drawing is all about seeing. What you have to do is teach your brain how to truly see and understand the things around you and what they're truly like, not what your brain thinks they're like.

Take this for example:

You see an eye and your brain translates it into this shape.

Here's what the shape of an eye is really like.

You've got to teach your brain those subtle differences between what it thinks things look like and what they really look like. A good way to do this, would be to grab a sketchbook and just draw from life. Taking good care to not think at all what about you're drawing, just drawing what you see.

Okay? Right.

If you're looking to get better, you should maybe head off to deviantART, grab a few portrait photographs and try to draw them that way. Just drawing what you see, and not what you think you see. You'll develop a recognizable drawing skill surprisingly fast like that. In a few weeks you may even be able to ask your friends to pose for you without them pointing at you and laughing once they see the results. In a few months you'll be pulling your hair over pesky friends who just got a new apartment and think its walls are too empty, asking you to draw them something. Yeah... Seriously.

Here are a few things to keep in mind while drawing the face. You should carefully study these proportions from photographs or people in real live. These proportion all assume a full front view, but once you understand the shape of the head, you can apply them to pretty much any angle.

The eyes split the head into two parts; (a) the length from the top of the head, to the top of the eyes is the same as the length from the chin to the top of the eyes. (b) The head is five eye lenghts wide. One eye length to the side of each eye, and one in between. (c) The nose, placed between the eyes, is one eye length wide. (d) The base of the nose, base of the cheekbone and base of the ear always lie on a line drawn across the head (in any angle you can come up with). To determine the size of the ears, keep in mind the way glasses rest on people's faces. (e) The length from the base of the nose to the top of the eyes is roughly the same as the length from the base of the nose to the base of the chin. (f) Lips stretch across the face lower part of the face from the middle of one eye to the middle of the other.

Take especially good note of the first point. Loads of delicate details are placed in the lower half of the head. That's where all the facial features lie. Thus the brain tends to recognize that area as larger than it really is, omitting a big part of the forehead, which in reality occupies the top half of the head, but looks like it takes up far less space due to the lack of features.

However, I didn't start drawing untill just over a year ago and didn't take it seriously untill much later. I've never taken an art class, either, so I'm not the best one to look to for art advice. So just take these points with a grain of salt.

Now, find a good photograph to practice on. The deviantART portrait gallery may be a good place to look. Browse through and find a portrait you like and then draw it. Then post it up and we can offer you some constructive criticism.

I must stress one last thing. I've seen people draw and draw for years without actually getting better. WHEN YOU'RE DRAWING ALWAYS USE PHOTOGRAPHIC OR REAL LIFE REFERENCE! You won't automatically learn how to draw a pose just by trying. When your mind doesn't know what a particular pose or thing looks like, it's not going to figure it out by just trying. So, when you're starting out, by all means, always use photographic or real life reference. It'll help you improve way faster than you'd expect.

So, thetiesonyourcorset, I hope this is of at least some help. And if not to you, then hopefully someone else.

This was not supposed to be this long, by the way... Sorry.
thanks a lot i'll try and work on it soon! I only did Art at school and then again it was mostly copying stuff like i remember doing a fairly good copy of one of Picaso's paintings it was a woman,can't remember what it was called but i think mine was quite a good copy of it and i wish i had it now to take a pic of it and put it up here but sadly it's either still at school or been chucked by the school!!!
thetiesonyourcorset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 03:21 AM   #112
Sanctus Dei

I'll find a good res copy and get it to you then... thankyou Anti!! I look forward to seeing it finally finished!!

Thanks to all for your compliments... Ill post more soon.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:38 AM   #113
Metuo

Just to share some of my works :

Painting
Metuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:59 AM   #114
anti

Sanctus Dei: Cool. ^^

Metsuo: Welcome to G.net. Very impressive stuff.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:00 PM   #115
Sanctus Dei

Metuo-F-ing awesome jacket!! I love the claw detail...

Old 12-05-2005, 12:01 AM   #116
TheKorovaMilkbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal
you talented artsy types piss me off

All I can do is build a car and drive it like a madman...
DAMN it! I hate that. I'll trade you my artistic talent for all of your knowledge and experience on auto-mechanics.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:04 AM   #117
TheKorovaMilkbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by urian
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/Urian_/d2808898.jpg THIS IS NOT THAT CHEESY AMY LEE!!!

I had a deviant account for almost a year but I got fed up with the angst ridden, teeny bopper, mongoloids there. The were a rare few that were so talented it was humbling but they were few and far between.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1..._/5b48154d.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...n_/PETALS3.jpg
Urian, your photography is amazing. Would you go back to DA if we had a Gnet group there?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:11 AM   #118
TheKorovaMilkbar

Damn it, triple post. I might as well post something instead of just chat material.

Here is one pic that I submitted for the photography show at my college. There is a larger version on my DA account.

And Metuo, your drawings and paintings are very skillful. Keep up the good work.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:56 PM   #119
Metuo

Gee, thanks a lot guys!

I'm now drawing my friend's motorcycle (Ink on canvas)

Soooo many details and chrome everywhere! (I really freak on little details)

Me and my ideas... lol! :S
Metuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:06 AM   #120
TheKorovaMilkbar

Wow, I just realized I never posted that picture. *slaps forehead*
Old 12-09-2005, 11:25 AM   #121
Corpus_Draconis

One day I looked at some gummi worms and thought they caught the light well, so I took pictures of them

Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Corpus_Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:29 AM   #122
Corpus_Draconis

Oh. And a background that I made for my comp. It was supposed to be happier, but the angel ended up looking sad, so I made it my angry christmas background. I started to make a happy christmas background, but then exams got in the way.

Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Corpus_Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 01:35 PM   #123
AlKilyu

Often, when I get stressed, I open this pic

or if I am home I open my laptop that has it as the desktop. It's so beautiful and I can easily get lost in it.
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 03:05 AM   #124
Sanctus Dei

Love the wings corpus... beautiful!!

Old 12-10-2005, 03:29 AM   #125
Sanctus Dei

Opps forgot I was going to post another pic. This is older then the last one... I'm a giant Final Fantasy VII fan, (for those who are FF literate) this drawing was a part of a "pick a male/female character and gender swap" Well I picked Sephiroth and Vincent... This was the result: