Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:38 PM   #51
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
The Exorcist
This is one of my favourites, I watched it with my Uncle Gary and he just went on and on about how terrifying it was for him when he first saw it as a young person, it scared him so bad he'd carry holy water around with him everywhere ^_^

There is also The Shining (have to check behind doors and make sure Jack Nicholson isn't there after seeing it), The Omen (original), House On Haunted Hill (original), The Last Man On Earth, One Body Too Many, 28 Days Later, Pan's Labyrinth, and The Blair Witch Project.

I also just like watching really old crappy horror movies like Attack of the Giant Leeches or King Of The Zombies
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #52
Deadmanwalking_05

I almost forgot about The Gate
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:12 AM   #53
Mealla

I like too many to have a favorite..many of these were already named, some repeatedly, but..28 Days Later was a really great commentary on human nature. The Hellraiser series is awesome of course. For some reason I also really took a liking to Cube and Cube: Zero (the third one which is a prequel...the second one sucked aside from two brief *snicker* moments).

I can definitely agree with Nosferatu, Willard, and the Saw series. Old Vincent Price movies are also really enjoyable, and though I'm more a fan of the traditional human-to-wolf werewolves, I do have a soft spot for werewolf movies, especially:

-Ginger Snaps series
-Dog Soldiers (which I found more realistic than many higher budget werewolf films)
-The Howling (only the first, don't see the rest unless it's for laughs...)
-An American Werewolf in London
-The Cat People (werecats...close enough)

Classics such as Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Hills Have Eyes were also good until just about every low-budget horror movie in existance started copying them...and in other news, remakes suck.

And I almost forgot Silent Hill! Love the game series, loved the movie.

Sorry for rambling a bit. Ironically enough, I don't really know anyone offline who loves horror movies like I do. It's refreshing to see horror love.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:11 AM   #54
a morbid curiosity

I don't like horror movies much, they just make me laugh.
One time, The Grudge 2 was on TV and I laughed hysterically for the entire film, whilst my dad was nearly sick... he is far too easily scared...

I like The Blair Witch Project though.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:18 AM   #55
Joker_in_the_Pack

Horror movies are funny.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:24 AM   #56
a morbid curiosity

Yeah... the funny thing is, when I was eight or nine, my parents had specifically banned me from horror movies. Not books, just movies. I thought there was some grandiose region of fright beyond what I could find in ghosts and monsters living under the bed. I was deeply disappointed.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:44 PM   #57
MegearaErotica

I can't watch horror movies without having dreams and hallucinations about them. The scariest movie I've seen so far is Dead Silence a year ago, and I still see that creepy dummy in the shadows.
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #58
Invisigoth69

ROSE RED.
(that's actually a Stephen King story. That is why I really like it.)
Invisigoth69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #59
Subphonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegearaErotica
I can't watch horror movies without having dreams and hallucinations about them. The scariest movie I've seen so far is Dead Silence a year ago, and I still see that creepy dummy in the shadows.
Yeah, that's my problem, the films make me laugh but later my imagination carries them on and freaks me out.
Subphonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #60
Slap Your Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaCramp
Suspiria
I'm glad someone said this. Bravo. Couldn't agree more.
Unless you consider A clockwork orange somewhat a horror.
Then I choose it mainly because it's my favorite film.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:29 PM   #61
MegearaErotica

Actually, now that I think about it I have watched 1408 and I really liked it. I just didn't consider it a horror movie because it's pg-13.
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:32 PM   #62
JCC

Horror movies suck. If the entire theme of the film is just to intimidate you, what's the point? There's no statement, no expression, it just pigeonholes itself into the genericism of a certain parameter rather than reflecting something truly disturbing.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #63
honeythorn

Clive Barkers Nightbreed is one of my all time favourites. The evil dead trilogy, the first 3 Nightmare on Elm st's , Pans Labyrinth ( not exactly a horror as such but still great ) Hellraiser, Christine, The Lamp, The Howling ( the poster scared the shit out of me when I was a child, my brother had it on his wall ), An American Werewolf in London, Alien trilogy , Ginger Snaps, The Thing, From Beyond, And I also like the Creepshow short horror films. I have a dvd of one set , containing a film about a lake which induced my hydrophobia as a child and has continued to this day. Good film though.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #64
Beneath the Shadows

Dead Alive was awesome. And I thought that Jeepers Creepers was a good one, though the second one sucked sweaty balls.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:07 AM   #65
Mealla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegearaErotica
Actually, now that I think about it I have watched 1408 and I really liked it. I just didn't consider it a horror movie because it's pg-13.
Rating doesn't make a horror movie. In fact, some of the better horror movies don't have an R rating, because those use psychology (which can actually be scary) instead of cheap special effects and gore (which can be hillarious).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Dead Alive was awesome.
I kick ass for the Lord!
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:41 PM   #66
darklordronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolide
I like horror as a whole, but needless blood and gore bore me. Watching some murderer kill 5 people is boring. I prefer psychological horror by a lot. I don't really watch that many movies though, I spend my time doing other things.

But the last horror movie I watched that I liked was the Sixth Sense.
I prefer psychological horror as well. Spirits, occult and the supernatural make better movies than psycho blood stuff, for me at least.
darklordronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #67
stolide

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordronnie
I prefer psychological horror as well. Spirits, occult and the supernatural make better movies than psycho blood stuff, for me at least.
Now if only the mainstream also thought that... We might have an influx of good horror movies instead of bloodfests...
stolide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #68
Fatbaby

I too favor Freaks. It is a horrorfying and fascinating film.
Fatbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:14 AM   #69
Dr Nancy

Blue Velvet.
Dr Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #70
StrangeLove

E.T. scared me as a child. I hated that alien.
StrangeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #71
jack_the_knife

Really liked the movie "Creep" but I don't know if that calssifies as a horror or not.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #72
TheSomnambulist

The old horror movies from the 20's to the 60's are best. Though David Lynch deeply unsettles me, and Asian horror movies tend to creep me out a lot of the time.
TheSomnambulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #73
gothlace06

I prefer the old Hitchcock classics. I also prefer the Wishmaster series too but the wishmaster series wasn't that scary.
gothlace06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:12 PM   #74
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Horror movies suck. If the entire theme of the film is just to intimidate you, what's the point? There's no statement, no expression
Yeah, all horror movies have no statement. I forgot that they never got around to making Night of the Living Dead. No expression either, it's not as if Nosferatu and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari are defining films in the canon of expressionism.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #75
Peccas

Black sheep
lol
Peccas is offline   Reply With Quote