Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 07-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #1
KontanKarite

Recipe Thread

I know this has been done before, but I can't seem to find it.

Anyway, post some of your recipes here.

Curry Lo Mein:

Curry powder
Pasta (egg noodles are best. If not, spaghetti works)
Mixed veggies
Soy sauce
Olive/veggie oil

Boil noodles to al dente. Boil veggies until warm throughout and crisp. Set both aside.

Get a frying pan or wok and put about 2 table spoons of oil and a tablespoon of soy sauce to the pan. Roll this mix around and let it coat the pan. Heat it up on high until it starts to sizzle.

Add noodles and veggies to the pan/wok and stir fry it all the while, adding curry powder to taste. It's done when the noodles are kinda brown and slightly crispy.

Serve it.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
Solumina

Here is the even older recipe thread but I'm necroing this one, mostly because the title is better. Here is the food thread, which was kind of for food related advice but that one didn't really get much action.

The great thing about cooking with eggs is that for any dish you can easily swap out major components like the meat and veg to get a completely different flavor without having to change much of anything so they are a great way to use whatever you have on hand and most egg recipes are super forgiving (except souffles, they are about as unforgiving as a dish can be and that is why you will see none of them here).

Now on to the recipes! (All degrees are in Fahrenheit)

Baked eggs in ramekins these can be made individually or as a bunch

Butter (or oil)
1 slice tomato
1 small slice prosciutto
1 egg
Salt and pepper

1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease the ramekin.

2. Layer tomato and prosciutto in the ramekin and break egg over top.

3. Place ramekin onto a baking sheet and bake on middle rack for 10-15 minutes depending on how well done you like your eggs. Since the ramekin will retain heat it is best to take them out when they are slightly undercooked.

4. Salt and pepper to taste.

Bell pepper eggs
This is a super easy way to class up a fried egg.

1. Slice a bell pepper and remove seeds so you have a ring

2. Place in hot, oiled pan

3. Crack egg, pour inside the ring, and fry as normal (some egg may bleed out under the ring, don't worry, still looks and tastes great)

4. Salt and pepper to taste, serve on a piece of toast for a lovely open faced breakfast sandwich

Hollandaise Sauce
This is a wonderfully rich and decadent sauce that chefs slave over, only for the sauce to break on them so instead of whisking for 10 minutes in the hopes of beating it into submission I make it in a blender, it's faster, easier, more reliable, and still really, really yummy.

3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon white pepper (optional)
10 tablespoons salted butter (you can use unsalted and just add salt to taste if you want)

1. Melt the butter in a small pot over low-medium heat, if it gets a little foamy that's fine just skim off the foam.

2. Add the egg yolks, lemon juice, salt and cayenne to your blender. Blend at a medium to medium high speed until it lightens in color, about 20-30 seconds.

3. Turn the blender down to its lowest setting (if you only have one speed on your blender it will still work), and drizzle in the melted butter slowly, while the blender is going. Continue blending about 5 seconds after the butter is all incorporated.

4. Turn off the blender and taste the sauce. Add extra lemon juice or salt to taste. If you want a thinner consistency, add a little warm water. Pulse briefly to incorporate the ingredients one more time.

5. Pour over whatever you like but use right away.

I'll be back with more recipes later but I have to run off to the gym and if I start going through my recipe cards I will end up making something decadent instead of working out and that's kind of the opposite of what I should be doing.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
Timeless Rebellion

Thank you Sol! I will check these out tomorrow, and I might even try one of them out ^-^
Forget me not, and keep my memory.
Timeless Rebellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Solumina

Quiche
It can be eaten just like this or you can add loads of stuff to it, spinach and caramelized onions are my faves

10 large eggs
2 cups crema mexicana (creme fraiche or greek yogurt can be subbed)
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, mix together 1 egg and flour on high speed until smooth. Add the remaining 9 eggs and continue mixing until well blended.

3. Place crema mexicana in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth, add milk and continue whisking until well combined. Add to mixer along with salt, pepper, and thyme, mix until well combined.

4. Strain mixture into a large bowl through a fine-mesh sieve.
4a. this is where you would add any additional ingredients

5. Pour mixture into prepared tart shell. Bake 10 minutes.

6. Reduce temperature to 325 degrees, and continue baking until filling is slightly firm, about 35 minutes more.

7. Transfer to a wire rack to cool until set, about 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

I like to bake this the night before, to reheat, cover with aluminum foil and bake in an oven heated to 325 degrees for about 15 minutes.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 09-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Solumina

Spaghetti with tomato sauce and eggs
This is super yummy and rather unexpected, which makes it great for dinner parties.

You only need whatever you use for spaghetti with red sauce and eggs.

Cook pasta normally and while that is cooking heat up your sauce (I like to make my own and leave the tomatoes a little chunky, gives it a nicer presentation)

Gently crack eggs into sauce, cover, and let cook 5 minutes.

Remove skillet from heat, uncover, and let stand 2 to 3 minutes.

Spoon sauce onto pasta and top with the egg.

(You can also do this over rice or toast)
-Carbon Leaf
Old 09-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
Acharis

Aw yis. I may have to read through this thread and the others, it could even inspire me to start cooking and eating real food again.

I like very simple food right now. Using sunflower oil or vegetable oil spray, fry 3 eggs over easy or over medium (Google will tell you how). Cut the hot eggs into bite sized pieces. Either mash/stir in nutritional yeast flakes or sprinkle on seasoned salt.

Shovel into mouth in front of computer, adding buttered toast if you like.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
Acharis

(I will add my better recipes later... I'm planning to make vegetarian casserole to remember what I put in there.

And if you've never eaten nutritional yeast, it's just a powdery food that kind of tastes like cheese. You get it from the health store.)
Old 09-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
ape descendant

Since we're sharing recipes I've got one.

Its starting to get chilly out here so my thoughts tend to turn to things like hot coco and stews. This is a really easy/cheap vegetarian stew, great for warming up cold tummies and very filling.

Lentils and stewed tomato soup

1 lb lentils
½ lb noodles
1 can stewed tomatos
1 onion
Garlic powder (or minced fresh garlic) to taste
Italian seasoning (to taste)

Add a little oil to soup pot, sauté onion until transparent. Add lentils, noodles, stewed tomatoes, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and 6 cups water. Bring to boil, then reduce and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Serve hot.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
Platina

This is something I came up with out of the blue one day, and it doesn't have a name...yet. I'm still trying to think of ways to improve it, so right now, it's not exactly finished. Here's what I came up with so far.

Spaghetti of any choice (I do NOT recommend angel hair pasta, or it'll be mushy)
Alfredo sauce. Ragu is recommended, and any flavor (roasted garlic or otherwise) of your choice
Pouched or canned salmon
Canned baby shrimp
Canned crab (Optional)
Dried oregano & basil flakes
Chili powder
*You can add any other seafood you wish. I just listed the stuff I always use. Canned crab tends to have hard shell bits, so I rarely use it. Substitutions can be used.

If you make this for yourself, then cook whatever amount of pasta you want, and to your liking. Add salt if desired before or during the boiling process. After it's been cooked, drain and put back in the pot once the inside of the pot has cooled, otherwise, you may end up with bits of dried out pasta. Add the fish, shrimp, and crab into the pot. Pour your desired amount of sauce into it, then add your desired amount of oregano, basil, and chili. Mix it up as well as your able, but be careful not to mash the noodles. Serve onto a plate, and enjoy.

If you make this for more than one person, then double the amount of ingredients listed to whatever suits you. This dish also makes great leftovers, say, you want to have some for work. Then put the leftovers in a storage container, leave it in the fridge, and it's ready for you the next day. Heating isn't recommended since it'll dry out, but it tastes great when it's chilled.

The taste may or may not appeal to everyone. I have a huge thing for seafood, so it tastes great to me. Just give it a try, is all I can tell you.
Platina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
Solumina

Easiest party food that impresses the hell out of everyone.

Easy Brie En Croute
What you need:
Brie (an 8oz wheel is ideal but any wheel or wedge is fine)

A can/tube of refrigerated crescent rolls (I like immaculate because they don't have all the unpronounceable stuff that Pillsbury and the like have)

yummy stuff (fruit, jam, brown sugar, nuts, any combination of these things.

1) Heat oven to 350°F.

2) Unroll dough and separate crosswise into 2 sections.

3) Pat dough and firmly press perforations to seal, forming 2 squares. Not super important if they don't all seal perfectly the cheese has a rind and wont gush out as long as the gaps aren't huge.

4) Place 1 square on ungreased cookie sheet (I like to line with parchment paper or foil because I usually include brown sugar with the yummy stuff which has a tendency to seep out a little and is a huge pain to get off)

5) Place cheese on center of dough.

6) Put yummy stuff on top of cheese

7) Top with the other half of the dough, press dough evenly around cheese, folding bottom edges over top edges and press to seal completely. Doesn't matter if it looks messy, it will look pretty when it bakes up

8) Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.

9) Cool 10 minutes and serve warm.

It is best warm but it will retain heat well and is still quite yummy even after it cools so it can be left out for people to nibble over the course of a long party
-Carbon Leaf
Old 09-04-2015, 11:06 PM   #11
Acharis

I just learned what Hamburger Helper was... want to make this version when I have the energy, maybe in the next few days. Copy pasta'd for easy reference but make sure you (I) read the notes regarding pasta type and liquid amount.

"Easy Homemade Hamburger Helper

PREP TIME
5 mins
COOK TIME
20 mins
TOTAL TIME
25 mins

Easy, cheesy macaroni and beef made completely in one pot!
Serves: 4-5 servings
INGREDIENTS
1 lb lean ground beef
½ medium onion, diced
½ red pepper, diced
1 pinch red pepper flakes (or more, if you like it spicy!)
½ tsp minced garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 cube frozen spinach (or about 1 cup fresh, chopped fine)
1¾ cup milk
1¾ cup beef broth
2½ cups macaroni
1½ cups tomato sauce
1½ cups shredded cheese

INSTRUCTIONS
To a large pot add beef, onion, peppers, pepper flakes, garlic, salt, Italian seasoning and spinach. Cook over medium high heat until beef is browned.
Add in milk, broth, macaroni and tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium low and cover with a lid.
Cook 12-15 minutes, checking and stirring every 5 minutes. If your noodles aren't cooked after 15 minutes, continue cooking.
Stir in 1 cup of cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and serve.

NOTES
See doubled ingredients below."