Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 03-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
Godslayer Jillian

Scientology

They got the cast of That 70's Show!!!
http://www.cracked.com/article_14932...tologists.html
By the way that article is actually true.

Generally, I would have never given much thought to Scientology, as it seems to stupid for it to be serious.
But recently it has hit me closer to home. I have this friend at college who has relatively recently begun frequenting the Students for Reform meetings of which I'm vice president.
He seems to support a lot of our positions (except for the legalization of drugs), but the more he hangs around with us, the more he's actually trying to push us as an organization to distribute fucking scientology pamphlets and shit like that, and convince us as individuals to actually beocme scientologists.
Last meeting a friend finally put a block to him by saying "before you go on, know this - if you are going to do something for the church of scientology, we're not going to support it"

So I hope that's that with it. However when I see everything that guy, who I admit will still be a friend of mine, is doing, it makes me scared of the tactics CoS does.

I remember him passing a leaflet with a sort of "psychological quiz" to see if you have problems. I assume you have seen those things. You ALWAYS have problems. Because YOU HAVE THETANS IN YOUR BODY!!!
But the leaflet doesn't tell you that.
When he gave it to me I smiled and nodded and politely discarded it after he left, but I noticed other people reading it were all "oh shit, that's true!"
and "oh no, I might be depressed"' without knowing what they were getting into.

And the names this fucking church/corporation (the combination makes me shiver) hides behind are possibly the worst of the dangers.
If scientology just preached about Xenu no one would take it seriously. That's why it masquerades as many organizations such as this one:
http://www.xenu.net/archive/infopack/12.htm

Human Rights! They must be very noble! Maybe they're goofy but at least it helps people, right? Right?!

It's scary that that church can have so many subsidiaries and divisions, and so much money.
So much fucking money.
How the hell did they get enough money to have their own fleet to control their business in international waters free from any government boundaries?
http://www.xenu.net/archive/so/index.html
That article is worth a read. Not only because of just how lucrative their scam seems to be, but also because it details how brutal and inhumane they are. They fucking threw members overboard if they questioned the beliefs!

Anyway, I leave off with some quotes by Hubbard himself:
http://www.xenu.net/archive/infopack/5.htm

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

PS.

Oh, and by the way, I post this as a new thread in the Politics section because of the obscene amount of political power they actually possess.
By parading their cult as both a business and a religion, they are free to do pretty much whatever the fuck they want.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:08 AM   #3
Joker_in_the_Pack

Talk about a bet getting out of hand.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:12 AM   #4
jack_the_knife

I walked past on of their centres and had to break one of the "security guards" cameras and punch one of them for them to stop photographing/harassing me.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:16 AM   #5
Joker_in_the_Pack

Fun piece of trivia, Charles Manson took 150 hours of Scientology courses then decided it was too crazy for him.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Back when I was a naive and gullible teen I took a Scientology class. I decided it was bullshit and quit after the first day.

Soon after their lawyers sent me a letter threatening to sue me if I didn't pay my $50 "donation" for the class.

This legal harassment went on for months. But I never paid their extortion money. And thank God they eventually gave up.

DON'T explore this cult! They will go after you with lawyers if you elect to no longer participate!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
Slap Your Love

Project Chanology. For the win.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
Raptor

Try searching Operation Snow White on wiki. Or Operation Freakout.

I'm not sure what came of this, but the Germans seemed to be leading the way then at least
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7133867.stm
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
Delkaetre

This Saturday I, my Gent, possibly a few members of his family, a selection of our friends, and a lot of other anonymous individuals will be standing outside the Scientology building beside Goodge St tube station. We have flyers listing Scientology's human rights abuses, a good ongoing relationship with the police (though the new camera laws make me less confident of that, as we have a lot of photographers), a selection of quotes, excerpts from the higher level teachings, several former Scientologists, a wide variety of signs, and plenty of masks because like hell are we going to make it *that* easy for the cult across the road to get our faces and details.

We will be there from around 1.30pm till around 5pm- ending earlier or later depending on weather, police enthusiasm, and our own enthusiasm.

Anyone in the UK is welcome to join us. Hell, we usually have food and drink as well, to prevent any dehydration or hunger issues through the day.

The Scientologists have apparently (though I still need to fully confirm this) recently gained full religious status in the UK. It's possible that they will try to use this to silence us and prevent our right of criticism and free speech. They're quite possibly the only 'religion' with a copyright on the reproduction of their holy lore, no deities, and no actual spiritual beliefs.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
Beneath the Shadows

Just don't wear those stupid Guy Fawkes masks. Where ski masks with a dozen cigarettes in your mouth.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
Delkaetre

Actually, I prefer other face coverings. We have two Gentleman already, one of whom was in a Borat-style Mankini last time. The mind bleach, by which I mean alcohol, did not help.
I don't wear a Fawkes mask, though. They're more a significant minority than a major theme by now.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
Slap Your Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
This Saturday I, my Gent, possibly a few members of his family, a selection of our friends, and a lot of other anonymous individuals will be standing outside the Scientology building beside Goodge St tube station. We have flyers listing Scientology's human rights abuses, a good ongoing relationship with the police (though the new camera laws make me less confident of that, as we have a lot of photographers), a selection of quotes, excerpts from the higher level teachings, several former Scientologists, a wide variety of signs, and plenty of masks because like hell are we going to make it *that* easy for the cult across the road to get our faces and details.

We will be there from around 1.30pm till around 5pm- ending earlier or later depending on weather, police enthusiasm, and our own enthusiasm.

Anyone in the UK is welcome to join us. Hell, we usually have food and drink as well, to prevent any dehydration or hunger issues through the day.

The Scientologists have apparently (though I still need to fully confirm this) recently gained full religious status in the UK. It's possible that they will try to use this to silence us and prevent our right of criticism and free speech. They're quite possibly the only 'religion' with a copyright on the reproduction of their holy lore, no deities, and no actual spiritual beliefs.
That is nothing less than awesome. I would definitely go if I lived in the UK.
I took part in one here in the states last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Just don't wear those stupid Guy Fawkes masks.
Fuck you.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:05 AM   #13
CptSternn

The term 'whacko' is bandied around way to liberally these days. It should be reserved for those who truly believe aliens populated the earth by using nuclear blasts on volcanoes.

And there is something to be said about any idea or religion that Charles Manson himself looked at and said, 'Whoa, thats too bat-shit crazy even for me!'

Whackos.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #14
Despanan

Looks like the Church of Scientology was trying to take over your political action group. Good on you for sending them packing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #15
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre View Post
This Saturday I, my Gent, possibly a few members of his family, a selection of our friends, and a lot of other anonymous individuals will be standing outside the Scientology building beside Goodge St tube station.
Ooooh I would love to participate in that, but alas, I live across the pond.

I read about the Sea Org. That's bloody ridiculous. It'd be nice if there were laws in international waters (though whether or not they're enforceable is another issue).
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:46 PM   #16
Sinjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
Fun piece of trivia, Charles Manson took 150 hours of Scientology courses then decided it was too crazy for him.
That should really say enough to the followers of Scientology!
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #17
Beneath the Shadows

I saw some of those Scientology protesters in Guy Fawkes masks in San Francisco yesterday. They were making a lot of noise.

Well, as much noise as three people on a crowded street can make...

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 04-05-2009, 11:54 PM   #18
Mr E Nigma

Jillian... you know there are plenty of legal drugs 'round this country. Fighting for the legalization of drugs is sort of like talking to a wall...
Old 04-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #19
Mr E Nigma

And if you want something a drug to trip off that's legal take Salvia divinorum

It's legal in most states

For a confirmation on your state, view here...

From most of my friends I'd say most people are given a calm sensibility and it is even noted to be quite therapeutic and so far scientists can't find any addictive or negative qualities from smoking it apart from, don't do something that could get you killed like driving. Shamans, Seers, Oracles, they all used it for divination purposes from what I can remember... Probably why it was named Salvia Divinorum..

Also a lot of my friends have told me it makes them feel like objects, example. A couple I know both took it and thought they were puddles, and thought if they hugged eachother they'd be big enough to count as a lake.... >_>

Others have thought they were a shelf, a couch, and various other inanimate objects. It also only lasts for about 2-3 minutes, 5 minutes tops.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #20
Mauritia Mayer

I don't know if I'm 'talking to a wall' here but most people - myself at least - do not support drug legalization because they have trouble finding something to get high on. Rather, it's about getting rid of the crime associated with the illegal drug trade and the injustice of 'victimless crimes'.

At any rate, most people don't enjoy salvia that much. I think it's an interesting experience, but most people I know who have tried it were scared shitless and never want to touch it again. Losing your body can be a little intimidating.
Mauritia Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #21
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauritia Mayer View Post
I don't know if I'm 'talking to a wall' here...
"Preaching to the choir" would be a more accurate phrase.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 02-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #22
Corpsey

"Even though the Artist was a horrible piece of work, the art he made was fantastic."

This rule can apply to many people, but It doesn't allow me to give any leeway to the likes of Mr Hubbard.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #23
Despanan

Plus, from a writing standpoint, Hubbard's work is shit.

You'd have to be a goddamn moron to think any of that drivel would pass for "acceptable", let alone good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:44 AM   #24
CptSternn

Well, its too too see other good righters supporting his work. If it wasn't for righters like yourself, his works would probably go inappreciated.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #25
Corpsey

Frank Herbert would eat his work for breakfast.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote