Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 11-30-2005, 12:41 PM   #101
Scythan

Such things as love and hate are emotions. They are chemical changes produced by our bodies reacting to a stimulus. They can be measured, and are physical elements of the universe.

Concepts such as "evil" are reacted to with emotions. We interpret things as evil, but nothing has a property called "evil". It is just in our minds.
Scythan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:08 PM   #102
Disfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythan
Such things as love and hate are emotions. They are chemical changes produced by our bodies reacting to a stimulus. They can be measured, and are physical elements of the universe.

Concepts such as "evil" are reacted to with emotions. We interpret things as evil, but nothing has a property called "evil". It is just in our minds.
Emotions are more than that; we can explain what happens chemically in our brains, but we can't explain why.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:10 PM   #103
Scythan

They are reactions to certain stimuli. These reactions differ by the stimulus, and by learned or inherited behavior.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:26 PM   #104
Disfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythan
They are reactions to certain stimuli. These reactions differ by the stimulus, and by learned or inherited behavior.
Yes, but why were these traits learned or inherited over others?

It will just continue on and on. There will eventually be unanswerables.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:31 PM   #105
Scythan

As I have said before, they are there to increase effectiveness of communication within human society. As we change, our societies change, and thus our morals will, as a consequence or side-effect.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:36 PM   #106
Disfunction

I find myself in a state of disagreement, though I doubt either of us will sway the other either way. Well-thought arguments.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:38 PM   #107
Scythan

Thank you; yours are, as well. I guess you can tell that I have thought a lot about these types of things.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:53 PM   #108
angleangel_doom

Evil, to me, is something that just doesn't feel....right. It can lead one event to another and e/affect another's life in a horrible, terrible way and may result in extreme unhappiness or even death.
We have just as much power to create good, however; most of the time it really depends on our moral upbringing or lack there of that affects how we act.
We can become the right little guy on your shoulder or the left, depending on how you see things.
angleangel_doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:01 PM   #109
Manimal

I've had poopies that didn't feel right... doesn't mean they were evil.
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:16 PM   #110
insane_lover44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Evil is often ignorance.
well said, xnguela.
insane_lover44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:23 PM   #111
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by angleangel_doom
Evil, to me, is something that just doesn't feel....right. It can lead one event to another and e/affect another's life in a horrible, terrible way and may result in extreme unhappiness or even death.
We have just as much power to create good, however; most of the time it really depends on our moral upbringing or lack there of that affects how we act.
We can become the right little guy on your shoulder or the left, depending on how you see things.
What is evil to one person is often perfectly acceptable to the next. It's all relative, really, to who you're talking.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:58 PM   #112
Manimal

I'm really happy that Wolfmoon is here today. She is the opposite of evil.
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:28 PM   #113
NyQuil of Doom

But that depends on what the definition of "is" is!

...sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:56 PM   #114
joyslayer

Reality is a way of explaining things. I mean, what one might see as their reality, another would see as an illusion. Everything is based on preception. As is Evil and good.

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
joyslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:41 PM   #115
winged_dreams

Your mom? I don't know. I think that true good and evil don't exist. People can do evil or good acts but it's all a matter of perception.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:32 AM   #116
Blushing Heliophobe

I think Good and Evil are subjective to each individual.

To a white bread, American, Protestant suburbanite - Evil in their mind is the girl walking into an abortion clinic.

To a hurting teenage girl trying to deal with the emotional and physical after effects of a date r*pe - Evil is personified by the judgemental Christians who heckle her as she walks into the abortion clinic.

I don't believe that evil can be categorized by Little Evil, Medium Evil, and Big Evil.

It's the word we ascribe to being hurt, or others hurting us.

When people try to force their views, morality, or anything of the sort upon someone else.

(speaking of which, it really bothers me when someone tries to do that. If you really believe in the way of life that you are trying to force someone else into, then forcing them into it when they do not in fact agree with it is the surest way to get them to reject it. Makes sense? No.)

Yup. That's what I think.
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:16 PM   #117
joyslayer

Hey, that made sense. , not, but i do agree. Perceptin dictates all.

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 12-01-2005, 05:39 PM   #118
Draygorn

Evil can be very tricky to define. Some say that we are driven to evil, others maintain that we are born with an inherent amount of evil though the degree may vary from person to person. I think it's a bit of both. However, that doesn't really answer the question. So I'll tell you what *I* think evil is: evil is the abandonment of the human spirit and the willful reversion to the subhuman or animal state of consciousness, wherein all the moral constraints of human society are cast aside. This may manifest itself in a variety of ways; taking what does not belong to you, despite the fact that you have no real need for it. Coveting what is not yours is another example. Killing without just cause (a life is in jeopardy), ****, assault, cheating on your mate, gluttony...whatever goes against the moral code of the society you live in. The list can go on and on.
Draygorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:46 PM   #119
joyslayer

Yes, that answer does seem to be the most logical, although some are as well. It is all based on how you perceive tha acts of bad that happen.

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 12-01-2005, 11:50 PM   #120
Sanctus Dei

Life is not a series of good or evil.. I'm not even sure they apply in the same relation as man to woman. In my uneducated opinion life is a series of choices that may reach one extreme or another, what ever force created us gave us the ablity to comprehend the understanding that we have the capability to pick amongst these choices fully knowing each one could affect one thing or another at some period in time. "Good" and "Evil" are purely inventions of man both of which are entirely based on the fear of loss... emotion... and the ablity to comprend.. and the bible (which must be noted was entirely written by man and is subject to error)

Example: When an animal kills another animal do we call it evil? No.. they live on instict and are not subject to society opinion or influence. When a human kills a human do we call it evil? Yes... but why?
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:59 PM   #121
rockandrose

Ha!

"Life is a series of" sex, food and poetry.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:57 AM   #122
Blushing Heliophobe

Well, I guess in that instance it depends on whether you believe Man = Animal, or Man > Animal.

If Man is just another Animal then anything he does is survival motivated and therefore not Evil.

If Man is above Animal, then he is more likely to be held to a system of Right VS Wrong and therefore susceptible to Evil.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:19 PM   #123
joyslayer

I disagree with that.

Hear no evil
Speak no evil
See no evil
Old 12-04-2005, 11:23 PM   #124
Blushing Heliophobe

"Example: When an animal kills another animal do we call it evil? No.. they live on instict and are not subject to society opinion or influence. When a human kills a human do we call it evil? Yes... but why?"

Well...I think the answer to this question depends on whether or not you consider Man to be the same as Animal or not.

What would you consider the answer to be?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:43 PM   #125
Sanctus Dei

The statement has nothing to do with your question.

Whether animal and man differ has no relevence, I was focusing on the idea of murder and the label it receives based on the beliefs of the society it occurs in. Evil is a label for what is considered wrong doing.. it is an adjective.. a descriptive... not tangible. Understand? Think of some of the things truly considered evil (not murder) and then ask yourself why that is? Technically nothing you do is inherently wrong, what makes it evil is societies opinion.

Here is a better example for you Helio: A child takes a toy from another child.. is this evil? Ofcourse not.. not to him he has yet to be taught by his parents that it is wrong. A adult steals from another adult.... is it evil? Well ofcourse... he has been taught to believe it is, as have the rest of us.
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote