Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #26
Maldarion_Haliax

Wee I think when it gets warmer I'll make the hike to the one in town.I wish i still lived in ludington,There plenty around there.What's the best one any of you have found?
For me there was one in a hickass town called MiddleBrooke in Missouri and it was pretty small but shrouded in trees and it was pretty old it was perfect about midafternoon.
Maldarion_Haliax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #27
DeathToLems

If this topic is still open in a weeks time I could posably get pictures of the ones I liked.
Or figure out if I can send picturs to my e.mail from my phone.
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #28
Mirei Raven

Good idea. And you should be able to send pics from phone to email. I do it all the time.

I just found this secluded cemetary by a stream near my house. I didn't even know it was a cemetary at first cause it's all overgrown and stuff. It has those flat little grave markers that I can't stand, but the scenery is lovely. There's even a tree that I've labeled the 'tree of the dead' (partly cause its a dead tree and partly because I found a dead bloody raccoon inside). Maybe I'll post the pictures of the area if I get a chance.
Mirei Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:12 PM   #29
le_revenant

If the weather was good (i.e. overcast & windy!), I used to go to cemeteries more frequently that I do now. The cookie-cutter ones are pretty accessable and not all that interesting (to me anyway).

Our town's uber-cool nineteenth century ones, however, are in a bad part of town, in the middle of gang-infested neighborhoods. Though many of them beg to be looked at & treasured for their architecture, their residents , and because they're so beautifully neglected, over the years people stripped them of their protective metal fencing. The city doesn't consider them a priority, but rather the responsibility of the group (i.e Masonic, Confederate, etc.) to whom they belong. Altho there are six that are actually titled "City Cemetery No. 1, 2, et. al., the city doesn't mind looking the other way instead of fixing them!

They're not well patrolled by the police so one's meditative moment might end up being interrupted by some pipe-wielding homeless loon off their meds, or several 'bangers looking to speedily help you on your way to the hereafter!

Damn shame.
Just the same, about 45 minutes west of here is this fine slice of Victorian death culture:
Old D'Hanis, TX cemetery.

Been there only once. Been meaning to go back & revisit such a European-looking place.
le_revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #30
Anti-Mindvirus

Ha, I'm too goth

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...albumId=693139
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...albumId=705984

I go to the Cemetery at least three times a month.. it is so pretty and calm there.. (SB people should join me next time...)
Anti-Mindvirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #31
ForgetThisLostLenore

I have yet to visit the one on the other side of town from me, though once I can drive and with a large group of friends. There's good reasons why I don't frequent the other side of town, lots of weirdos. It's also right across the street from a car dealer. I'd never go there at night, namely for my own safety, and I'd find some of my biggest, strongest guy friends to accompany me during the day,
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:49 PM   #32
Lolly PopMuzik

Uh, way to discover something that everyone else already did or knew about!

With that said, I went down to Holy Cross Cemetery down in San Diego (my adopted home town). My date/friend stood me up but I still had fun in spite of worrying about stepping all over the flat grave markers.

I need to check out the Mount Hope Cemetery, I was always excited to pass it on the trolley on my way from school. Many areas segregated back in the day by cultures and crypts...
Lolly PopMuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #33
Opteron_Man

Thanks Lolly PopMuzik for pointing that out! Your the only one so far that has been rude about my ignorance on the subject of graveyard visiting. Sorry I don't know everything about Goth life.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:10 AM   #34
Cicero

The Coptic graveyard in Cairo is pretty nice, especially early on a misty winter's morning. That and the Giza plateau (probably the most famous graveyard in the world!).

I don't really hang out in graveyards at home - the only one I'd go to is where most of my deceased family's been buried, and even that would purely be for the sake of visiting my granddad. I just visit them overseas for interest's sake since the way people are buried tells a lot about a culture.

(Oh and the term 'goth life' is ridiculous. There is no specific 'lifestyle' for people who happen to have a particular taste in music and fashion. I don't know any two goths in real life who live the same lifestyles - it's pretty much irrelevant to gothiness.)

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:26 AM   #35
Opteron_Man

I said "Goth Life" because I couldn't think of another term at the time. And because I was a bit steamed about Lolly PopMuzik's sarcastic comment. "Gothiness", thats is what I meant.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:37 AM   #36
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I don't like graveyards because they're "goth", I just like them because they are beautiful. Well, most of them, some of them are in the middle of the concrete jungle and are in poor repair, such as in Concord California.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:09 AM   #37
Mirei Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
I don't like graveyards because they're "goth", I just like them because they are beautiful. Well, most of them, some of them are in the middle of the concrete jungle and are in poor repair, such as in Concord California.
I agree. It's the beauty of them that draws so many of us to them, not necessarily the fact that it's a cemetary. Okay, so the idea of knowing that there are dead bodies under your feet dues seem rather "gothy", especially to many outsiders, but I think it's more the serenity (if that's a word) and idea of it being a quiet sanctuary from everyday troubles.

Now, even the ones that are in the middle of concrete jungles hold a sense of beauty. Some of them are overgrown, littered with garbage and drunks, but inside, the people living there are at peace and no onger have to worry about all the little problems that we stress over daily. I guess it's sort of an obvious form of symbolism, but some people who I talk to tend to not realise it.
Mirei Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:17 AM   #38
Smile

There's this graveyard that's two minutes' walk from my friend's place. Went there with him one time and it great! Once you get to the highest (well, I wouldn't call it tombstone, because they don't exactly have those in Chinese cemeteries...but it's the Chinese equivalent to one) you can see the entire town! But, then again it also has its shortcomings, the humidity and heat (during the summer) will melt your panties off and the fire ants will eat your flesh.

92% of kids in America turned to rap.
8% stayed true to rock
If you are part of the 8%, put this in your signature.
Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:18 AM   #39
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirei Raven
I agree. It's the beauty of them that draws so many of us to them, not necessarily the fact that it's a cemetary. Okay, so the idea of knowing that there are dead bodies under your feet dues seem rather "gothy", especially to many outsiders, but I think it's more the serenity (if that's a word) and idea of it being a quiet sanctuary from everyday troubles.

Now, even the ones that are in the middle of concrete jungles hold a sense of beauty. Some of them are overgrown, littered with garbage and drunks, but inside, the people living there are at peace and no onger have to worry about all the little problems that we stress over daily. I guess it's sort of an obvious form of symbolism, but some people who I talk to tend to not realise it.
Ah yes, I agree with your opinion that cemeteries are serene. Nobody can hurt you there because everybody's already dead.

92% of kids in America turned to rap.
8% stayed true to rock
If you are part of the 8%, put this in your signature.
Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:02 AM   #40
chelseagirl

I've always been drawn to graveyards...I find them beautiful and relaxing.

I got married a while back in one, it was beautifl.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #41
the_cure

I've done this a few times. Both during and after my gothness. It is rather peaceful. Especially if it's a really old graveyard. That way fewer people visit to disturb the quiet.
the_cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:21 AM   #42
drewsilla

I also love taking pictures of graveyards. The pictures turn out so well! There's lots of old country churches near where I live, so I get my pick of cool markers to take pictures of. There is a few graveyards in Atlanta that I really want to visit. The stonework from the pics I've seen is just beautiful and haunting.

One day, I hope to get together some of my pics and make a photo/poetry book of them. Just the idea of that makes me smile!
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #43
DeathToLems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Mindvirus
Ha, I'm too goth

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...albumId=693139
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...albumId=705984

I go to the Cemetery at least three times a month.. it is so pretty and calm there.. (SB people should join me next time...)

Were they orbs? or camera flears?
Im not sure but somehow being in a cemetary makes it more spooky ^_^
Old 03-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #44
Anti-Mindvirus

I don't know... but these are all taken when my camera was three days old..
Anti-Mindvirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #45
DeathToLems

OMGBBQCHICKN!! It works!! (picture from my phone to e.mail)
OK so its not a grave yard but if you look really really really closely you might see it in the reflection of the windows because its exactly opposite this building.
I took a picture of this place a while ago cos i love the architecture of it.
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/9...wletterxc6.jpg
I use to go past it everyday because my bus stop was right next to it.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:53 AM   #46
emeraldlonewoulf

The most unique "gravestone" I've ever seen was in a graveyard about halfway between Yarnell and Prescott, in Arizona. It is just this tiny graveyard, maybe about three acres, tops. Some of the graves are marked in the 1800's. Anyway, back in an old corner, in a family plot, there is one grave off to the side, marked by an old leather saddle. It is coated in shellac or marine varnish, or something similar. Whatever it is it has lasted several years.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:11 PM   #47
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man
Thanks Lolly PopMuzik for pointing that out! Your the only one so far that has been rude about my ignorance on the subject of graveyard visiting. Sorry I don't know everything about Goth life.

Which is silly because everybody who bothers to read my posts knows how much I ABHOR it when people in the scene call it a lifestyle/life/divine birthright/protected class.

Anyway, I DO apologize if it came off as snippy, I didn't mean it that way. Don't worry about keeping up with the Addamses! Now kick Daddy good night and run along to bed.
Lolly PopMuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:00 PM   #48
Opteron_Man

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik
Which is silly because everybody who bothers to read my posts knows how much I ABHOR it when people in the scene call it a lifestyle/life/divine birthright/protected class.

Anyway, I DO apologize if it came off as snippy, I didn't mean it that way. Don't worry about keeping up with the Addamses! Now kick Daddy good night and run along to bed.
Okay, no problem then!
Old 03-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #49
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldlonewoulf
The most unique "gravestone" I've ever seen was in a graveyard about halfway between Yarnell and Prescott, in Arizona. It is just this tiny graveyard, maybe about three acres, tops. Some of the graves are marked in the 1800's. Anyway, back in an old corner, in a family plot, there is one grave off to the side, marked by an old leather saddle. It is coated in shellac or marine varnish, or something similar. Whatever it is it has lasted several years.
I have some unique grave marker photos I have taken from Boston:

Here is the nameplate on the grave marker:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r.../Boston018.jpg

And the grave marker itself:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r.../Boston019.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r.../Boston020.jpg

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #50
Mir

And to be fair, the best time to walk around a cemetery would be at night.

Just make sure the cemetery is in a 'good' part of town and you don't have yobs/chavs/hobos/gangsters walking around, looking for people to mug.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote