Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
Jaye Jang

What's eating you?

Okay, for all those folks who presumably have an ax to grind. No names necessary.

Mine is primarily people who are deliberately ignorant. I have zero tolerance. I can handle people who simply cannot help themselves. I can even feel sorry for them. But people who choose to act ignorant annoy me to no end. (For example, I detest women who think they're obligated to act helpless simply because they are female. I also have a low tolerance for males who belch and scratch themselves in pulblic. Makes me want to gag).
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I think the concept of deliberate ignorance is a contradiction in a way, because choosing to be ignorant, is itself a true ignorant act. As such any choice in the matter of being ignorant is negated by the choice being made through an ignorant nature.

or to put it bluntly... Only an idiot would choose to be an idiot

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
Murder.Of.Crows

Pretty much what Renatus said. Also, helplessness and vulgarity are hardly forms of ignorance, either.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #4
Jaye Jang

Valid point to you both. I was just thinking about people I've met who are that way, though (although you're right, ignoramuses do not really constitute an 'ax to grind' so much as a pet peeve). But I have met people who are deliberately 'ignorant,' even to the point of being gross and some who are deliberately 'helpless' (i.e. I had a friend whose mom wouldn't even flip a light switch because she swore that was "a man's job." I mean, she would actually sit in the dark until he or his dad came home and turned on the lights. She had issues. I also had a relative who was highly intelligent and educated, but would say and do perfectly gross things in public just to be an ignoramus. My sister finally asked him why and he replied that it was because he was "ignorant and proud of it," as if that rated brownie points from the universe, or something. That's an ax to grind, because people like that are annoying.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:42 AM   #5
Versus

I have remained deliberately ignorant because I sometimes have difficulty dealing with my anger about things that I cannot control.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:05 AM   #6
Jaye Jang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
I have remained deliberately ignorant because I sometimes have difficulty dealing with my anger about things that I cannot control.
I can relate. However, in my case I don't get deliberately ignorant, so much as self-destructive. For example, I work with a person who thinks I'm totally incompetent and treats me like an idiot. If I didn't need the job so badly (pays my rent, etc.), the equitable thing to do would be to quit. Otherwise, the professional thing would be to just do such a good job that I didn't give this person fuel for her fire, but instead I mess up whenever she's around. Last week, she was on vacation and I didn't make even one mistake on my job. As soon as she came back, I started messing up (last night I made four major errors back-to-back). I don't do it deliberately, but I just sometimes wonder what makes ME tick. I had to finally walk away from my job last night for awhile and ask myself how much I really wanted the job. (I already know I need the job, so that's a moot point). I finally decided that I want and need the job enough that I can't let this woman's obviously negative attitude get to me, so I HAVE to find ways to focus and not mess up when she's around. I also need to find a professional, objective way to find out what's eating her, and work around that so that her negative attitude does not affect my work flow. So, it's a learning curve. (Sometimes when you have an 'ax to grind', you have to 'bury the hatchet' -- and not in somebody else's head).
Old 05-17-2012, 03:09 AM   #7
Versus

That's not what ignorant means.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:29 AM   #8
Jaye Jang

Quote:
That's not what ignorant means.
Okay. I'm intrigued. So what does ignorant mean to you?
Old 05-17-2012, 04:08 AM   #9
Versus

It's not a homonym.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:23 AM   #10
Jackson Cutler

I really fucking hate people that think they can act a certain way because they have money or because of their family. Seriously, fuck those cunts.
Jackson Cutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:38 AM   #11
Jaye Jang

Quote:
It's not a homonym.
Okay, so now I'm confused. A homonym is a word that has the same spelling or pronunciation as another, but has a different meaning. So, when I asked what your definition of ignorant meant, I meant what does it connote to you?
(I know what the denotation, actual definition means, e.g. someone who is unlearned. I also know that the connation, subjective meaning, usually refers to someone who acts unlearned. Where I'm from the connotation is also mildly derogatory. For example, if someone is "acting out" in public or being a jerk, we say he or she is "just being ignorant"). So, do you have a different connotation? In short, what does the word mean to you?
Old 05-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
AshleyO

I had chips and salsa a second ago. I might have a peanut butter sandwich later.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
Murder.Of.Crows

Ignorance is not a derogatory term for acting out. Saying it is, well is just plain stupid. Ignorance is merely the lack of knowledge. It isn't bad and I'm a bit tired of people referring to it as an insult. It should just be a point of fact. Ugh, in example, a protester against gay people are ignorant because of their lack of education in gay people and what makes them gay. Not because we hate them and just want to call them a synonym for stupid.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
Jaye Jang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
Ignorance is not a derogatory term for acting out. Saying it is, well is just plain stupid. Ignorance is merely the lack of knowledge. It isn't bad and I'm a bit tired of people referring to it as an insult. It should just be a point of fact. Ugh, in example, a protester against gay people are ignorant because of their lack of education in gay people and what makes them gay. Not because we hate them and just want to call them a synonym for stupid.
Yeah, but it's just a figure of speech, so good luck trying to get people not to use the word 'ignorant' in that context. Especially since it's a 'regional' thing and people where I'm from are going to continue using it that way until it gets old, or until they find another descriptor they like better. It's just like, when somebody is 'off' here, whether they're totally off or just being attitudinal, we don't say that person is crazy or bitchy or whatever. We say he or she 'has issues.' (Nobody here ever specifies what those 'issues' are either, and they'd look at you funny if you asked). Capice.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
Versus

Demanding that other people return the courtesy of articulating their words clearly when they speak is just asking too much. Demanding that other people recognize that many of the things they say can unintentionally hurt others is going too far.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #16
Murder.Of.Crows

Damn, maybe I am asking for too much here. I was just hoping people could stop deliberately acting ignorant.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #17
Class-Punk

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye Jang View Post
I also have a low tolerance for males who belch and scratch themselves in pulblic. Makes me want to gag).
Oh.

----

Message Too Long. Keyword, Locksentence. Big Black Delta. Ron Paul 2012.
Class-Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #18
Grausamkeit

My coffee is delicious!

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #19
Murder.Of.Crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
My coffee is delicious!
GRAUS! Your back, oh happy day!
Old 05-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #20
Jaye Jang

What's eating me today is that I have go go in to work even though I'm sick, it's raining and snowing and I feel lousy. I can't get off work even though I'm sick, because we're short-handed. Besides I need the money. It wouldn't be sooo bad if our QA Lead were still on vacation. I didn't make even one mistake while she was gone. I made four the day she came back. I know I shouldn't allow the woman to intimidate me, but it's hard to be stoic when she's so aggressive and I feel so lousy right now. It's doesn't help that she's mercilless. She's already written me up twice today and I haven't even started my shift yet. I'm beginning to think it's personal with her. I think what would 'make her day' would be if I quit, but then she would just go after someone else. I have to keep reminding myself when she's ragging on me not to take it personally because she rags on everybody, including the boss. She's just hard-wired that way.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #21
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
GRAUS! Your back, oh happy day!
I am indeed! ^_^

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #22
ape descendant

When I saw the title to this thread it made me think of this show I've been watching in which people have exotic pets and tend to end up as their beloved pets' dinner.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #23
Jaye Jang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
When I saw the title to this thread it made me think of this show I've been watching in which people have exotic pets and tend to end up as their beloved pets' dinner.
Lol. I hadn't thought of that. I was just thinking of something that has gone on longer than a momentary rant, and more serious than a pet peeve (mine being my magnetic attraction for catsup packages that squirt all over me). Actually, that's kind of funny.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #24
Murder.Of.Crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye Jang View Post
Lol. I hadn't thought of that. I was just thinking of something that has gone on longer than a momentary rant, and more serious than a pet peeve (mine being my magnetic attraction for catsup packages that squirt all over me). Actually, that's kind of funny.
Why did I get aroused from this?
Old 05-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #25
ape descendant

Too much Anime.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote