Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
Wintermute

Jouzu Desu Ne

Well this little bio thing makes it nice and convenient.

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)

I think. Constantly. About everything. Until I can't think anymore, my mind completely shuts off, and I get a moment of wonderful gnosis.

I don't have a job. I'm a full-time student, my major is library sciences. I want to be a librarian. It requires a masters degree. I'll be in school for awhile.

2. Where are you from?

Originally, Santa Rosa, CA. Then Langhorne, PA. Then Cheyenne, WY. Now I'm in Medford, OR.

3. Who is your favorite author?

William Gibson.

4. What are your favorite films?

Bladerunner, Ghost in the Shell, Dark City, The Matrix.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?

Nothing. I will never be married.

6. At your funeral?

The Ghostbusters themesong, along with that loud annoying siren that their car emits.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?

A plane crash.

8. What kind of casket would you want?

I want my remains incinerated, and then contained within an empty Pringles can. BBQ flavor.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?

I'm divided. Either all black and angelic, or all white and angelic. Angels are about as goth as it gets, in my opinion. Either way, I keep the traditional black hair, and black nails, eyeliner, light toned foundation. Sometimes I even use mascara, eyeshadow, and black or silver lipstick/lip-gloss.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?

My massive LEGO collection.

11. What's your favorite band?

Third Realm. Used to be Dawn of Ashes, until they fucked up and went metal instead of aggrotech.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?

See question 1.

13. Why did you join?

I'm very fond of sadism and masochism.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?

Effeminate heterosexual male.
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:44 AM   #2
Apathy's_Child

"Library science"?

So that's, like, how to operate a database, how to use a filing system (i.e. reading those little stickers wih numbers on the spines of the books) and how to hand someone a book over a desk without biting them in the face or otherwise offending them?

Shit, just when you think certain branches of higher education can't get any more pointless...

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:52 AM   #3
Wintermute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
"Library science"?

So that's, like, how to operate a database, how to use a filing system (i.e. reading those little stickers wih numbers on the spines of the books) and how to hand someone a book over a desk without biting them in the face or otherwise offending them?

Shit, just when you think certain branches of higher education can't get any more pointless...
Would you believe you need a fucking MASTERS degree to be a librarian too? No shit.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:04 AM   #4
Apathy's_Child

Damn... that shit is depressing. I should really get back to college and do a BA in DVD arrangement, else my esteemed colleagues will leave my ass in the dust. And that'd just be embarrassing - one of them is LD.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:15 AM   #5
Wintermute

It is pretty sad.

I mean, you're pretty much right on the money with the job description. I worked in a library part time for a few years starting back when I was in my senior year at high-school. Basically they just hang out around the info desk going through and categorizing books, marking books that need to get pulled, and new books they get in every week, and occasionally they attend some kind of event or whatever the library hosts now and then. Most of the time though, they're just sitting there at the computer sipping their mocha and browsing the internet.

The classwork is more interesting than the job itself really. It's not just a bunch of database and taxonomy classes, although you do have to take a bunch of that. It's a lot of information sciences and literature and history and you kind of have to learn a thing or two about a lot of different subjects, even beyond just general education requirements. You get to pick an emphasis on some particular genre that you're supposed to focus on. I decided to go with anthropology, because I like arts and humanities.

I might actually minor in some field of anthropology. Maybe classic literature or world religions.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
viscus

へたくそだよ。

Only joking. Props for Nueromancer.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
It is pretty sad.

I mean, you're pretty much right on the money with the job description. I worked in a library part time for a few years starting back when I was in my senior year at high-school. Basically they just hang out around the info desk going through and categorizing books, marking books that need to get pulled, and new books they get in every week, and occasionally they attend some kind of event or whatever the library hosts now and then. Most of the time though, they're just sitting there at the computer sipping their mocha and browsing the internet.

The classwork is more interesting than the job itself really. It's not just a bunch of database and taxonomy classes, although you do have to take a bunch of that. It's a lot of information sciences and literature and history and you kind of have to learn a thing or two about a lot of different subjects, even beyond just general education requirements. You get to pick an emphasis on some particular genre that you're supposed to focus on. I decided to go with anthropology, because I like arts and humanities.

I might actually minor in some field of anthropology. Maybe classic literature or world religions.
Wow, here its just a certificate you get, can't remember how long it takes but people usually do library sciences to go along with their degree so they don't end up flipping burgers after they graduate. I think other universities offer library sciences as a degree but as far as I know its not necessary to be a librarian.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:53 AM   #8
Wintermute

It is if you want to be part of the ALA and be guaranteed at least 40k a year. Otherwise, yeah. You could be stuck flipping burgers with a useless certificate. Especially with a lot of libraries being shut down. Thankfully librarians who possess ALA accredited degrees are protected by congress and shouldn't have a hard time finding a position at a library somewhere. You might have to move someplace you might not have wanted to, however.

But, of course, America has different regulations and such. There's federal laws regarding it over here.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #9
Apathy's_Child

What's your favorite Gibson?

Old 01-23-2010, 03:59 AM   #10
Wintermute

All Tommorow's Parties.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #11
Jessaminz

Good call on the Pringles can.
I completely agree with you on Dawn of Ashes making a huge mistake.
Jessaminz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:32 AM   #12
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
All Tommorow's Parties.
Haven't read that one, maybe I'll check it out. It's a continuation of Virtual Light, right?

Sci-fi generally, or just Gibson?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #13
Wintermute

I'm kind of picky about my sci-fi. I'm really into cyberpunk. Not a huge fan of space operas, but Dune was pretty good.

All Tommorow's Parties is a stand-alone novel, but it revisits characters from Idoru.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:35 PM   #14
Apathy's_Child

William Burroughs fan, by any chance?

Old 01-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #15
Wintermute

I'm not -not- a fan. Just not an avid reader of Burroughs.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #16
Ben Lahnger

So, you won me over with Blade Runner, Dark City and Gibson (I loved "Idoru"; if you think "All Tomorrows Parties" is better I need to get it yesterday!)

And the idea of Ecto-1's siren running rampant at someone's funeral just amuses the hell out of me!

Welcome to this place. I look forward to your contributions.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote